Beginners and Beyond

All 50 states ranked by their Beer (Read 85 times)

LRB

Indiana is nowhere near the top of that list. Bet no one can guess who #1 & #2 are!

What are the odds?!

I have always told friends I will in up in Colorado someday and both lists do nothing to dissuade me from that thought process.

Meanwhile the big mitten checks in at #16, I would have actually thought it much higher than that with the amount of lard I see around these parts.  I demand a recount.  lol

Beer taste gross.

There are so many kinds.  Maybe you just haven't tried the right style yet.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

In honor of OR #1 ranking, I drank a Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar last night at Yard House.    So Good !!!

tracilynn

We have some great breweries in Huntsville. not sure about the rest of our state ( AL).

2 local breweries just bought an empty middle school and will have 46,000 square feet of brew space and also an outdoor amphitheater.

http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/index.ssf/2014/08/two_craft_breweries_and_concer.html

~~~~~~~

Traci

Hip Redux

Did you guys see The World's End?  Pub crawl?  Aliens? 

Zelanie

In honor of OR #1 ranking, I drank a Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar last night at Yard House.    So Good !!!

A good choice.  I like Rogue a lot.

Which reminds me, my husband worked at a tavern for years and years, and for his boss' 30th year in business, they made him his own special beer:

The tavern is called "Squirrel's" and that's also the owner's nickname.  Unfortunately, my DH is the kind of guy who can never take the last of anything, and since he only got one bottle, he put it in the fridge but could never drink it.

So- this was the 30th anniversary beer, and this weekend is the 40th anniversary.  And it's still in the fridge. 

A good choice.  I like Rogue a lot.

Certainly one of the biggest names out there, no argument they are a good one. I visited their brew house in their hometown of Newport when I was out there in June. I will say however, not my favorite of the major Oregon breweries - for that I'm going with Deschutes. Which you don't get to see much out east.

Dave

Zelanie

That is so funny, because around here Deschutes is seen as the "macro" microbrew. They've been around forever and sell a ton so none of the craft beer drinkers will drink it anymore.

Love the Half

That is so funny, because around here Deschutes is seen as the "macro" microbrew. They've been around forever and sell a ton so none of the craft beer drinkers will drink it anymore.

Folks who think like that irritate the piss out of me.  Hey, I'm all for supporting your local nano brewer but just because a business is successful doesn't mean they no longer make good beer.  Sierra Nevada and Sam Adams are good examples of craft brewers who are pretty large yet they make some great brews.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Folks who think like that irritate the piss out of me.  Hey, I'm all for supporting your local nano brewer but just because a business is successful doesn't mean they no longer make good beer.  Sierra Nevada and Sam Adams are good examples of craft brewers who are pretty large yet they make some great brews.

Yeah those folks are the true "beer snobs", not people who just appreciate good beer.

That's a shame about Deschutes, because I wasn't necessarily as excited about the larger breweries, but their Obsidian Stout & Black Butte Porter are a couple of the better examples you will find of those styles. (And it's not just me - the Beer Advocate Bros give them both 100's.)

And agree on Sam Adams - I sort of want to dislike them because they have gotten so huge, but they still make damn good beers.

Dave

LRS

Chasing Muses

DH is from #5 Washington originally, but I have dragged us to #28 Virginia.  Clearly I have doomed him to a wasteland of inferior beer. 

We do have some pretty good brewers and a ton of up and comers, especially in NoVA. Tip of the hat to Maryland, though. Some of my staples are several Flying Dog and Heavy Seas varieties. Also, DFH is the only reason Delaware is still allowed to be a state.