Beginners and Beyond

For those in and around Boston - Planning to get together for a run on Saturday (Read 75 times)

Dr. Cornsitter

I mentioned this in one of the threads, but I think it's important to take action and get something more solid going. Oski and I are planning to get together this Saturday and piggy-back on this event:

https://www.facebook.com/#!/events/446374912126260/

It's called "The Last Mile". Folks are planning to congregate near Kenmore Square, where many of the runners were diverted when the explosions halted the race, and run the last length of the marathon route to Copley Square in honor of those killed and injured, and those were unable to finish the race.

The organizers of the event are unsure if they will receive proper permission or clearance. I'm sure no decisions will be entertained until the crime scene is closed, but I would like to see them get clearance to that the larger running community could show solidarity and support for those affected. However, if clearance is not granted, I'd still like to assemble a small group of our RA/RW peers--locals, those who could travel to come, those who may still be stranded in Boston, or those who may just happen to be visiting--and make our way slowly but deliberately from Kenmore to Copley.

We could meet somewhere around 2:00pm and the run would start at 2:30. Of course, it wouldn't be a long run. It certainly won't be useful in anyone's training plan, but its significance would rejuvenate our spirits and perhaps make us all better runners.

So please let me know if you can attend. We'd be doing this rain or shine. If you cannot attend but would like to join us on your own run at the same time in your area, I think that would be just as significant. Those planning to attend in person can PM me and I will give you my number or any other information to help make arrangements. I'll also update this thread as plans soldify as to the who/what/where/when. Also, tell your friends who may not be on our forum but would be interested in joining.

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

Ball of Fury

Sounds awesome!  I (and I'm sure most of us), will be with you in spirit!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Hip Redux

I might stick around after and partake in the local eateries/shops too, if anyone wanted to join me.

From the Internet.

Ooh perhaps I'll go.. Will have to clear it with DH, he's still working on thesis edits and he'd have to entertain the kid for the afternoon.

Dad on the run.

If only the trip from AL to MA wasn't so far Sad Just know while you are all running that I am with you in spirit.

Edit : I just did a mapquest. 1188.XX miles. Let me grab my running shoes...

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Dr. Cornsitter

If only the trip from AL to MA wasn't so far Sad Just know while you are all running that I am with you in spirit.

Edit : I just did a mapquest. 1188.XX miles. Let me grab my running shoes...

You can do it!!! It ain't that faaahhhhh!

Hip Redux

You can do it!!! It ain't that faaahhhhh!

It's wicked faahh!

Dr. Cornsitter

So I'm still planning to go ahead and run this mile. I haven't heard whether the organizers of the larger event have clearance. I plan to be outside of Eastern Standard in Kenmore Square at 2:00pm.

I am out in "western mass" and a group of my friends and I will be running in blue and yellow on Saturday morning for BOSTON!

RSX

I'm going to a prayer vigil tonight (never been to one). We had students at a local college offer to help us raise $ which my club is looking into. I hope to be there on Saturday.

Hip Redux

My plan is still to go.   I haven't heard if they've opened up the area yet, but even if it's not opened on saturday, we could loop around it pretty easily.

RSX

I just noticed that there is a Sox game Saturday afternoon so parking is out. Allow for extra T time

Hip Redux

I just noticed that there is a Sox game Saturday afternoon so parking is out. Allow for extra T time

Oooooh.  Good call.

Hip Redux

This was the latest posted from the FB group:

Alright everybody, quick note here, working on a few final things in conjunction with city, state, and federal officials... Although the date may change this event will go on. Thank you all for your patience and please bear with me while we try to make this event as safe, fun, and big as possible. I should have an early afternoon update available for you, thanks again!!

Dr. Cornsitter

Awesome!