Beginners and Beyond

Venting and bandits (Read 156 times)

Docket_Rocket

Why am I hearing my mom's voice right now?

You know who I work for.  We take these things seriously!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Tar Heel Mom

kween

Just because people do it does not make it right.  If the RD says OK, that is one thing, but I also think the people that wait until the day of the race to register knowing it will be full are taking advantage of the system.

Sometimes people wait for the last minute because they are not sure whether an impending or healing injury will allow them to run. It's not always sinister.

And I agree with Baboon.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

You know who I work for.  We take these things seriously!

I know who you work for and am surprised that you take things seriously.  The rest of your co-workers certainly do not.  Roll eyes

Love the Half

Sometimes people wait for the last minute because they are not sure whether an impending or healing injury will allow them to run. It's not always sinister.

And I agree with Baboon.

I register on race day for most 5K's.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

LRB

I register on race day for most 5K's.

I register on race day for everything except the big 2 6 2, and I only preregister for that because it is 65 bucks cheaper.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I read the results from a small race a few years ago.

One guy had his name & time posted in the results but in bold print beside his name it said BANDIT.

Not sure what the whole story was, but it sounds like the RD was giving him a little payback......

I've rarely seen the person's name, but in many of the small races around here I'll see a time and BANDIT in place of the name in the results.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Docket_Rocket

And I agree with Baboon.

Yeah, but I have seen plenty of people here that wait until the last minute for that purpose only.  I have been asked for my bib many times when I don't race due to work or other reasons.  By the same person.  I have checked the races I have seen her at and she has never appeared, so I assume she is a professional bib third person user.  If you wait for nonsinister reasons, no problem.  But if you really don't want to pay for the race, shame on you.

LTH, that is good when your races are small but most of mine have from 500 to 10000 (the Turkey Trot had 7000) and most of the time the races get full 3-4 weeks out of the race.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

I register on race day for everything except the big 2 6 2, and I only preregister for that because it is 65 bucks cheaper.

True.  Blitzes are cheap!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

I know who you work for and am surprised that you take things seriously.  The rest of your co-workers certainly do not.  Roll eyes

Not true.  I know my agency does take stuff like that seriously.  Abuse of the bankruptcy system is our job, so any abuse of a system we take seriously. Joking

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Love the Half

Yeah, but I have seen plenty of people here that wait until the last minute for that purpose only.  I have been asked for my bib many times when I don't race due to work or other reasons.  By the same person.  I have checked the races I have seen her at and she has never appeared, so I assume she is a professional bib third person user.  If you wait for nonsinister reasons, no problem.  But if you really don't want to pay for the race, shame on you.

LTH, that is good when your races are small but most of mine have from 500 to 10000 (the Turkey Trot had 7000) and most of the time the races get full 3-4 weeks out of the race.

There are tons of 200-400 person races in the Miami area.  Sure, they're not downtown but get in the burbs a little and they're all over the place.  I found plenty the one time I looked.  I've found plenty of small races in every major metropolitan area.  I had someone in Seattle recently claim that every race in his area was $30-50 and it took me about 5 minutes to find several that were $20-25.  As long as you're willing to run local races and dispense with all the bling, it's easy to find cheap, small races.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).