Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos - Game Day 5K (Read 12 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me. At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another. Hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports with Photos. I am not exactly a good photographer but hey, at least all the photos are free so my ‘subjects’ can save and share their photos if they so desire. Mucho thanks to all the people I interacted with at this event for their graciousness, patience, and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

My 9th race done in 2016 was held at Rockin’ R River Rides in New Braufels, Texas. Start time of 8:30 a.m. Weather was pretty darn chilly for we South Texans, around 41 degrees with a ‘feels like” temp of around 39 – 40. Thankfully it was nice and sunny, which helped. This was a pretty small turnout for a 5K, 44 finishers, 21 male, 23 female. I think most of our local runners were doing the Chocoholic 5K in San Antonio. Yeah, I like chocolate too, but $55 entry fee is a bit steep for me for a 5K. Right before the start I took off my base layer and just ran in my long-sleeved shirt and then put the base layer back on under my shirt after I finished to keep my warm and dry. After my somewhat hilly 5K on Saturday, my legs were a tad sore for this one – which also had hills – so I just took it easy and took more photo breaks on the course. Ended up with a finish time of 34:57 – about 11:15 per mile – and got first in my age group. Of course, there were only 2 in my age group, lol. Even so, I’ll take it. Another medal to give to the kiddies at the San Antonio Children’s Hospital.

BEFORE THE START

Arrived at the race location with a little less than an hour to go to start time and immediately began to get some pre-start photos.

C'est moi!  With the river and the Gruene water tower behind me.  My bib number is 1604..which is appropriate, lol, as we have a local highway 1604 that is often under construction....just like me since I'm old now...

photo 002_zps3feuox3u.jpg

Guadalupe River near Rockin' R

photo 009_zpsfr7ez1vu.jpg

photo 010_zpsc5hdsung.jpg

photo 011_zps5guunlpo.jpg

photo 012_zpsalq090ye.jpg

These nice folks were out there with massage tables to give 'loosen up" massages before the race and relaxing massages post race.  Nice.

photo 001_zpssonjejyz.jpg

Two volunteer young ladies who were prepping the food and beer for our return after the race.

photo 003_zps1vcfqvol.jpg

photo 007_zpsas2vbsbg.jpg

And this guy was cooking up the sausages.  He did a great job.

photo 008_zpszkpm7tcq.jpg

Athlete Guild folks.  They did the course setup, timing, results, and MC functions for the race.

photo 005_zpsyoh8zvut.jpg

photo 006_zpspulxon0q.jpg

Some of the participants, supporters, etc.

photo 004_zps4hjrhsx0.jpg

photo 013_zpsptawjdfy.jpg

photo 014_zpszp16caio.jpg

Very nice lady I chatted with, who is a cancer survivor.  Introduced to me by this Athlete Guild fellow who did the computer timing for the race, printed out the results, etc.   Very nice guy; I see him at a lot of the Athlete Guild events I do.

photo 015_zpsecpmyg2v.jpg

photo 016_zpsjbz0ymya.jpg

photo 017_zpskbrgws3a.jpg

photo 018_zpsrzfhzogy.jpg

photo 019_zps7lt3hzel.jpg

photo 020_zpsuaipzops.jpg

My speedy pal, Bernadette.

photo 022_zpsb4vtzeud.jpg

Getting ready to start.

photo 021_zpsugfif271.jpg

ON THE COURSE

We started in the parking lot of Rockin’ R, made a left onto the road in front of the place, and then down the road a bit made a right, going up a hill and down a road that took us into a very nice neighborhood, through which we did a loop. We came back out onto the road we had used to come into the neighborhood and then it was back to Rockin’ R to finish. Pretty nice course with a few moderate hills along the way.     I bet the 'real winter' people in the North, Midwest, etc, think it's funny that we Texans here are all wrapped up for 39 - 41 degrees, lol.  Let's see them try to run in our 100 degree summers.  

photo 023_zpsrgfgybq3.jpg

photo 024_zpsg7kh9z9x.jpg

photo 025_zpsl2xabzmf.jpg

photo 026_zpsldhkptdj.jpg

photo 027_zps5nnty0du.jpg

photo 028_zpsuuydj1st.jpg

photo 029_zpstkdwv4hi.jpg

I played 'leapfrog' for most of the course with these 3 ladies.  I'd stop to take photos, they'd pass me, I'd run again and catch up; and repeat.... 

photo 030_zpswwoldija.jpg

photo 031_zpsdjrl7nn6.jpg

photo 032_zpsmieuszom.jpg

With about maybe 1/2 mile to go, we passed by this little do lying in somone's front yard, poor thing.  Didn't look injured or hurt.  I thought maybe she'd lost her mother and so was just waiting.  Or maybe it was a pet or something.  As I started to continue on my way, I saw a lady coming out of the house towards the doe, so hopefully she got it taken care of.

photo 033_zpshqffboco.jpg

Heading for the finish...

photo 034_zpsvudddbo4.jpg

This is the incline we went up on the way out

photo 035_zps1icylgor.jpg

AFTER THE FINISH

Got some water after I finished and then went for the goodies….sausage wraps and beer….nice.

Our beer servers

photo 041_zpsnn7dwsfv.jpg

Oh yeah....

photo 042_zpssonpbnop.jpg

Law enforcement that was out there for us keeping us safe from any potential 'idiot driver".   Thanks guys!

photo 043_zpslmxlqtgn.jpg

After I sat a bit and consumed my goodies, it was time to get photos of some of the ‘happy finishers’, supporters, volunteers, etc.

photo 037_zpsmqklwnqm.jpg

photo 038_zpsfioopndd.jpg

photo 039_zps7x9mouel.jpg

photo 040_zpseaic2yj2.jpg

photo 044_zpsdcmg09cy.jpg

photo 045_zpsebfd0teb.jpg

photo 046_zpszp4ff3ow.jpg

photo 047_zpsdnt8dsgs.jpg

photo 048_zps5g9ww9ba.jpg

photo 049_zpspkhkzfxo.jpg

photo 051_zpspzp8lcst.jpg

EPILOGUE

This is the first time I’ve ever done this particular course and – in spite of my tired legs – I liked it quite a bit. Definitely going to keep this course in mind for the occasional training run. Although my preference is large races, this is a really nicer small event, with lots of participant comradery, very nice post-race goodies, nice tech tee, and good course. I would definitely do this one again. And hope it grows in the future. Runners who slept in today missed a really nice 5K.

Mucho thanks to all the volunteers, sponsors, law enforcement, etc, who were all out there for us participants today; all those folks that made this one happen for we entrants. All of you did great for us! Thanks to Athlete Guild for putting on this event, course setup, timing, results, etc.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

music_girl117

How cute is that little doe?!   Great picture and race!

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)