Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Kinetic Kids 5K and 10K (Read 18 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

This was my 3rd race of 2015.  Held on January 31st at Wheatley Sports Complex, a multi-purpose events facility in San Antono, with a track and football field.   And, being at a stadium-type venue, we actually had REAL bathroom facilities, not porta-potties...always a plus.   This event supports Kinetic Kids, an organization that provides provides health, recreational, and educational services for children of various disabilities.  Being certified 'disabled' myself, and also having been born with a birth defect, this is one local race that is personal to me and one my annual 'causes", so I try to do this one every year.  Weather for South Texas was a bit crappy, around 50-something degrees, with a wind making it feel a bit chillier, and some drizzling rain.   There was a 5K and a 10K with the 10K people starting about 3 minutes before the 5K participants.  I did the 5K, managing to finish in 32:57 chip time, good enough for 1st place in my Age Group, the "Old Man" division... 

BEFORE THE START

Got to the complex with about 40 minutes to go before start time.   As said, some drizzling rain, which 'spotted' my camera lens - which does not retract into the camera like it does on some cameras -  for some of the photos I took.

Our MC, Mark

A few of the volunteers there..

Participants, supporters, et al....  - the green (aquamarine?) shirt some folks are wearing is the race shirt

A smiling family...except for the young man...I'm with him, lol...I don't like being out in the cold either.

Me and a co-member of local RWB (Red White & Blue) San Antonio

Chatted with this very nice couple a few minutes before start time.  She did the 5K and he did the 1-Mile walk that was also being held at this event.  This guy is very inspiring!

10K folks are already on the course and now we 5K folks are getting ready to start.  Kind of a small crowd, but my guess is some folks that were registered might have stayed home because of the weather,  Yes, 'real winter people'  who may be reading this, 50 degrees IS cold for we South Texans, lol.

ON THE COURSE

We did nearly a full lap around the stadium track and then exited onto the paved parking grounds.  Looped around that for a bit and then onto one of the nearby paved trails of the San Antonio Greenway system.  One nice thing in the San Antonio area  for walkers, runners, cyclists, etc., this greenway system has been steadily built over the last several years - and is not finished yet - so we do have a very nice system of inter-connecting trails on which we can do our thing.  Today, the trails were a bit wet.  The drizzling rain continued down on us for a bit  and then stopped; in my case, its stopping point was when I got about to the turn-around point for the 5K.  My camera lens, again, was nice and wet, so the on-course photos came out a bit blurry, but I think you can see enough of the trail to see what we dealt with.

When you are as slow as I am, it can sometimes be lonely on the course, lol.

The kid in the chair, ahead of me at this point - was AWESOME.  He had this bike/chair that he propelled by hand. I was around him for most of the course, passing him during my run segments, him catching back up to me during my walk breaks. He was kept company by his father  - I think it was his father, but actually did not verify - and he was like the Energizer Bunny...he just kept going and going and going....good for him!  He was quite an inspiration out there on the course.  You go, little buddy!  Never give up! 

5K turn-around point just up there by that bridge ahead

A little wet out here!  The rain stopped when I was about at this point on the course, heading back for the finish

ummm, yeah....nice wet, blurry photo...or maybe my old eyes were just blurry...

Again, blurry....but you can kinda see how we finished...on the track, heading for the finish clock..

AFTER THE FINISH

A couple of the photos still blurry, those times I forgot to wipe the lens, but at least I now had a dry something to wipe the lens, so most of these can be seen better.

Happy Finishers - the inspiring young man and his companion runner

And more....

Jeez..short and shirts...these two must be from Wisconsin, or something...

photo 037_zps9we44ggf.jpg

photo 038_zpspzeftxlo.jpg

photo 039_zpsftngmy2c.jpg

photo 040_zpsmvtqsjl7.jpg

photo 041_zps7elvykxc.jpg

photo 042_zpsgdhwcupy.jpg

photo 043_zps47ta6inr.jpg

photo 044_zpssl0me1tz.jpg

photo 046_zps4btt0mxz.jpg

photo 047_zps7kqgo3t7.jpg

photo 048_zpshlnbpixc.jpg

photo 049_zpslcgyf3bf.jpg

photo 045_zpsbjabslri.jpg

EPILOG

Always a  well organized event, with lots of friendly participants, volunteers, and supporters.  Kinetic Kids staff that were there were, as in the past, their usual great and outgoing selves.   This event also usually gets a very nice turn-out, which is good for the cause.  Some nice goodies at the race too - there was coffee and hot chocolate being provided by Starbucks - along with some donuts too...yeah, I had a couple of those post-race, lol - and local eatery Whataburger had some bottled water and other goodies near the finish line.   Nice race shirts too.  Kudos to local race company AthleteGuild who did their usual great job of course set-up, timing, etc, and  a shout-out to our MC Mark, who also did a great job for we participants.   Mucho thanks for all the medical, law enforcement, volunteers, Kinetic Kids staff, sponsor, etc. who make this event possible and were out there for us today in not the best of weather.   A really nice event for a very worthy cause.

OK, I have to go rest up now....my next event is the Super Bowl 7K on Sunday, Feb 1, the very next day after having done this event on Saturday...so I better get in a couple of naps between now and then!   

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Little Blue

Well the weather looks crappy, but it's nice that they did have a decent turnout to support the cause.  And it looks like it was on a paved trail, so at least mud was minimal (I hope!).

Have fun tomorrow!

GinnyinPA

Two AG wins in a row.  Nice!  Looks like a good place to run, despite the wet weather. Much nicer than dodging cars in the rain.

Scottydawg the fashionista!  Orange socks plus orange shoelaces to accompany the Orange Beat Cancer shirt.  Good job on AG award!

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Zelanie

That is absolutely short sleeves and shorts racing weather- I can't believe how bundled up everyone is!  That's awesome that there were some kids out on the course in their wheelchairs.

Congrats on the AG win!