Beginners and Beyond

Weathering the Storm (Read 128 times)

Trail Monster

We've had some awful storms here the last few weeks. I've either missed or shortened almost every run due to being chased home by thunder and lightening. The damage is getting pretty bad. There were 7 people trapped in their cars in the hollow not 5 minutes from our home. Roads are flooded, washed out, or covered by landslides. Trees and wires are down all over town. And our beloved rail trail is going to take awhile to put back together.

My husband took this photo on his run this morning. This is the road along part of the trail that leads to parking for the trailhead, a playground, and a soccer field. All of them are underwater or destroyed. The pipes in the picture used to be under the road to drain runoff to the river. That should give you a good idea of just how bad it Is.

My heart hurts... Sad

Rain

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

YAYpril - B-Plus

Wow. That's terribly sad. Sad Stay safe.

Hip Redux

Oh my gosh!   Sad  Where is this?

Trail Monster

We're just outside of Pittsburgh, PA.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Love the Half

We have been fortunate in WV in that we have dodged most of the worst weather.  Yeah, it's been hot the last few days but even then, we're talking low 90's rather than high 90's and we've had a lot of rain but not too many bad storms.  Any damage that has been done has been localized.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

HobbitLegs

elevenses

So sorry. I hope the weather improves soon.

Yikes, stay safe.

Birdwell

Please feel free to mock me and call me horrible names but. . .

Seriously people, has it never rained before? It amazes me every time these storms roll through and people get stuck on washed out roads. Morons, don't drive on the road covered in water! Don't be surprised when you get stuck. Don't be surprised when the fire dept. sends you a bill for the rescue (which they absolutely should!)

And the storm drain pictures, I would bet you $100 that the city or county or whatever municipality is in charge hasn't performed any maintenance on the thing in 10 years. It was probably plugged with dirt, rocks, roots and bushes.

We've been having some issues around our town lately as well, most of those majorly affected are living in newly developed areas that have been prone to flooding for hundreds of years. But some developer decided that would be the perfect spot for your dream home, and besides the 100 year flood doesn't come around that often. Some civil engineers should have some explaining to do.

I know I'm not sounding very sympathetic, this just seems to happen pretty frequently, and people seem shocked each time it happens.

I really do feel bad for the people who's homes are damaged, and have lost property.

I hope the cities learn from this and figure out a better way to deal with it.

Trail Monster

Please feel free to mock me and call me horrible names but. . .

Seriously people, has it never rained before? It amazes me every time these storms roll through and people get stuck on washed out roads. Morons, don't drive on the road covered in water! Don't be surprised when you get stuck. Don't be surprised when the fire dept. sends you a bill for the rescue (which they absolutely should!)

And the storm drain pictures, I would bet you $100 that the city or county or whatever municipality is in charge hasn't performed any maintenance on the thing in 10 years. It was probably plugged with dirt, rocks, roots and bushes.

We've been having some issues around our town lately as well, most of those majorly affected are living in newly developed areas that have been prone to flooding for hundreds of years. But some developer decided that would be the perfect spot for your dream home, and besides the 100 year flood doesn't come around that often. Some civil engineers should have some explaining to do.

I know I'm not sounding very sympathetic, this just seems to happen pretty frequently, and people seem shocked each time it happens.

I really do feel bad for the people who's homes are damaged, and have lost property.

I hope the cities learn from this and figure out a better way to deal with it.

Actually, a retaining wall broke in the hollow which released all the water from the hillsides and flooded the road. The people who were trapped weren't stupid. And the township and the trail council absolutely maintained those pipes. I have helped the trail council remove trash and debris from that runoff ditch as well as several others. And we're not living in some new development of dream homes. Our house is about 105 years old. Most of the homes in our neighborhood are the same. This year has been awful for our township. We've been declared a 'state of emergency' or 'disaster area' at least three times in the last couple weeks (which no one ever remembers happening here before).

So maybe you should shut up until you have the whole story.

On that note, it stormed again today.... but I guess I can't complain because I must have paid too much for my brand new dream home built on a swamp that was stuffed with garbage and covered over before some engineer bribed a commissioner to zone it residential. Roll eyes

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Birdwell

o.k. fine, you're right.

Here's what going to happen with regard to the broken retaining wall and storm drain system.

(I'm making some general statements throughout this post, I don't mean them to be specific to your township. I'm using the term county because I don't know if this is within city limits, not that it matters. Also, I'm not an engineer. Most are going to stop reading after this statement, because how would I know what's really going on, and I should just shut up like I was told. Fine, stop reading. I've been around construction my whole life. I work with civil engineers frequently. I've worked on massive civil engineering projects)

The county (or counties insurance agency) will do an engineering study. They're going to look for the cause of failure. They will issue a report to the county, that will probably be filed away in the back of a drawer.

