Beginners and Beyond

Christmas gatherings bring ironic comments (Read 907 times)

YAYpril - B-Plus

I've had people tell me that I shouldn't run outside in my neighborhood because inhaling car exhaust is bad for me. I said that if that's the worst thing that goes in my body all day, I figure I'm doing okay.

People will tear it down to make themselves feel better. I just blow it off and remind myself that I'm happy and healthy and extremely fortunate to truly love an activity that is good for me.

Will run for scenery.

Is this normal for your mom?!

Kinda yes, kinda no. We're a pretty "keep a lid on it" kind of family.  And she takes any criticism very personally (she hangs on to little things we kids & our dad said even back in the '70s). So the status quo is no criticism, no upsets. Last time she asked me to carve a roast I was getting so many commands it was driving me bonkers.  This time it was "Do you want to do it, or do you want me to do it?  Okay, then I'll do it.  I don't need help."   And that was that, for 6 or 8 hours anyways.

We did talk about it later, I think we're good.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

I have found that family gatherings and pretty much anything involving alcohol brings out snidely commentary.

Anyway, Christmas aside, we get this thread every few months.... "I'm tired of people coming down on me because I run", "people are making fun of me because I'm skinny", etc etc etc.

Yeah, "how long was your marathon" gets old... but this is all the way of the world.  Be happy you got some family time even when they are annoying.  Some day you might miss it.

Wow, I can't believe I agree with everything SRL wrote.

Better I Leave

This is why you never talk about running with non-runners.

Boy, you've got that right. I can talk about weightlifting w/ folks that don't lift with generally no problem(s), but discussing running w/ folks that don't run...They just don't..."get it". It's really weird, ya know?

SusanRachel

Can I come to your next family gathering?

Of course!  Big grin

SusanRachel

Susan, sounds like your brother needs a little friendly coaxing into walking (easier said than done, usually).

Definitely easier said than done.  I'm trying to get him motivated by getting him to talk about stuff that he would be able to do and really wants to do but can't because of his weight.  In his case, he is a musician and would love to be able to perform on stage, but wouldn't have the stamina to do a performance.  I'm trying talking ONLY about that with him and not about diet and exercise.  He knows how to get there.  He just doesn't do it.

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Definitely easier said than done.  I'm trying to get him motivated by getting him to talk about stuff that he would be able to do and really wants to do but can't because of his weight.  In his case, he is a musician and would love to be able to perform on stage, but wouldn't have the stamina to do a performance.  I'm trying talking ONLY about that with him and not about diet and exercise.  He knows how to get there.  He just doesn't do it.

The hard part for him is getting started. From the other side, it's a huge, intimidating mountain that needs to be climbed. I felt the same way about running until, back in May 2011, I just started the slow, deliberate climb.

What got me to start was that my high school friend, then 52 years old, had started running a year earlier and was doing quite well with it. Nothing gets the ambition level up like an old, friendly rivalry!

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

I made sure to run in 23F in shorty shorts and a Tech T (my normal wear) and then come in and display my mostly fallen off black toenail.

Oh yeah, and also explain how I am not on statins anymore unlike the rest of the family and that my Doc told me to keep running.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Boy, you've got that right. I can talk about weightlifting w/ folks that don't lift with generally no problem(s), but discussing running w/ folks that don't run...They just don't..."get it". It's really weird, ya know?

I have some people in my life that really do try to "get it" but they don't. I tend to only REALLY  talk about running to my real-life friends who run and the forums. Otherwise I will answer questions when asked by the important non-runners in my life, but try not make the conversation longer than it has to be. I appreciate the support of my parents, boyfriend, other family members and non-running friends but beyond, "How did your last race go?" "Great! I was very happy with my performance!" I try not to get too much into it. Like my grandmother's comment, "You're going to hurt your heart and lungs!!!" I just tried to ignore it and move on to a new topic.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

When a non-runner brings up running, I try to politely answer their question, and then I change the topic as quickly as possible.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

When a non-runner brings up running, I try to politely answer their question, and then I change the topic as quickly as possible.

Good advice, especially if the non-runner is a "jogger". Wink

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

yep, I went and ran 6 today in sleet, should have heard all the comments I got for that.

I guess it would be better to sit on my ass in front of the TV and eat hickory farms.

I ran last night after 9 p.m, snow and some ice on the ground. DH thought it was a dumb and dangerous idea since people can drive like idiots, I told him he wouldn't understand, he's not a runner Wink . 5 miles never felt so good.....

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

GinnyinPA

My father irritates me because he keeps saying, "You know you're not getting any younger.  You should take it easy."  No Dad, if I take it easy, I won't make it to a ripe old age. Or at least, I won't want to.

I am several years younger than my husband, and I think my dad has always felt that I push my husband too hard.  What he doesn't understand is that my husband wants to be out hiking etc. as much as I do.  It really frustrates him that he can't do the things we used to do, but he will never accept that he won't be able to do them in the future.  As soon as his leg heals .  . .  In the meantime, I get to run.  I may be old and slow, but as my husband always says, "I'm going to live until I die."

Trail Monster

My family is blindly psychotic about my running. My aunt has a hyperactive Weimaraner she wants to get rid of. She tried to convince me that he would be a great third dog in our one level, two bedroom, no yard home because I could run with him!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

sugnim

My family is blindly psychotic about my running. My aunt has a hyperactive Weimaraner she wants to get rid of. She tried to convince me that he would be a great third dog in our one level, two bedroom, no yard home because I could run with him!

Aw, poor weimer.  He's probably hyperactive due to a lack of exercise.  They are champion runners.