Beginners and Beyond

Wednesday Penguins are sleeping in! (Read 42 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Haven't started a penguin thread in months! Where's Gustav lol he's usually our resident earliest riser!

Had spin class this morning. Got back in my apartment a little earlier than I usually am after I go to the gym, because the class ends at 6:45 whearas when I do my own thing I'm usually there til a little after 7, so I've been taking a few extra moments to sit, enjoy coffee, and watch the news before I have to get ready for work. I kinda like it...hmm....maybe I should start getting my butt out the door a little earlier every day and not just when I have to make a class on time..... Anyway spin class went well. Last week, my first class ever, happened to be the once-a-month "race day" which almost killed me haha....today was still an amazing workout but slightly less intense. Today was "endurance day."

Today is Staff Development Day at work. I expect to be bored so post some good stuff on here to keep me entertained lol.

Have a great day!!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I'm not sleeping in!  LOL  I had to get my stuff packed so that I can hit the road :-)

Thanks for starting us off Kristin.

My running schedule for the rest of the week will be kind of willy-nilly.  I'm going to be running that 5K this weekend, and it appears the weather may cooperate.  So, I'm not going to kill myself this week.  Not sure what I'm doing tonight.

Pewpewpew and I, have been overtaken by the competition in the cutest couple contest.  We're behind by 6 likes.  We're hoping to pick up a few likes here and there over the next couple of days.  Then, we're going to launch another all out facebook campaign.  The contest ends next Thursday, and I think we want to just draft for a couple of days.  Then, we'll throw in a couple of surges, and a final strong push.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Kristin and fellow colonists!

I had to go into work early today and I was trying to do a copy and paste with the iPhone, but I don't know if it can be done.

kristin - right now I am doing the Higdon beginners 5k. I modified it in that I run every other day. I was looking at it last night trying to figure when I could work a fourth and eventually fifth day into it. I have a 5k planned for 3.17.

Enjoy today everybody !

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Philliefan33

Good morning Kristin and Atwood.

7 miles done last night, around the lake in a local park.  It was nice, even though I had to walk over some icy patches on the shaded areas of the paved trail.  5 miles planned for tonight, probably a hilly route or maybe a tempo run.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Awood I forget are you going away for work, or vacation?

Gustav, sounds like a good way to get yourself back to running again!  I followed Higdon 5K Novice when I first started running this summer. I could run about a mile before I began it, and it worked me up to the distance nicely.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Phillie snuck in, great at job on the 7. And now you're going to do a tough 5? You're a rockstar!

Oh forgot to mention I finally have my orthopedic drs appointment tomorrow morning. Hoping he will say I'm doing everything right, that I can resume a more rigorous running schedule, and that it's not more serious than ITBS.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Kristin and Pengs.  Have fun at staff development day and drink lots of coffee.  Track run after work.

Haven't started a penguin thread in months! Where's Gustav lol he's usually our resident earliest riser!

Had spin class this morning. Got back in my apartment a little earlier than I usually am after I go to the gym, because the class ends at 6:45 whearas when I do my own thing I'm usually there til a little after 7, so I've been taking a few extra moments to sit, enjoy coffee, and watch the news before I have to get ready for work. I kinda like it...hmm....maybe I should start getting my butt out the door a little earlier every day and not just when I have to make a class on time..... Anyway spin class went well. Last week, my first class ever, happened to be the once-a-month "race day" which almost killed me haha....today was still an amazing workout but slightly less intense. Today was "endurance day."

Today is Staff Development Day at work. I expect to be bored so post some good stuff on here to keep me entertained lol.

Have a great day!!!

Bin Running

Krsitin, Thanks for starting..  You started your day early... Glad you enjoyed the spin class..

Awood, sound like a good plan on the contest.. Hope you have a good kick on the last lap..

Gustav, starting a thread with iphone can be tricky..

Margo, Good luck with the 5M later..

Jerry, Morning.. Enjoy the track later..

AFM.. Ankle felt ok.. no pain while walking.. Still pain if I press on the spot.. I could do ankle raise w/o pain so I should be stiill in line to run on Friday.. Toying with the idea of Epsom salt bath later..
                    Running warehouse is having some sale.. 15% off.. Look it up their FB page..  I am eyeing 2 pairs of Asics.. Which could really happy me forget abt my sprain.. But then, I still have 4 unopened pairs in the storeroom.. I am sure you guys will understand the agony I have..Wink

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

Good morning everyone.  Busy day ahead here.  I need to hurry up and get some miles in on the treadmill.  I wanted to wish everyone a great day.

Later!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice run yesterday, did hill work at Fort Sam Houston on my LARGE hills route and kicked hill-butt!  This route is just about ALL hills with only a few flat spots along the way.  3.8 miles done, averaging 10:28 per mile.  I did hills the day after I did my weight training circuit, probably not smart, lol, my legs are a bit sore today, so today is a rest day.  Short week for me this week. Work today, then half-day tomorrow, then I have my spinal injections tomorrow afternoon and then am off on Friday, as I have to "rest" after my injections, no prolonged sitting, standing, etc., for 24 hours.

Gail is really having fun with her birthday present Y membership, lol.  She came back last night from the Y''s kickboxing class and was 'complaining' she had used muscles she never even knew she had and was a bit sore, but I could tell she was also excited and happy about all these opportunities for her.  Tonite she is going to something called "Body Flow" class.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Thanks for starting us off, kristin. Congrats on gettig out early and already getting your spin class in.  Good luck with Staff Development Day.  Personally, you already look developed enough to me.   Wink

You going on a road trip, Awood?  Safe journey!   Good luck with the contest!  And the 5K this weekend!

Wow, Gustav,  if you can run a 5k in 3.17, you're going to have all kinds of sponsors knocking at your door!  Wink  Good luck with your training!

Walking over icy patches does not sound nice at all, Margo!  Glad you stayed upright!  Congrats on your 7 and good luck with your miles tonite.

Bin, glad the ankle is feeling a bit better.  Yeah, shoes for comfort, I can relate, lol.  You're turning into a shoe-hog!  Of course, I can't really say anything...I have SEVEN pairs of running shoes in my rotation.

Have a great day, Vance!  Good luck with the TM miles.  Did you hear about the Director job yet?

Tori, good luck with your interview today!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  9 with strides tonight.

I was almost killed by a bus crossing to work.  It was very close. I HATE DRIVERS!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Tori Runs in PA

Pittsburgh RN!

Well if you hadn't had your morning cup of joe this a.m. I bet that woke you up! GEEZ! Glad it missed you!

Morning!  9 with strides tonight.

I was almost killed by a bus crossing to work.  It was very close. I HATE DRIVERS!

Do or do not, there is no try. 

My first races EVER! 

Saxonburg Distance Series 5KRaces: 

#1: 7-14-2012 Cross Country Crusade 5K: 42:50 

#2: 8-11-2012 Roebling's Run 5K: 38:54

#3: 9-8-2012 Festival of the Arts 5K: 36:37

Tori Runs in PA

Pittsburgh RN!

THANKS, SCOTTY! DOGGGG!! It's at 2 today before I go in for 3-1130!

have a great day guys.

Tori, good luck with your interview today!

Do or do not, there is no try. 

My first races EVER! 

Saxonburg Distance Series 5KRaces: 

#1: 7-14-2012 Cross Country Crusade 5K: 42:50 

#2: 8-11-2012 Roebling's Run 5K: 38:54

#3: 9-8-2012 Festival of the Arts 5K: 36:37