Beginners and Beyond

SaturDAILIES (Read 40 times)

LRB

Phil- Sounds like you had an awesome hill workout just a couple of weeks after frying your legs on your ski trip.  I'm sure you're just going to recover stronger from it!

That is a great point.

Strawberry popcorn? 

Zelanie

Strawberry popcorn? 

It's like caramel corn with a strawberry-white chocolate sort of drizzle.  I'd never think to put the two together, but it's pretty good!  We have about a zillion different flavors, SIL and family sent us a huge vat of the stuff.  I'm trying to figure out how "cinnamon bun" and "cinnamon toast" are different flavors.  Did they add extra crumbs to the cinnamon toast one?

LRB

It's like caramel corn with a strawberry-white chocolate sort of drizzle.

I have been hooked by Skinny Pop lately.  It has something ridiculous like 35 calories per cup, and 150 per serving.  Which is like an entire large bag of the stuff!

Boom Chicka Pop is similar.  You would probably have to threaten my life to get me to try any type of sweetened popcorn.  lol

outoftheblue

D2 - Nice race!

Baboon -- Sorry it didn't go as planned.  It sounds like a tough course, however.

Speaking of which.  I just looked up the course for my 10 K tomorrow, which is in SF as I'm out here visiting family for the weekend.  I discovered that it runs along part of the SF marathon course and includes one of the steeper hills that I recall from that race.  Since it's an out-and-back, I actually get to run up and down it twice.  Soooo, I'm not going in with any grand PR expectations and, unfortunately, it's probably not going to be a great indicator for my goal HM, which is pretty flat.   I wish I had picked a different race now, but it was both cheap and convenient since I was already here seeing family.   As LRB would say, as least it's a chance to have a strong training run.

Life is good.

LRB

I discovered that it runs along part of the SF marathon course and includes one of the steeper hills that I recall from that race. Since it's an out-and-back, I actually get to run up and down it twice.  Soooo, I'm not going in with any grand PR expectations and, unfortunately, it's probably not going to be a great indicator for my goal HM, which is pretty flat.

Let your pace drop naturally while going uphill and do not try to get it back while going downhill and you will be okay.

That is, if you are running at an 8:30 pace, when you get to the hill keep that same effort, which means the pace will naturally drop to 9:00, maybe 9:30 depending on the grade.  If you try to hold an 8:30 pace you will be running at a 7:30 effort (or faster) and that will burn you out.

And obviously on the downhill, avoid trying to run a 7:30 to get that minute you lost back.  Same principle; effort kills, not necessarily pace.

Docket_Rocket

D2 - Nice race!

Baboon -- Sorry it didn't go as planned.  It sounds like a tough course, however.

Speaking of which.  I just looked up the course for my 10 K tomorrow, which is in SF as I'm out here visiting family for the weekend.  I discovered that it runs along part of the SF marathon course and includes one of the steeper hills that I recall from that race.  Since it's an out-and-back, I actually get to run up and down it twice.  Soooo, I'm not going in with any grand PR expectations and, unfortunately, it's probably not going to be a great indicator for my goal HM, which is pretty flat.   I wish I had picked a different race now, but it was both cheap and convenient since I was already here seeing family.   As LRB would say, as least it's a chance to have a strong training run.

Didn't you PR in SF?  Just run it the same way you did at the race and let the pace flow from that.  Good luck!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

outoftheblue

That's good advice on the hills LRB.  I'll try to avoid looking at the garmin too much and try let perceived effort dictate my pace.

And although I did PR in SF, I honestly was hoping for a little easier 10K course to get a feel for how much I improved on my last 10K of 55:20 which was  done on a dead flat course.  Although that was quite some time ago, I felt like I ran a really good race that day and the time is line for what McMillian predicts based on recent 5K and HM times.   If I can better that time at all, on a hilly course, I will be very pleased.  

Life is good.

Zelanie

Are you doing both 10Ks from the plan or is this the only one?

outoftheblue

I'm doing a 5 mile race next weekend in lieu of the 2nd 10K that Pfitz has on schedule 2 weeks from now.   It's not ideal, but there were just no races remotely close to me on Pfitz's preferred weekend.

Life is good.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Phil, sounds like a very tough course. Good on you for just getting through. It makes you appreciate the flat courses. Smile

I got 15 miles in today at an Easy pace. Worked on the house a bit. Man I can't wait until we sell this thing so I can be done fixing stuff.

- Andrew

Zelanie

I'm doing a 5 mile race next weekend in lieu of the 2nd 10K that Pfitz has on schedule 2 weeks from now.   It's not ideal, but there were just no races remotely close to me on Pfitz's preferred weekend.

I hear you.  There really weren't any 10Ks that I could find around that time for me, either.  I'm going to have to settle for a 5K instead of the 4 mile time trial, and a 10 mile instead of the first 10K, then I don't know what workout I will substitute for the second 10K.

LRB

Worked on the house a bit. Man I can't wait until we sell this thing so I can be done fixing stuff.

lol