Beginners and Beyond

Race Report With Photos: Augusto 5K/10K/18K (Read 32 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

Race #48 for me for 2013.  There was an 18K, a 10K and a 5K I did the 5K, put on by Carrera races - www.carreraraces.com - held at O.P. Schnable Park, a local San Antonio park with paved running trails. The start was staggered, which was nice.  The 18K folks started at 7 a.m., the 10K folks started about 7:10, and we 5K participants left the start chute around 7:20 a.m. It was warm - about 82 degrees and 87% humidity, but the dewpoint hovered just below 70, so made it feel a bit cooler than it actually was.   I pretty much felt comfortable the whole way.  Of course, I did do two runs this past week in the afternoon when the temp/heat index was 95/98 one day and 97/102 the next day, so that might have helped me feel cooler psychologically for this morning's 5K.   Either way, I felt pretty good and ran pretty well during my running segments and finished the 5K in 33:37 chip time.  Although I still ended up dead last in my  50-59 year old age group, lol.  There are some speedy old guys in my age group here in San Antonio! Big grin  Most participants were doing either the 18K or 10K and the 5K had the fewest participants.

LONG VERSION REPORT WITH PHOTOS

Apologize for the 'fuzzy look' on some of the photos.  As I usually mention in each of my race reports, it's probably a good thing, lol, I don't get paid for taking these photos.  I sweat a lot when I do races - we fat guys have to do that or we will explode, as comedian Louis Nye once said - and sometimes forget to wipe my sweaty lens before taking a photo.  A few others, since we were in a pavilion at times, had some sun-and-shadow play.  For the most part, though, I think they came out okay in spite of my poor photo-taking skills.

Before The Start

7 a.m. start, so got there early to pick up my chip.  Was still a bit dark as I wandered around getting some pre-start photos. Blue bib folks did the 18K, red bib folks did the 10K, white bib folks the 5K.  People wearing the green tech-tee tank-top shirts  that have "Augusto" on them are wearing the race shirts participants got in their goodie bags.

Carrera Race Folks.  Virginia, on the right, usually serves as Race Director and Organizer Extraordinaire for Carrera events, and does a heck of a job.  Carerra puts on a lot of races over the year, so she is one busy lady!

Two lovely lady Carrera Races volunteers

A few of my running friends from BRAK PAK - called that because they do a weekly run in local Brackenridge Park

The lovely lady who MCs the Carrera events

On The Course

Course was paved asphalt and cement trails in the park.  Out-and-back for each distance.  As we 5K folks started after the folks doing the other two distances, we actually had it pretty nice, the trail pretty much all to ourselves for our out-and-back, with the exception of a few other runners and cyclists who were also using the trails, but not involved with the race.   We went down a fairly steep hill to get to the cement trails - which meant we had to go back UP this hill for the finish.  For 5K people not too bad.  I kept thinking about the people doing the 18K who had to climb this hill after doing 10 miles already...ouch! And after the hill there was about 1/4 mile of trail incline..not bad, but you could feel it.  The last part of the course, after we made a turn by one of the park pavilions, was mercifully downhill the rest of the way to the finish.

After The Race

Got an ice-cold bottle of water at the finish and then, before the majority of the participants in the other races got back, I went around and checked out post-race goodies.

Cake....

Finger sandwiches...

Plain croissants and chocolate croissants served by Catering by Madeleine, a really good San Antonio restaurant/bakery

Fresh fruit, assorted nuts, etc., from Trader Joe's

My Fit Foods folks were there...

Serving up this healthy rice dish to anyone who wanted it..

and I found this very important post-race goodies guy....

The Beer Guy!  Oh yeah....

Oh yes, there was also breakfast tacos, which one of these runners was enjoying

This lovely lady and I did the 5K in proximity of each other for most of the course

Another lovely lady friend of mine from the Brak Pak

More Participants, their Supporters, Volunteers, etc.

The mascot of Perico's Mexican Restaurant, one of the race sponsors

Santa Claus is steadily getting in shape for the upcoming season...Wink

Obviously 3 angels, with heaven's light shining on them. Big grin

Epilog

Carrera did their usual fantastic job of putting on these events and iaapweb.com did their usual splendid job of course set-up, timing results, etc.  Plenty of post-race goodies, another characteristic of races put on by Carrera.   Lots of friendly participants, vendors, volunteers, and supporters for the runners.   As many events as I do, I recognized quite a few people doing this one, and lots of folks recognized me too from all the reports I do.  A very enjoyable post-race atmosphere, yet another characteristic of a Carrera event.  Schedule permitting, I try to do as many Carrera events as I can, and definitely recommend them to my fellow runners.

Next up for me:  The San Antonio Roadrunners Whine Run 5-miler on Labor Day, followed by a really fun post-race party at a local winery.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Another week in SAN ANTONIO.......another race.  Why such long gaps between races? Wink Smile Big grin

Another as one RR.  I was also gonna mention, I think that I am starting to recognize familiar faces in your RR's!

Your post race goodies are better than anything I've been served yet! Cool

Randy

SheCan

Great RR and pics as always, Scotty!  I just can't believe how many after race treats they have at your races.  Glad you had a relatively cool race day.   Good luck on your next race with the winery party.  Sounds super duper fun!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

GinnyinPA

Nice race report.  I think the post race goodies would be appreciated more by the longer run racers, but they looked awfully good - except for the light beer - yech.

hog4life

Congrats on #48!

Amazonian Princess

Awesome! Nice report, great photos, and Santa, too! Wink

I can. I will. I am. 

delicate flower

Had to Google Benedict Cumberbatch and then thought, "Oh yeah...that guy."  Big grin

<3

Bin Running

Nice report... Santa getting in shape for the season is too funny...

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Great pics, Scotty.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

48 races?  Man am I a slacker!  I'm glad this event staggered the races properly.  I can't tell you how many races around here start the shorter distance races first and then leave those going further in the heat.  You don't see a lot of 18k races...I'd have gone for that just for the auto PR ha.  Glad you were feeling strong and had some nice weather to run in.

Was that Santa Claus in the pictures?

That's some serious post-race food they gave you guys!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn