Beginners and Beyond

Ninja Penguin Thursday! (Read 20 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

I figured I was sneaking in to start the thread, like this guy:

Chorus rehearsal for me tonight!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

Cute, HsM!  Thanks for getting us started.  I will run some easy miles after work.  I'm back in a slump this week after racing that 5K last weekend.  In hindsight, it was a silly idea.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Rest day for me after four days straight of running.  :-)

I'm really starting to like this 5 days a week of running schedule I've been sticking to lately.  Normally it is M/T/W run, Th off, Fr/Sa run, Sun CT. This past Sunday I ran that race with my friend and really still wanted to stick to the days this week.  Hence four days straight of running, which left me tired yesterday.  I have no intention of running this Sunday because my normal running route will be overtaken by thousands of marathoners.  Speaking of which, they are saying there is a small chance of snow on Saturday night.  Poor marathoners!

HsM - enjoy chorus tonight

Zel - maybe just take it easy for a bit?  Get back to some easy miles or cross train.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

PADRunner

Morning penguins. 5 yesterday and 4 today on the TM. I am hating the treadmill, especially the ones here. It has a TV screen right in front of you with limited channels. I can't read any text on the screen because of my head bouncing when I running. Only 2 more runs this week here and I might get outside for one of them.

One good thing though, I end up speeding it up just to get through it. 

Brilliant

Good Morning Penguins!

PAD, hope you get some outdoor runs in soon - I hate the treadmill, too.

HopesMom, thanks for starting us out, and have a fun rehearsal tonight.

sapf - great progress!  I always *plan* to run 5 or 6 days a week - usually end up with 4 or 5.  Imagine if I only planned 4 - I'd end up with 3. Smile

Zel, sorry about the setback, hope you are rested & recovered soon.

Rest day for me.  Headed to jury duty shortly.  I've made it through two days of deliberations with only a couple of outbursts of inappropriate laughter.  My goal today is to remain expressionless.

Docket_Rocket

Hi!  Been in Court all morning.  Sigh.

Pilates, run and weights tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice run yesterday after work around the university campus.  Then up this morning at 5 a.m. and off to Fort Sam Houston.  Just beautiful weather, 61 degrees, dewpoint in the upper 40s, humidity about nada.  Had planned on an easy 3 but felt really good so good just took it about another mile, ended up with 3.7 miles.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Brilliant

Hi!  Been in Court all morning.  Sigh.

Me, too. Big grin

tracilynn

LOL Brilliant!  I'm bad about inappropriate laughter too.

Zel, what's going in? Why was it a dumb idea? Just tired or what?

The treadmill sucks. I swear I enter a time warp as soon as I get on one and time stands still !  It's like .10 of a mile feels like 10 mins and you look down WTF Are you kidding, I'm only at 1.12 miles?!?! What! I should be done now.

I did strength exercises this morning. Hips and Glutes from "anatomy for runners". Got my new green superfeet insoles today.  No running but took my twins to tthe botanical gardens and walked for hours. It's a gorgeous day here!

~~~~~~~

Traci

Singer who runs a smidge

I have the same issue with the TM.  I get on and walk for 4.5 years, and somehow it says I've been there for six minutes. 

GinnyinPA

HopesMom - enjoy rehearsal.

Z - why did the 5k make you slump?  Bad result or just too much effort for the present?

sapf - I heard about the snow coming.  I remember the storm three years ago.  The folks running Gettysburg HM couldn't see the mile markers because they were buried.

PAD - being in a strange city, sometimes the TM is the safest bet.  I actually like my TM, because it's the only time I get to listen to music when I run. Time passes much faster with music or a scenic video.

Brilliant - I hope your jury service went well.  I've never done it.  A couple of times I went to court and waited for hours, but never got put on an actual jury. Twice I got my jury notice 6 months after I left the state for good.

Damaris - I hope your evening at the gym went well.

Traci - I hope the Superfeet work for you.  I've tried them hiking, but the green ones were too rigid.  I liked the pink ones better. Good luck.

Scotty - I'm glad you've finally got some nice running weather.

AFM:  our modem died yesterday, so we had to run all over the place to find another that would work with our DSL. Four stores yesterday and no one had one in stock, so we did a 50 mile RT drive to Best Buy today to get one. Then Jim spent about two hours talking to India before he finally got it working. I did 4 TM miles yesterday and 6 1/2 outside today while Jim was cursing the computer.

Docket_Rocket

I ended up canceling my Pilates class and taking a rest day.  Four days in Court back to back took their toll.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Brilliant

I have the same issue with the TM.  I get on and walk for 4.5 years, and somehow it says I've been there for six minutes. 

haha...I can't do more than a mile or two on the treadmill for that reason.

Jury duty was fine; you may all refer to me now as Madam Foreperson. Big grin  We reached a verdict which at first I thought would be impossible, but in the end I think the two hold-outs just wanted to be heard.

PADRunner

Had a great dinner with Jack tonight really enjoyed.it.