Beginners and Beyond

Public Service Announcement (Read 232 times)

Sloooow.

Believe me, I have tried. He hasn't even gone for a yearly check-up in the 6 years I have been with him.

I've tried the childbirth angle too. Hell, when I was in the hospital for appendicitis I had about 7 doctors cycle through saying I had PID (pelvic exam) or constipation (rectal exam).

Kudos to all you guys who do man up and get these necessary things done.

Mmmmm...beer

This is why I convinced my employer that I have a bad back and needed to have one of these:

I want a standing desk bad.  I hate sitting, with a passion, it's just not comfortable imo (unless I'm reclined in a comfy lazyboy, that's different).  I will always choose to stand if I have a choice (you get some really weird looks from people when you tell them you'd rather stand).

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

LRB

Believe me, I have tried. He hasn't even gone for a yearly check-up in the 6 years I have been with him.

Oh, well there are people like that who the more you try to get them to do something, they dig in deeper against it.

Try indifference, I call it the weapon of the Gods.  Wanna get someones attention?  Don't pay them, or a particular issue that they care about any.  Now all of a sudden they magically want to talk!

Hip Redux

I want a standing desk bad.  I hate sitting, with a passion, it's just not comfortable imo (unless I'm reclined in a comfy lazyboy, that's different).  I will always choose to stand if I have a choice (you get some really weird looks from people when you tell them you'd rather stand).

Got mine on Amazon!  Ergotron makes a lot of versions for current desk set ups:  http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_electronics?_encoding=UTF8&field-brandtextbin=Ergotron&node=172282

LRB

So what you are saying is that I am an alien, because in my 28 years in the workplace, I have never heard of a standing desk!

Mmmmm...beer

So what you are saying is that I am an alien, because in my 28 years in the workplace, I have never heard of a standing desk!

I have yet to see one in the workplace, but I'd like one at home.  I work in a gov't building and seriously doubt that I could talk anyone into putting in a standing desk because I think it's better for me.  We can't even get them to adjust the HVAC properly. lol

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Love the Half

There is actually quite a bit of humor to the whole thing for those who can laugh at themselves like I can.  I mean, it is easily the most awkward five seconds of your life lol!

Heh.  At my annual checkup, my doctor told me I could either lie on my side or bend over - whichever I preferred.  My reply was, "well, if we're talking about my 'preference', my preference is not to do it but I guess that's not an option."  She said, "nope, bend over."  Big grin

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

RSX

I have had a few of those along with gasoscopies, and endoscopies. My gastro would pretty much say while you are under ....

LRB

Heh.  At my annual checkup, my doctor told me I could either lie on my side or bend over - whichever I preferred.  My reply was, "well, if we're talking about my 'preference', my preference is not to do it but I guess that's not an option."  She said, "nope, bend over."  Big grin

Funny!  I was asked to relax, and to get down off of my tippy toes.  But before I could ask how in the hell was I supposed to stand flat footed with a digit up my never land, it was over.  Whew!

I've tried the childbirth angle too. Hell, when I was in the hospital for appendicitis I had about 7 doctors cycle through saying I had PID (pelvic exam) or constipation (rectal exam).

Kudos to all you guys who do man up and get these necessary things done.

Either you are not as good at nagging as my wife, or I am less stubborn than your husband. Everyone on my wife's side has died of cancer, so she is the sunscreen and colonoscopy nazi. She & all her siblings have been getting colonoscopies since 40. Two of her sisters went in together, like a spa visit. I don't have the family history so have not had one yet, but I guarantee she will make the appointment & drive me there as my 50th birthday present. On the other end of things - her father was a dentist. I never flossed before I met her, but she ultimately nagged me into submission on that one, and now I am religious about it.

Conversely, everyone on my side has died of heart disease. (At least both of us know how we're going to go.) So I am the healthy eating & exercise guy. Unfortunately I have not had the same impact on her habits, apparently I am not as good at nagging or she is more stubborn. Just setting the example does not have any effect; more often I just get told I need to eat a cheeseburger or take a day off from exercising once in a while. (How many of you get that?) She needs to improve both diet & exercise, knows she needs to, knows how to do it. Just does not, because it is not easy. Claims it is easier for me. OK.

Dave

For those of us who sit at a desk all day - I easily get 40 hours of "sedentary" time in a week!   

I just realized a side benefit of the fact that I am drinking water all day long at work. It forces me to get up and move around every hour or so - either walking to the kitchen to get a refill, or walking to the rest room to empty out.

Dave

YAYpril - B-Plus

I just realized a side benefit of the fact that I am drinking water all day long at work. It forces me to get up and move around every hour or so - either walking to the kitchen to get a refill, or walking to the rest room to empty out.

Me too. I have a desk job but I drink TONS of water at work. I'm getting up at least once an hour to purge/refill. Smile

Sloooow.

Either you are not as good at nagging as my wife, or I am less stubborn than your husband. Everyone on my wife's side has died of cancer, so she is the sunscreen and colonoscopy nazi. She & all her siblings have been getting colonoscopies since 40. Two of her sisters went in together, like a spa visit. I don't have the family history so have not had one yet, but I guarantee she will make the appointment & drive me there as my 50th birthday present. On the other end of things - her father was a dentist. I never flossed before I met her, but she ultimately nagged me into submission on that one, and now I am religious about it.

Conversely, everyone on my side has died of heart disease. (At least both of us know how we're going to go.) So I am the healthy eating & exercise guy. Unfortunately I have not had the same impact on her habits, apparently I am not as good at nagging or she is more stubborn. Just setting the example does not have any effect; more often I just get told I need to eat a cheeseburger or take a day off from exercising once in a while. (How many of you get that?) She needs to improve both diet & exercise, knows she needs to, knows how to do it. Just does not, because it is not easy. Claims it is easier for me. OK.

I am a very accomplished nagger, and he is stubborn as a mule. I think his dad was 86 or so when he died of prostate cancer, so he sees that as a ripe old age. If I even accidentally brush against his bottom in the night, he practically flies out of bed. That's how deep rooted his ridiculousness is. I do think it's hilarious though that he's all gung-ho about getting a vasectomy done. I'm pretty sure they have to be around your wobbly bits for that too.

I'm lucky in that nothing "serious" runs in the family, other than weak lungs. Most female deaths in the family were in their 50's, from lung cancer (but they also smoked). My Mum has COPD, from smoking for 30 years and getting pleurisy from working in a glue factory when she was a kid. All I need to do is not smoke (which I don't).

LRB

If I even accidentally brush against his bottom in the night, he practically flies out of bed.

Most men do.  Me?  I come up swinging!  Big grin

While true, one may possibly live years after a diagnosis of PC.  Most of those years however, will be without the services of that other thing.  Shocked

GC100k

Funny!  I was asked to relax, and to get down off of my tippy toes.  But before I could ask how in the hell was I supposed to stand flat footed with a digit up my never land, it was over.  Whew!

Can I admit that before my first prostate screening I knew where the prostate was but didn't realize they checked from behind and from the inside?

"lower your pants"

ok

"turn around and bend over"

ok, how is this...? WHOA!