Beginners and Beyond

Tuesday Penguins Never Get <Censored>! (Read 278 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

Well I am in week 4 of my non-running 5K 2 couch program and the results are beginning to show! I no longer instinctively get up at 4am to run, instead I am now oversleeping. Also, even though I have not stepped on a scale , I can tell I am developing a nice thick layer of " winter skin". 

Yesterday I didn't make it to the gym because I had an unscheduled meeting with the high school seniors in the youth group to talk about their commitment to leadership in the group. So today will be a gym day.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Bin Running

Gustav, Thanks for starting again.. A little winter skin is not too bad.

AFM, 5 x 800 @ 4mins today.. Total 6M with warm up and cool down.. Ready for my 1.5M test this sat...

Will be starting my modified Pfitz HM plan next week.. Christmas Eve might not be the best day to start a HM plan.. haa.. But well.. See how it goes.. in summary, 14/51 plan..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Gustav - Do you know how long you'll be away from running?  Jack Daniels recommends an extended break from running once a year anyway, but says that if you're injured you can count that as your break.  He even has a table that allows you to adjust your VDOT based on how long you've been off, whether or not you cross trained, and if you've gained or lost weight.  Consider the time off as part of your training.

Bin - There's never really a bad time to start a HM plan.  Is there?

AFM - I'll be running 6-7 tonight.  According to Nike+, I only got 5 in last night.  I think it was shorting me distance to begin with, and then I joined the fiance for the last 30 minutes at a slower pace.  So, I'd like to make up a mile.  I'm going out with customers again this week, and missing mile won't help the damage I'm about to inflict on my body.  I was telling Doc about the tough part about this time of year in my occupation.  I've resorted to taking customers out for drinks after work.  Wish me luck!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Bin Running

Awood, good luck with all the drinking.. It's part of the job I guess... There's really no bad times to start a HM plan... I shld stop whining and suck it up..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  Eventful day yesterday.  When I got home at 2pm one of my cats was missing, which is hard to believe since they are indoor cats, doh.  So the cleaning ladies must have opened the door and she must've escaped.  Anyway, I spent all afternoon looking for her but it was not until Rubio escaped (supervised) that he found her.  I knew Rubio would find her.  Other than her princessy self being all scruffy, she is OK.  And all of a sudden she wants lots of TLC (a girl that does not like that at all).

5-8 miles tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Philliefan33

Good morning everyone.

Only 3.5 days left for me to work this year...but who's counting?

6 miles on tap for tonight, hopefully right after work before I drive home.

I'm thinking of running in a 10K race on Sunday -- a low-key affair put on by a local running club.  I've never raced a 10K so I have no clue how to pace myself, but at the worst I can run it like a training run for the first5K then try to go all out for the last 5K.  No matter what it will be a PR.  It will mean skipping my Saturday LR, but since I'm off work the whole next week I will have time to wiggle my days around.  A little variety in my schedule will be good.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Penguins !!! 

Try for five after work.  Have a great day.

On the phone, so I will keep it short. 6 miles done. Rest day tomorrow or Thursday. Only 3 more days till Christmas break. Smile

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning Penguins!

I think it may not have been a terrible idea to censor the thread that was censored. I don't know what the final post that was the tipping point may have been, but I checked in on that thread intermittently, and while there is a First Amendment Right to free speech, I don't think allowing people to publicly attack each other in a forum is necessarily a good thing. I like that there's more freedom here than on RWOL and that people are treated like adults and allowed to curse and even argue a bit without being banned, ect. but I think what dizzy did was a bit much. Damaris is an awesome Penguin chick, full of class, especially in how she never responded to it, at least that I saw. Anyway.....just my two cents!!!

Gustav- Is it still your ankle from that Gangham Style dancing? Do you know when you're cleared to run again? That's cool that you work with a youth group. Enjoy the gym! After being a gym rat for like 9 years, I haven't stepped foot in a gym since I started running regularly. I take my zumba classes in a dance studio, yoga classes in a yoga studio; and have some little weights, a resistance band, and a stability ball at home to do strength/toning at home, and then obviously running is most of my "working out" now. I honestly don't miss the gym that much. And an interesting twist of fate, my gym was destroyed in Hurricane Sandy and is still not repaired, so I couldn't go even if I wanted to. Anyway....getting side tracked here....

Bin- Enjoy your workout. Your plan is way more advanced than my understanding, haha.

awood- Enjoy your run tonight. Taking clients for drinks after work sounds like a great part of the job!! Your Nike+ is on your phone and uses GPS right? I think we had this conversation before. Mine has a sensor in my shoe and a receiver plugged into my iPod and is NEVER calibrated right. Drives me nuts.

