Beginners and Beyond

Surfer's Path Marathon & Capitola Half Marathon RR: The Dockets Did It Again (With Pics and Long) (Read 98 times)

LRB

I keep hearing how great the salted caramel Gu is but it just doesn't sound appealing to me. I love the strawberry banana but it doesn't have caffeine.

I wish the salted caramel came without caffeine ironically.  I'm a caffeine 'ho when it comes from coffee, but did not do so well with a caffeinated gel I tried once before.  Maybe I should try it with the GU brand instead. 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I don't do well with caffeinated GUs but the amount of caffeine in this one is negligible.

Damaris

LRB

I don't do well with caffeinated GUs but the amount of caffeine in this one is negligible.

Really?  Hmm, Imma try one.  You can have your thread back now thanks! 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Try them.  I had four during the race and my stomach was fine (I usually start throwing up by the second caffeinated GU so this is huge for me).

Damaris

LRB

Try them.  I had four during the race and my stomach was fine (I usually start throwing up by the second caffeinated GU so this is huge for me).

I have never had stomach issues, it was more about how the caffeine in it made me feel, like I was on some kind of drug or something.  I did not like it at all and in fact stopped to walk it off the day I tried it.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I get that too.  Not with these ones, though.

Damaris

Zelanie

The salted caramel is just 20 mg caffeine, some other flavors are 40 mg or more.

outoftheblue

I usually take my caff'd gus for the first 1 or 2, then switch to non-c because my stomach really just isn't happy no matter what at that point in a marathon.   I need to look if peanut butter gu is caf or no caf, because that's my favorite (pending trying my first salted caramel).

I actually find the gu-chomps a little easier to deal with, stomach-wise, maybe because it's not so much at once.  But don't like carrying the extra bulk for a race.

(sorry for hijacking your RR with gu discussion)

Life is good.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

PB is non caff.  That's the other one I take.

Damaris

Nice report and pics, D.

Glad you're back to marathons and doing well post-surgery.  Hopefully the asthma doesn't become a big issue again.

Congrats to Dr. D on his PR also!

Mmmmm...beer

I'm a lil late, but good job, especially with the dust.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

LRB

(sorry for hijacking your RR with gu discussion)

Yeah so anyway, what's your favorite color?  lol

Sike.

D is right, the peanut butter has no caffeine and in my opinion is yummy as hell.  I tried the chews but like sport beans little pieces get stuck in my teeth and gums, plus for the caloric value you just cannot beat the GU 's which are a one shot and done deal.  100 calories, 20 grams of carbs bam!

To get those numbers from the chews I would have to eat an entire pack, or half a pack I think, which is hard for me to do running at marathon pace.

Just B.S.

Congrats on finishing another marathon. Congrats to Mr D on his PR.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Thanks, Beth!

Damaris