Beginners and Beyond

Question for Armchair Elite Racer Analysts - Does it Seem that Ryan Hall DNF or DNS a lot? (Read 70 times)

MothAudio

^^ Pehaps. I'm just making a general comment on aborting races. It sets a bad precedent and it seems Hall has had more than his share.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

Docket_Rocket

I think that like some other elites ( and unlike some others)  when a race isn't panning out to be a success, he shuts it down early and drops out.  I guess its to not waste the effort, and race again sooner.  But I think he misses out on fighting through a bad patch and turning it into at least a good training run.

^^ This.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

This is why I never walk or quit races - it sets a pattern of giving up and that's never the attitude you ever want to massage in a race. That isn't to say you don't think it, of course you do [the "little voices" telling you it's ok]. But this is where the battle is raging - do you listen to the voices and quit or do you tell them to shut up and focus instead on all those miles you trained to get to this very point.

The marathon is different because of the recovery phase. If things aren't going well for an elite runner it's legit to bag the run and re-load for another day. I DNF'd a marathon one time after spraining an ankle a couple weeks earlier and it tighening up mid-race along with a severe hamstring cramp that told me today just wasn't my day. That and watching the 3:45 pace group pass by @ mile 17 while I massaged the lump in my leg I couldn't justify limping to a 4 hour finish.

Yes.  Although there are times you need to quit for some reasons, unless you have a race sooner than recovery would allow, there is no need to quit as many times as he does.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

^^ Pehaps. I'm just making a general comment on aborting races. It sets a bad precedent and it seems Hall has had more than his share.

I've stopped following his racing because of the series of DNFs and his seemingly constant changes in coaching/training. What has he given as the reasons for his DNFs? I can remember a couple when he said he was injured or cramping and couldn't continue.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I agree that making a habit of DNS/DNF is not a good thing and probably makes it easier to do so each time in the future. I just wonder if there is some fear of not winning/letting down sponsors that plays into it.

As someone who doesn't really follow the elite scene closely, it seems like the names that get the most press aren't always the ones starting/finishing races.