Damaris- So glad your cat is ok! That's really scary!! Have a good run tonight.

Philliefan- Have a good run tonight. Go for it with the 10K! Sounds like you are already doing enough distance in your training to be able to handle the race (considering the training plan I followed only went up to 5.5 mile LR and Hal Higdon seems to think that makes people ready for it). My plan too was to run easy for the first 5K and pick it up for the 2nd 5K when I ran my race on Sunday just to make sure I could cover the distance.....but that all got shot to hell once I ended up unintentionally going out with my fastest 2 miles to date as my first 2 miles (I didn't check in with my time til the end of the 2nd mile so I seriously had no idea since I was running on effort and I felt like I was running easy....guess I "ate my Wheaties" that morning!). Oh well, I finished, and didn't completely blow up. Good luck if you decide to do it!

AFM- Need another rest day. Still soooo sore. I will get back on that horse tomorrow though. I'm going to take hog's advice and go for a 2 mile reallllllllly slow run tomorrow morning. There's no yoga class I can make with my work schedule today, but tonight I may pop in a yoga DVD and do some slow poses to help me stretch out a little bit.

Have a good day!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Jerry- good luck on the 5

T-rod- good job on the 6

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Kristin - Yeah, Nike+ uses my phone's GPS.  Usually, it's right on.  From time to time, if the clouds are just right or something along those lines you'll see on the map that I've run across the river without a bridge or something crazy.  I know my routes well enough by now to know that when I cross a specific intersection, or pass a specific house I should hear my next distance/time notification.  If I hear it 4 blocks later, then I know that it's going to botch the entire run.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

BradyS71

Fast Penquin

Morning all!

Gustav, I love it 5K to couch!  Hope you start feeling better soon.

Bin, good luck with your test.

Awood, that is why I am so happy to be back in the lab and away  from sourcing.  Very few dinners out, helps to keep the gluttony in check Smile.

Damaris, good luck tonight.

Margo, Sounds like a decent strategy for the 10K, just think of it as a 5K with a 5K warm up Smile.  And 3.5 days left?  We are so backed up that we stay open between christmas and new years just to get caught up with the the testing...  Hmmm do you guys have any job openings...

Jerry, good luck tonight.

Tomas, wow you are running some serious milage!  Are you keeping a log on here?  I do have to admit I like checking out peoples running logs Smile.

Kristin, enjoy the RD.

AFM the streak continues, I have found I have to run at home on my off days after the kids go to bed or it just doesn't happen, so 1.4 last night and then up early this morning for 5.2.  I think my shoes are going so hopefully that christmas bonus gets here soon!

Tick: I'm sure millions of viewers out there are just wondering what it's like to wear the tights of justice. Well, it's tingly and it's uncomfortable, but it gets the job done and, oh, the job of it.

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

Morning Penguins!

Damaris - so glad you found your cat!  Nothing worse than having a missing animal.   

I have been doing 5 on the TM every day and it seems to be easier for me to just committ to slogging through the 5 than to get creative.  It's been fine and my easy pace is now 11:00 which I've been flirting with for a while.  I can also run several at 10 without it being an issue.  I've been generally adding one mile at 9:13 with a finishing interval of about 200m at 8:30 which for me really is running (esp on a TM!).  It feels good and I think if I keep plodding along, I'll get somewhere.  Eventually.  lol!

Have a great day everybody!

Liz

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!!

Gustav, thanks for starting us off, 5k to Couch is too funny, but I hope it doesn't last too long!

Bin, enjoy your intervals and good luck on your 1.5m test this weekend!

Awood, sometimes that's the sacrifice you have to make for the job :P  At least you having running now to keep it balanced. Smile

Damaris, so glad you found your cat!  Ours are indoor cats as well, and while they have their claws and they're chipped, I still wouldn't want them getting out.  Have a great run later!

PF, have a good run later.  I say run the 10k, always nice to try out a new race distance, and like you said, guaranteed PR! Smile

Jerry, hope you can get your five in later!

Tomas, good job on the 6! 

Kristin, enjoy your rest!  I've found that I do better with active recovery, so hopefully some slow miles will help.

Brady, I'm the same way, I check out everyone's logs (the 12yo in me just laughed).  There are some very impressive runners on this board. 

AFM, DW is sick, so I skipped my run this morning to make sure everyone got ready for school.  I'm working from home today, so I'll get a good run in this afternoon, supposed to be clear and in the 60s.  Smile

Hope everyone has a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!