Beginners and Beyond

My Run Last Night............ Freaking BadA$$ !!!!!!! (Read 89 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Great job! But I will make a suggestion on the warm up strategy if you don't mind.

My understanding is that in order to get the physiological benefit from a pre-race warm up that the warm

up should ideally  finish 10-15 minutes or less prior to the race start. That is the way I  do them

whenever possible.

Since 3 miles is essentially the same distance as a 5K it seems to me that doing it several hours prior

will just be sapping your energy stores and not providing you with the benefits you are looking for. 

Just throwing that out there in the interest of you having your best race possible.

Perhaps others can chime in on that topic?

Yeah, I definitely know what you mean, problem is I am about 30 minutes or more from the race, I am going to pick up my sister who hasn't exactly been running since November so she won't be able to do more than a 1 mile warm up with me so I am trying to work things out as easily as possible and hope that my legs won't be tight at the beginning of the race which is my biggest concern. I don't exactly want to leave my sister behind during the race, and for one reason alone - she stuck with me during October's HM when she could have left me in the dust, I was injured and in pain and we managed to finish 2:34:39, I know she could have ran it  in under 2:20:00 but she stuck with me. I guess we'll just have to see how things go, maybe she can warm up with me for the first 1.5 miles and then I finish up for just a 2 mile warm up while she stays warm in my Tahoe.... we will have to see Smile

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

runmomto3boys

What an absolutely incredible run and, in particular, those last 3 miles.  That's just fantastic!  I'm happy for you!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

What an absolutely incredible run and, in particular, those last 3 miles.  That's just fantastic!  I'm happy for you!

Thanks!!! It was awesome, I am still amazed that I was able to speed up like that.  I just hope Saturday's race is just as awesome.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)