You see, out side of deliberate and malicious damage by humans (i.e., terrorism, criminal damage, etc.) nothing ever "just breaks". There's always a reason, even for "acts of God".

The report will find that the failure was caused by a combination of factors. Starting with the storms and flood that rolled through the area 3-4 weeks before the storm during which the wall failed. They'll find that the prior storms had sent an unusually high amount of debris (dirt, rocks, roots, trees, etc) into the storm drain system. They'll also note how the county did not go out and clear the debris from the earlier storms (it takes government a while to get things done). It will probably say that the debris from the early storms restricted the flow and quantity of water able to  pass through the system. That restriction backed up water into areas it should not have been, and that overwhelmed the system and caused the wall to fail. They'll also probably note in there that had the county gone out and cleared the drains, the severity of the breach would have been significantly less, if not entirely eliminated. They'll probably also find that the wall itself had some structural issues (cracks, water damage, settling, etc) that would have been found with routine inspections. They damage was probably minor, but the cumulative effect of all the problems at the same time were a little bit to much.

As far as the old homes/developments go, let me explain that a little better too.

Your town and neighborhood is probably in a perfectly acceptable location, but what about the development around you?

Going back to the example of my current town. The most recent flooding we had impacted one area of homes that were built back in the 50's. At that time, the area was fine. In the years since lot's of homes and roads have been built in the surrounding area. The area has lost open space and soil that would naturally absorb and slow the flow of water. Asphalt and concrete don't absorb water.  All those new roads just let water flow down and unfortunately, it ended up in the basements of those "older" homes.

Any fresh out of college civil engineer could explain that water always goes downhill, and it follows the path of least resistance. New roads turn into great funnels when it rains.

The civil engineers in our town found that while the storm drain system was in decent working order, it was vastly undersized when you took into account all the new roads and development. It should have been upgraded 30 years ago. I bet the engineering study in your area comes up with similar findings.

There are no"unique" problems. All civil engineering failures have the same root causes. The homeowners who suffered property damage will, no doubt, be contacting lawyers and filing claims against the county. The attorneys will hire engineers that will find problems similar to those I've described above. The county will be on the hook (rightly or wrongly) for the damages. I'd put the blame on the zoning commission and county engineers from 20 years ago.

As far as the people who were rescued, I apologize for assuming they were stupid (your word, I believe I used "moron")

Also, you can only build on swamps stuffed with garbage in California, specifically the Bay Area.

I'm sorry for the damage your area has sustained. Hopefully your trails will be up and runnable soon.

(feel free to call me names and attack me personally again if you don't like what I've written here. Feel free to point out how stupid I am)

edit:grammatical errors

Trail Monster

I get it. It must be the governments fault and I'm not supposed to complain. all I wanted was a little sympathy/empathy/whatever. Since you can't provide that please kindly leave my thread.

it is STILL raining here. More thunder and lightening and another heavy rain today. It has to quit at some point right?

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

#artbydmcbride

........, this just seems to happen pretty frequently, and people seem shocked each time it happens.

Despite how it may look to you on TV, these floods aren't all happening in the same place.    Big grin

Runners run

Trail Monster

4 days since my original post and this is what we're still dealing with:

flood 4

flood 2

flood 1

flood 3

That was just from a 'quick' trip to try to pick up my daughter's medication. Unfortunately the power was out to the pharmacy and they closed early due to today's storms so we still don't have it.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Will run for scenery.

Yowzers !

Flooding was one of the things I loved about growing up in Louisiana.  Everybody would pull out their canoes/fishing boats and just sort of cruise around the neighborhood.  Then there was swimming with the dog in the front yard, chasing the neighbors' goldfish up the ditch, watching the water creep closer and closer to the front step, reading by kerosene lamp ("hurricane lamp".)

Good times, if you're young enough...

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Birdwell

I get it. It must be the governments fault and I'm not supposed to complain. all I wanted was a little sympathy/empathy/whatever. Since you can't provide that please kindly leave my thread.

you've always had my sympathy, and you can complain all you want.

and sorry for being here, I was under the impression this was an open forum

(p.s. Ileene, I know it's not the same place every time. I'm just making general statements)

pps: you're first picture, in the second set, is great. I love seeing people driving sedans across flooded roads.

ford Taurus+flooded road= success every time Roll eyes