Beginners and Beyond

Time Management... (Read 373 times)

LRB

For those of you who get up at a God awful hour, how many hours of sleep do you get? If I don't have 3 or 4 days a week of 7 consecutive hours of sleep, let me tell you: I'm darn cranky!

I could have written what bluerun wrote verbatim:

"I'm super lucky if I get six... but since I'm darn cranky without a workout, and my sleeping sucks anyway, it makes sense to just get out of bed and work out"

I generally get 4 to 6 hours of sleep a night, but in 2 to 4 hour increments, not 4 to 6 straight through.  It has been that way my entire adult life, and I have learned to live with it.

I am usually sleep around 10:00 pm, or shortly thereafter, then woke again sometime before 2:00 am.  Sometimes I am able to go back to sleep, but most times I am not.

bluerun

Super B****

I could have written what bluerun wrote verbatim:

"I'm super lucky if I get six... but since I'm darn cranky without a workout, and my sleeping sucks anyway, it makes sense to just get out of bed and work out"

I generally get 4 to 6 hours of sleep a night, but in 2 to 4 hour increments, not 4 to 6 straight through.  It has been that way my entire adult life, and I have learned to live with it.

I am usually sleep around 10:00 pm, or shortly thereafter, then woke again sometime before 2:00 am.  Sometimes I am able to go back to sleep, but most times I am not.

2:21 AM.  Every. Single. Night.

I honestly feel like a workout in the morning is more energizing than the extra "sleep" might have been.  I sleepwalk through the start of it, but I'm generally pretty alert by the time it's over.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Jen16226

The morning is my workout time.

Between working full time, a 40 minute commute, cooking, cleaning, dealing with kids with homework and sports year round and a husband that is on the road 7 months out of the year, by the end of the day when I can finally get some me time, I am just too tired and will find every excuse in the book not to do it.

I am up at 5, gulp some coffee and water and get my workout going.  I have to leave my house by 7:15 for work, so I am not always pressed for time unless I have uncooperative kids.

The only time I workout in the evening is in the summer when the girls have a softball game or practice.  Their field is right on the trail by our house so I take advantage of that.

For cooking, the crockpot is my best friend.  There have been times I had 2 crockpots going at once too.....1 with a meat, 1 with a veggie.

As for sleep, I need to be in bed by 9:30 to feel rested the next day.

Goals for 2013:

Run 10K Race- ACCOMPLISHED!!!!

Run HM

RACES:

2-9 Kittanning Rotary Club 5K 44:38 on ice UGH

3-9 New Port Richey, Fl Pasco Challenge 10K- 1:22:55

5-12 Komen Pittsburgh Race for the Cure 5K

7-6 Ford City Heritage Days 5K

8-4 Pittsburgh Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon

9-29 Richard S.Caliguri City of Pittsburgh Great Race 5K

LRB

2:21 AM.  Every. Single. Night.

I honestly feel like a workout in the morning is more energizing than the extra "sleep" might have been.  I sleepwalk through the start of it, but I'm generally pretty alert by the time it's over.

last night I woke up at 12:30, and rather than toss and turn, I got up and made barley soup from scratch!  Fact.

I laid back down at 3:30, then managed a couple of 45 minute periods of sleep before getting up for good at 6:00 to run.

flarunner

I get up early enough to get back to the house by 5:30 am. So, for tomorrow's 8 miler, I'll be up at 3:30, and out the door by 4:00. This might work for you so that you can get a run in and then have that quiet time with yourself and your wife.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

Mostly like others have said, I don't go to a lot of social events and I sometimes have to run at odd hours. Tonight I have a haircut (speaking of them) and I won't get out to run my 9 miler until 8PM. That kind of sucks. But it's just not a choice, there is no "not doing it" for me because improving is really, really important to me. I have a gym in the basement of my house and that definitely helps. But, even though I love strength training, I have had to choose do it less.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

It's about being flexible for me.

I take advantage of my weekends and always try run both days.

I'm lucky that my work is very flexible.  I can access most of work from home using my work laptop and get a couple of hours of work done early in the morning before anyone else is up, get my daughter to school and go for a run before heading into the office.  And work a couple of more hours late at night, after everyone's in bed, if needed.  I have a bike and treadmill I can use at a small gym at work, which I take advantage of on a rare lunch break if I miss my morning run.

And some days, things come up, and I miss a planned run.  Which is fine.

And sometimes, life get's messy and complicated for whatever reason, and my mpw are lower for a while... also, just fine.

Chloey

Run Like a Mother

Maybe now isn't your time to run more than you are.  I don't think I could run more miles than what you are currently running with the time and responsibilities that you have.  Instead, maybe you should focus on the quality of the runs you have time to run.  Work on form, work on speed, whatever you think you need to do to improve. Make the most out of every run.

Circumstances can change a year or two down the road and you could end up with a lot more free time to dedicate to running.  I understand where you are coming from completely, but I'm just saying maybe you need to devote as much time to your wife and Mom as possible right now.  Run as often as can so you maintain your fitness and reevaluate later.

This!  You will never regret spending that time with your  mom and wife.  You cannot get time back.  There will be other seasons of your life when you can run more.  Perhaps this just isn't the time.  Your health (read sleep) and that quality time with the ones you love are more important than your mpw.

happylily

This!  You will never regret spending that time with your  mom and wife.  You cannot get time back.  There will be other seasons of your life when you can run more.  Perhaps this just isn't the time.  Your health (read sleep) and that quality time with the ones you love are more important than your mpw. 

I agree with Chloey. Regret is a terrible burden to carry. You don't want that for yourself. It is unlikely I would have been able to be a half-decent marathon runner in my 20s and 30s, because my life was so busy, and at times, I was so broke anyway... Still, I always managed to exercise and remain fit, without any running, and all from home. I prepared the foundation for later, without knowing it. No regrets to this day. You do what you gotta do.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Better I Leave

Thanks for all the feedback and experiences folks. It has definitely given me some food for thought. I do like having a treadmill downstairs. I came home, quickly changed, knocked out 4.5 miles in 40 minutes, a quick shower, and now I'm ready to play "Chef Dave"...Bon Appetit! Big grin