Beginners and Beyond

FriDAILIES: My Posse on Broadway (Read 47 times)

I'm kinda torn. I was in Chicago for 6 years, and did become a White Sox fan. We even had a season ticket plan. I grew up in Ohio during the time that the Indians had the consecutive sell-out streak and it was impossible to get tickets. So, what I'm saying is, it's easier to fall for a team when you can see their games. Now that I'm back, I kinda root for both and watch numbly when they play. That's probably unacceptable fandom, but it's the truth. Also, getting to see the Sox World Series games in '05 was phenomenal. And, let's face, no Cleveland team is ever going to win anything (or else the universe would explode).

I grew up in the Chicago north 'burbs, lifelong diehard Cub fan (much to my regret). I was therefore also raised to hate the Sox. The only thing that ever consoles me when the Cubs are awful (which they usually are) is when the Sox are worse. Moving to Detroit & adopting the Tigers gives me another reason to root against the Sox. 

Been to plenty of Indians games as well, even going back to the old Mistake on the Lake. I remember a game there back in the dark years with about 3000 fans, meaning about 77,000 empty seats. 

Cleveland got screwed the year the strike shut down baseball.  That team was a power house and one of the best I have ever seen from top to bottom.

That was an amazing powerhouse - Manny Ramirez, Albert Belle & Jim Thome all in their prime in the same lineup? Not fair.

Dave

I was a huge fan of The time and specifically Morris Day way back when.  That was my dude.

You know the drill, pics or it didn't happen.

Dave

Jess runs for bacon

You know the drill, pics or it didn't happen.

Seconded!

LRB

They didn't make pics back then, certainly not like they do now.  There were many, many missed opportunities BCPC (before cell phone cameras).

LRB

That was an amazing powerhouse - Manny Ramirez, Albert Belle & Jim Thome all in their prime in the same lineup? Not fair.

Kenny Lofton, Sandy Alomar Jr, his brother Roberto, David Bell and Omar Vizquel to name a few others.  Sick man just sick.

Hip Redux

And, let's face, no Cleveland team is ever going to win anything (or else the universe would explode).

My husband went to school in Cleveland and had family there - and he's from WV, so he grew up a Cleveland fan.   Eventually he became a Red Sox fan, which up until 2004, wasn't much of an upgrade.

One of our first dates was based on a bet on the Cleveland-Sox 1999 division series.  He owed me dinner.  Smile