Beginners and Beyond

Penguin Weekendailes (Read 21 times)

hog4life

Jerry, sorry to hear about the cyclist. We have had 4 riders hit here within the last month. I believe one was fatal. Dolly wood is  in Pigeon Forge, PF and Gatlinburg are about 7 miles apart.

Traci, yay for you and Johnathan.  Do you know which area you're in yet? We are staying in the big resort that's between PF and GB, called Westgate, timeshare thing, 5 nights for $277, just got to sit thru the 1.5 hour sales pitch. I'm ready to say NO.

Ginny, it a point to point race on roads. There is one trail I want to do called Chimney Tops after the race. It's only like 3.8 round trip, but quite steep. If I complete it, take a pic at the top, and post it to the race website, I'll get 50% off next year's race. There another challenge called the trifecta,  you have to visit Cades Cove, Laurel Falls, and Kingman ' s Dome, if you complete those 3 and take a pic at each place, then post it to the website, you get 20% oof next year. You can only claim one or the other though.

I just finished painting the door and window facings in one of the rooms. Done painting for the day and gonna chill with beer, football, food, and maybe a short run with Bella later.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Zel: No early start for me. We are at the Apple store spending another $1,500. Seven year old computers just don't cut it. I may numb the pain later tonight.  Forget the little local races for now. I love racing jusy as much as anyone but you have bigger fish to fry (your marathon).

PADRunner

Z - I've got a 10k in October then a Half in December.

Zelanie

You are going to be so ready for both!

obiebyke

Lots of running this weekend!

Z, your consistency amazes me. Rock it.

Robert, way to get back on the circuit.

I got to half watch the Vikings game today. I used to be so into football, but now I get bored and distracted! Then, since it's beautiful, I got myself out for a 30 minute run/walk. Every time my knee(s) started complaining, I stopped to walk for a tiny bit. I did my PT, stretched, and foam rolled afterward. I don't remember my IT bands ever hurting this much... I'll be sore tomorrow.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Zelanie

obie- Soon enough that amount of running will feel normal again. Smile  Good job getting right on the stretching and rolling!

on my way to badass

3 done. DS soccer practice, beer and football. Woot Buffalo! Zel- there is a taper in this training plan. One more track and long workout, then a light week before the race.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

GinnyinPA

Busy weekend for the Penguins.

Mitch - Chimney Tops is the only one you have to hike to.  It's supposed to be a good hike. Cades Cove and Clingman's Dome are both drivable (though a long way apart) - don't know about the waterfall.  I think we may have visited there, but I'm not sure.  if you have time, it might be worth doing the 20% shots.  We saw a bear at Cades Cove, up in a tree and Clingman's is on the AT, so you can do a longer hike there if you want to stretch your legs after your race.

Scotty - two weeks in a row with no racing?  Very surprising for SA, given that you had races in July and August when it was hotter.

The reason our mail was being sent to Maryland was the PO will only do a vacation hold on your mail for a month.  We expected to be gone for 5 months (turned out to be only three) so we had the mail forwarded to Jim's daughter.  She kept an eye on what came in and let us know about anything unusual (i.e. wedding invitation and check from the PA government.)  She has done this before when we've gone on long trips.

Docket_Rocket

Jerry, I read the cyclist that was killed is one of the stars of Chicago Fire.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page