Beginners and Beyond

July 4th 5k RR. Advice appreciated as well. (Read 84 times)

workinprogress11

Just for the record, here is my preferred warm up keeping in mind that my 5K race pace is around 6:00.

1 mile very easy jog@ 8:30-9:00.

1/4 mile @ 8:00 + 1/4 mile @ 7:15 + 1/4 mile @ 6:30 + 1/4 mile @ 6:00 (easy effort, marathon effort, tempo effort, 5K effort)

Rest two minutes.

1/4 mile @ 5K pace + 1/4 mile slow jog (like 10:00 pace) + 1/4 mile @ 5K pace + 1/4 mile slow jog

Rest two minutes.

4 strides.

Hopefully, it all finishes 5-10 minutes before the gun.  In cooler weather, more like 5 minutes and in warmer weather closer to 10.  If temps will be above 75, I abbreviate the workout and skip the two 1/4 mile efforts @ 5K pace.  I just finish going up through the gears and then do some strides.

A bit of slow jogging is a great warm up for a marathon but it's not so good for a 5K.  You need to prime your body to be ready to crank it from the gun.  Without a fairly extensive warmup, you'll have a good chance of spiking your lactate levels and then you'll start to slow a good bit somewhere around Mile 2.  I agree that you need to do a bit of experimenting.  I did one warm up that lasted over 4 miles and found out that was too much.

This sounds interesting to me and I will definitely try it before my next 5k.  I like the idea of "going up through the gears" before the race.  Paces will be adjusted accordingly, of course.  Thanks for sharing.

happylily

You still PRed despite having to stop twice, so that's great news and shows you are definitely getting faster. I agree with those who said that doing 5k, or faster, intervals, on a regular basis, could help with the side stitches. It sounds to me like you are trying to race at a pace for which your lungs, heart, etc... are not trained for. Your legs have no problem, but the rest of you is rebeling. So intervals should get your whole body used to the faster pace. I hope you find something that works, because you are doing great otherwise and come fall, you will be running at least a full minute faster, I'm sure. Congratulations!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010