Beginners and Beyond

Random Question...anyone live in Honolulu? (Read 62 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

And if so, know of any good races around 4th of July weekend? 5Ks or 10Ks? I'm looking into maybe visiting my brother, who is a grad student at Hawaii Pacific U for my 4th of July break from work and I think it would be awesome to fit a race in there!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Luke79

I did as a kid.  My parents ran a lot of 5k's back in the day.  Run264fun and ScottyDog can help you answer this question, although I don't know the last time they were there.  We're the Hickam folks that I know of on this board.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Damaris used to live there...I lived there for 4 years, long ago (1984-1988) when I was in the Air Force.

The LRS there is the Running Room.  Here is their website:   http://www.runningroomhawaii.com/

They do have a race calendar on their site.  You can also call them, if you don't mind paying the long distance fees.

The one I used to do each 4th of July I was there was the Kaneohe Marine Corps Base Runway Run 5K.  You get to run on the runway at the base.  When I did it long ago, it used to be open to the public too;, don't know about now.  The base is on the Windward side of the island, so expect windy conditions.

I see from the calendar for 2013 there is an 8K on Sunday (July 7) at Kailua Beach Park.  Great beach!  Nice, flat sandy beach, and the park is really nice too, beautiful ocean views.  Nice little neighborhood around there too.  Gail and I loved that beach, drove up many a weekend from our apt in downtown Honolulu to spend the day at that beach.  I think you would like it.

Out of all the travels I did while in the Air Force (16 of my 24 years were done overseas) Hawaii is my absolute favorite place in the world.   Also sentimental value for me as that is where I met and married Gail.   Military cost-of-living-allowance helped me afford it back then.  Now it has gotten way expensive.  If I ever get my winning lottery ticket, I will be heading back to Hawaii to stay FOREVER. Big grin

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Luke79

Damaris used to live there...I lived there for 4 years, long ago (1984-1988) when I was in the Air Force.

The LRS there is the Running Room.  Here is their website:   http://www.runningroomhawaii.com/

They do have a race calendar on their site.  You can also call them, if you don't mind paying the long distance fees.

The one I used to do each 4th of July I was there was the Kaneohe Marine Corps Base Runway Run 5K.  You get to run on the runway at the base.  When I did it long ago, it used to be open to the public too;, don't know about now.  The base is on the Windward side of the island, so expect windy conditions.

I see from the calendar for 2013 there is an 8K on Sunday (July 7) at Kailua Beach Park.  Great beach!  Nice, flat sandy beach, and the park is really nice too, beautiful ocean views.  Nice little neighborhood around there too.  Gail and I loved that beach, drove up many a weekend from our apt in downtown Honolulu to spend the day at that beach.  I think you would like it.

Out of all the travels I did while in the Air Force (16 of my 24 years were done overseas) Hawaii is my absolute favorite place in the world.   Also sentimental value for me as that is where I met and married Gail.   Military cost-of-living-allowance helped me afford it back then.  Now it has gotten way expensive.  If I ever get my winning lottery ticket, I will be heading back to Hawaii to stay FOREVER. Big grin

I've talked to Run26 about this, but you may have known my parents lol.  They were stationed there in 1984.  I'll PM you their names.

Docket_Rocket

Yeah, I lived there.  I started running while there but I never did any races.  Sorry I'm of no help.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Thanks guys!! Scotty I will look into those. I didn't know you used to live in Hawaii and that's where you and Gail met! Awesome! I'm so jealous my brother lives there.....he picked such a great place to spend a few years in school!! I went to school infree frozen tundra of upstate NY

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Chasing the bus

Nice place. I was in Kaneohe over new years, forgot to bring my shoes so I bought a pair of Brooks Pure Drift (which I love!). Seem like good people. also try http://www.mprrc.com/

I did NOT participate in either race I could have made, while there, for various reasons, but wish I had tried harder.

John

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
                Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test