Beginners and Beyond

RR: Brazos Bend Trail Half Marathon- PR (Read 82 times)

Brazos Bend Keep on Truckin Trail Race

Short Version:

Who: T-Rod

What: Half Marathon Trail Race

When: Sunday Jan 27, 2013 7:15am

Where: Brazos Bend State Park, Needville, TX

Time: 2:18:45

Notes: First Trail Race, Huge PR (24 min)

Long Version:

This is the story of my poor attempt at a self sabotage and a good race. I spotted this race last fall when I was looking for races that are in Texas. The Brazos Bend Keep on Truckin Trail Race is a free event that had a half marathon, marathon, and 50k option. This race was only two weeks after my first marathon and I figured why not attempt the half marathon and have an excuse to go see an old buddy. I ended up having a good day.

I few weeks ago I let an old buddy of mine know that we would be in the area if he wanted company on a Saturday night. In the past this usually meant cooking way too much BBQ, eating as much as we could and drinking more beer than anyone should. My family and I arrive at my buddy’s house around 7:00pm, the ribs were on the pit, and another good friend of ours was already there and they had a good head start on the beer drinking. I had told my wife and friend that I would have two beers. I think we all knew that this was a lie. I think I had 7, but I was still in decent shape. I did eat more sausage and ribs than I needed too, but I guess the fat boy in me still makes is appearances. We finally shut the party down about 11:30 and I was in bed by midnight.

Sunday morning the alarm goes off about 5:30 and I fumble around turn off the alarm and grab my bag that has my racing stuff. On the way out the door, I double check my directions and make sure I know where I am going as I have never been to this state park before. About half way there I wanted to double check the website for any info about this FREE race. The first thing that I see was, “Registration is at Capacity, Registration is closed.” I was freaking ticked off, but I was going to show and run this race anyway.  When I get there people were registering as many people that had registered were not showing up and the course was big enough that extra bodies were not a big deal.

I was warned by my sister that I would probably get choked up and cry before this race. I told her that the only way I would cry is if I was below 2:20. Well about 7:10am a worker sings the national anthem and I had to hold back the tears. I was finally about to run a race that I felt that I was prepared for. There were about 200 people or so at the race. I would think that two-thirds of the people were doing the half marathon, a few the full, and only a handful doing the 50K. There were some of the marathoners/ ultra runners that looked fast before the race started and then there were some people there to walk the half marathon, there was also a mom pushing a stroller on the trail. There really were all sorts of people.

The race started at 7:15. I had positioned myself near the back, but ahead of the walkers and the stroller. My typical routine on a training run is to start off with a 12 min mile or two and then speed up and find my groove for the workout. This being a race and on a trail, I wasn’t really sure what the overall plan was. I knew the pace that I needed to run 2:30, but I wasn’t sure how to pace it or how to start. I just started running with the crowd that looked like I could keep up with. Mile one was 10:46 this felt a little hard and I was thinking that I would crash and burn, but I would see what happened. I soon realized that I had forgotten to turn on the audio cues on my app, so I wouldn’t have any idea how far I had gone or how my pacing was. The trail was marked to keep us on track, but there were not any distance makers. I had noticed a lady wearing a Houston Marathon finisher’s shirt at the race so I decided to keep an eye on her and see how fast she was going. During mile two I heard a couple of guys talking about watching movies in school the next day, so we chit chatted for a few minutes about our jobs, as we were all educators.

I would guess about mile 3 I had caught up to the lady wearing the Houston shirt and she said, “Did you say you were an assistant principal?” We ended up talking about family, running, school, crappy weather at the Houston Marathon and stuff like that. At one point she mentioned that she had run 3 half marathons and she has run between 2:12- 2:20. I start to think that if I can just hang with here for a while then way to blow up I will still set a PR. Near mile 9 she had to stop for a rest room break so I kept going. I knew I was on pace to have a huge PR coming off of marathon training and I just had to hold on.

Miles 2-9 were: 2 (10:27), 3(10:18), 4 (10:18), 5 (9:47), 6 (7:45) ***the gps must be wrong I am not that fast***, 7 (9:38), 8 (10:09), and 9 (9:23).

The last few miles I spent trying to catch some people. I caught a few and nobody passed me. There were some that I passed and they later passed me, but I wasn’t too worried about that. The GPS on the phone must have been off, as when my phone said 13.1 the end wasn’t in sight (the joys of a trail run I guess). Finally I see the light and realize that the end is near. Mile 10 (9:26), Mile 11 (10:05), Mile 12 (10:17), mile 13 (11:26), mile 14 (11:16 pace). My phone said the course was 13.8 miles but I think that the course was closer to 13.1.

Post Race: I was pretty excited with my 2:18:45. I was pretty tired but I knew to keep moving around for a few minutes before sitting on my butt. I had a soda and an orange. I waited for the lady that helped pace me to tell her thanks. The race director and his sister in-law were handing out bowls of taco soup that smelled pretty good. I felt bad about taking free food from a free race. I sent a text to my wife and sisters to let them know how I had done. I feel like I can drop that time some, but I am still pretty pumped about a 24 min PR since October. I am glad that the carb loading with Fat Tire beer didn’t hurt me from the night before and glad the sausage and ribs didn’t come back up as I thought there was a chance it could happen. So basically I raced good and self-sabotaged poorly.

Thanks for reading.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

nice !

P.S. thats out in my neck of the woods.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Does that "I'll just have two" strategy ever work for anyone? haha.  As for the the eating, we ALL overindulge from time to time, regardless of how thin we are, and especially if there's some darn good BBQ to be had!  I can't believe there was a lady with a stroller for a trail race, that's just crazy stuff.  As for the race, you did a really great job.  Your paces were strong the whole way, and you really seem to be improving in your running.  Considering you just ran your first full a couple weeks ago, you should feel very proud of yourself.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Jen16226

Great job and thanks for sharing!!!!!!

Goals for 2013:

Run 10K Race- ACCOMPLISHED!!!!

Run HM

RACES:

2-9 Kittanning Rotary Club 5K 44:38 on ice UGH

3-9 New Port Richey, Fl Pasco Challenge 10K- 1:22:55

5-12 Komen Pittsburgh Race for the Cure 5K

7-6 Ford City Heritage Days 5K

8-4 Pittsburgh Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon

9-29 Richard S.Caliguri City of Pittsburgh Great Race 5K

tracilynn

Great job.  HAPPY FOR YOU!

~~~~~~~

Traci

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I've never even attempted a trail race, but it sounds like you did a hell of a job.  I'm just curious.  Is there a race out there that does intimidate you?  I'm impressed at your ability to just tackle any race.  Great job!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

hog4life

Tomas, that was some kickin' butt! Nice job. How was the course? Hilly? Technical? Single track? I bet your next road race half will be fantastic.

Wait, there were people with strollers on your trail race?

That is a terrific time, especially on the trails.  Was this your first trail race?

Congratulations!

Tomas, that was some kickin' butt! Nice job. How was the course? Hilly? Technical? Single track? I bet your next road race half will be fantastic.

the course was pretty flat. much flatter than my road half marathon. It was moslty crushed rock/gravel type stuff with some dirt paths that were not too narrow. People could easily run next to their friends. Like I had mentioned there was a jog stroller out there so it wasnt too bad.

I am such a noob, that I dont know what technical even means, so I am going to say not technical. there were some roots coming through the dirt in places, but even as a shuffler I never stumbled.

Tomas

I've never even attempted a trail race, but it sounds like you did a hell of a job.  I'm just curious.  Is there a race out there that does intimidate you?  I'm impressed at your ability to just tackle any race.  Great job!

Awood- I am too dumb to know if I should be scared of something. Heck I deal with middle school aged kids all day long roads and dirt are not too bad. The roads dont have mommas get mad over silly things Smile

Thanks man.

Tomas

Wait, there were people with strollers on your trail race?

That is a terrific time, especially on the trails.  Was this your first trail race?

Congratulations!

this was the first time I had been on any sort of trail on 10 years. I hiked some hills out in california about 10 years ago, but thats about it. I run roads in the mornings and sometimes run in the grass next to the roads. The trail was pretty fun though and much prettier than the scenes that I usually have.

Tomas

I ran my first trail half yesterday too... but it's been raining all week out here.  This is pretty much a single track trail for a good 10 miles,  and in the best conditions (like just last weekend) it's full of rocks and roots, but at least dry.  But yesterday, it had the rocks, tree roots and was also full of deep, squishy slippery mud!

So my trail race yesterday was a little different than yours, I can't imagine a jogging stroller out on that trail Smile

Congrats again!

I ran my first trail half yesterday too... but it's been raining all week out here.  This is pretty much a single track trail for a good 10 miles,  and in the best conditions (like just last weekend) it's full of rocks and roots, but at least dry.  But yesterday, it had the rocks, tree roots and was also full of deep, squishy slippery mud!

So my trail race yesterday was a little different than yours, I can't imagine a jogging stroller out on that trail Smile

Congrats again!

most of south texas has been in drought conditions for about 2 years so there isnt too much mud around here.

The course was easier than expected. I didnt figure that being at a state park that it could be to dangerous, well besides the aligators. At least they stayed in the water Smile

Tomas

GinnyinPA

I was wondering when you'd mention the gators;-)

Congratulations!  I too can't imagine a stroller on a trail race.  Weren't people a little unhappy with her?

I was wondering when you'd mention the gators;-)

Congratulations!  I too can't imagine a stroller on a trail race.  Weren't people a little unhappy with her?

When I passed by her in the opposite direction there was plenty of room. I dont think she was in the way nor the last person out there.

The lady that I ran with most of the time was super worried about the gators. I told her dont worry that she was faster than me and I needed some new boots anyways. She laughed and looked at me and asked what I would do If there was one in the middle of the path. I said I am not stopping, but I will turn right around and go back to where we started.

Tomas