Beginners and Beyond

Report and Photos: Brew-Ha 5K and Half Marathon - The Race That Wasn't (Read 25 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

This event was supposed to be held on October 24, 2015 at the Tejas Rodeo, a local area event center in Bulverde, Texas.  There was to be a kids run, a 5K, and a half marathon.  Event supported the Child Bereavement Center.  However, due to storm Patricia, we started getting a lot of rain on Friday night.  By Saturday morning, it was pouring off-and-on but the race was still scheduled to be on.  By the time I arrived at the race site, our RD Mitch had 'called' the race for the safety of the participants due to the continuing heavy rain and rising waters on the roads.   Well, I was there now, so I got a few photos of the folks that had gotten to the site before the race was cancelled/postponed.

As I was getting ready to leave the house, my cat Sinatra was like "Are you crazy going out in this?  You ought to just stay home and get comfortable like me..."

photo 001_zpsgqx6axjk.jpg

photo 002_zpsxjotcieh.jpg

Participants did get a nice tech-tee.  Of course, I'm superstitious, lol, about wearing a race shirt without having first done the course; so after the weather gets better, I'll probably download the course map and then just go out and run the course.

photo 003_zpslaniyqsn.jpg

Had my gear on and was ready to go.  I'm not a fan of running in rainy weather, but as long as there is no lightning, I'm okay with it

photo 018_zpspypulork.jpg

Mitch, all-around great guy,  RD and owner of iRun Texas, a great local running store, that put on the event...and looking very wet after continuously going in and out of all that downpour to check the course, equipment, etc.

photo 005_zpsplai4e4e.jpg

For this photo, I had my rain jacket back on..although it was humid as all get-out, it was a bit chilly in that rainy weather!

photo 006_zpsk7egyvz8.jpg

A very nice sculpture there...

photo 008_zpsqvltws1z.jpg

Some of the participants and volunteers there before the event was called on account of  WET WET WET and possible road flooding.  Sorry, a couple of these photos are a bit blurry, I think I got some water spots on my lens.

photo 004_zpsptc6gttd.jpg

photo 009_zps8lflmcca.jpg

photo 010_zpsasz1k2zn.jpg

photo 011_zpsyhxkmjgk.jpg

photo 012_zpsqmzpfroq.jpg

photo 014_zpsicwck43d.jpg

photo 017_zpsrs0rzrbx.jpg

The area outside the pavilion we were in....you can see some of the rain coming down

photo 015_zpsyipnhure.jpg

photo 016_zpsiitwk6c7.jpg

Well, hopefully this one will be rescheduled sometime at a future date - maybe iRun can have it as Halloween in January or something like that, lol;  meanwhile, I have another iRun event on Sunday, Oct 25, the St. Mary's University neighborhood run, so hopefully the weather will clear a bit for that.  As for today, I'll just wait a bit and then if the weather lets up some, just go out later and do a neighborhood run.

Happy and safe running to everyone!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Sorry it was not meant to be but I hope you get to run it at some point.  Nice report!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

Sorry this one got cancelled.  I hope you manage to run tomorrow.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Sorry it was cancelled. Given the weather, sounds like a good call.

Little Blue

Only Scotty can write a full RR, with pictures, of a race that didn't happen.

LRB

I have a race shirt from the 2013 marathon I DNS'd, I wear it all the time. I know there was a lot of smack about doing that back on the BF but I couldn't care less, I paid $65 for that shirt, I'm wearing it!

LRB

Only Scotty can write a full RR, with pictures, of a race that didn't happen.

lol