Beginners and Beyond

First long run (not in my neighbourhood) (Read 117 times)

Sooo...I am doing the run-wizard programme at the moment and I have a long run of 11km (or 1h21mins) scheduled for tomorrow.

However in the morning I have to drop my daughter off at football (early) and then I am playing 9 holes of golf (tee-off is 8.30am).  In the afternoon, I have my weekly golf lesson (which is an hour and half long) so I imagine I will not feel like running by the time all of that is done!

Luckily, the distance from the golf course to our house is just a little over 11km.  I have run this distance before (although it is the upper limit of my ability at the moment) so I am not too worried about that but I am a little concerned that I will wreck myself by the end of the day so I want to keep properly 'fueled'.  That said, I usually run 10-11km with out consuming anything or taking a water bottle and I find this is fine if I get home eat/drink and have a little rest Wink.  I won't be able to do that tomorrow so I was thinking of eating a banana or something just before I set off on my run and then stopping at a vending machine/conbini for water (if I need it) as a plan.  I think I will feel a little more 'stressed' just because I will be running somewhere unfamiliar and I want to avert any post-run 'hangovers' -  will a snack and some water (if I need it it) be ok?  How do people prepare for a long(ish) run?  Any food to avoid? Tips? Tricks? Hints?

Thanks!

Being a slow runner means I get to check out YOUR butt...

This is how I do it... http://nikeplus.nike.com/plus/profile/SarahinShibs/

In that length of time, your body has plenty of stored energy.  There is no need to do anything special for "fueling."  Just go run.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Mostly Harmless

Personally, I can't eat anything right before I run but I know that other folks do that without issue.  If I'm running long (2 hours or more) then I like to have a plain bagel about 30 minutes before I start.  Some people put a little candy in their pockets for long runs or use energy gels.  I use gels on some of my long runs, but not always.

For the distance you are running I don't use anything and just wait until I finish.  Just make sure you are hydrated before you start and you should be fine.

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
        Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

In that length of time, your body has plenty of stored energy.  There is no need to do anything special for "fueling."  Just go run.

Thanks, I kind of thought this was the case, I guess I'm a bit nervous about this particular run tomorrow so over thinking things.  I will try and take it easy eat a good breakfast and carry some money just in case!

Personally, I can't eat anything right before I run but I know that other folks do that without issue.  If I'm running long (2 hours or more) then I like to have a plain bagel about 30 minutes before I start.  Some people put a little candy in their pockets for long runs or use energy gels.  I use gels on some of my long runs, but not always.

For the distance you are running I don't use anything and just wait until I finish.  Just make sure you are hydrated before you start and you should be fine.

Good point about being careful eating just before I run, I have never done that before so tomorrow is probably not a good time to try it out!  Will make sure I drink enough water beforehand too.  Smile

sugnim

You will do great.  With home as the finish line, you can have your favorite snack, or a nice shower, or a cozy blanket (or all of these) waiting for you at the completion of your goal.  Couple bucks in your pocket is a good idea--even if you don't need them, it's nice to know you have the option.  I always carry $10, a pass for a free cab ride, an ID, & my phone.  I've never needed any of these, but I like knowing they are there, especially when I try new distances/routes.  Good luck with your run, and have a great time.

Mostly Harmless

You will do great.  With home as the finish line, you can have your favorite snack, or a nice shower, or a cozy blanket (or all of these) waiting for you at the completion of your goal.  Couple bucks in your pocket is a good idea--even if you don't need them, it's nice to know you have the option.  I always carry $10, a pass for a free cab ride, an ID, & my phone.  I've never needed any of these, but I like knowing they are there, especially when I try new distances/routes.  Good luck with your run, and have a great time.

On trail runs I carry my phone, a few bucks and ID so they can identify the body. Smile

meaghansketch

I've done commute runs (work -> home) before and I find it helpful to have a bit of a backup plan in case things don't go as planned.  I always carry my phone (I never do on my normal runs) and my transit card (don't know if this would apply to you).  If it's not a familiar route and it's possible to get lost, I find a map's not a bad idea, although if you have a smartphone you can just use the maps on that.

Agree that for 11 km you shouldn't need to do anything in particular as far as fueling-- water's a good idea if it's warm, but for food, as long as you're not hungry when you start, you will be fine.

ETA: like sugnim says, a bit of cash ($10-20) and a debit/credit card is not a bad idea also.  I've never needed to take a cab home from a run gone bad, but I figure if I fall and twist an ankle or something, I would want to be able to.

Up next: Front Runners New York LGBT Pride 5-mile  06/28 |  NYRR Team Championships: Women (5M) 08/02

Goal race: NYCRUNS Haunted Island 10K 10/25

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I'm just here to applaud you for golfing, and to say that I'm insanely jealous given that I'm looking out the window at snow.  I too think you'll be good on the run.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

I'm just here to applaud you for golfing, and to say that I'm insanely jealous given that I'm looking out the window at snow.  I too think you'll be good on the run.

Big grin I'm a very recent golf convert, the game is almost as addictive as running!  Beautiful sunny (but cold morning) managed my first par on the 9th and a couple of bogeys - not bad for my second time out on a course.  Hope you get to hit soon Wink.

Thanks everyone for the tips and support!  I decided to have a banana on the golf course about an hour before my run and made sure I was not feeling dehydrated before I set out.  I took some cash and my phone (which my me feel better - exit plan!).  The run turned out to be good, the first 1-2km being the hardest really as my brain kept saying "what the frigg are you doing!  This is stupid!".  So, I turned up my music and just kept going, telling myself that I should at least do 5km before I give up.  This worked.  By the 5km point I was warmed up and feeling fairly relaxed and knew I would be able to get to the end.  I made it home in 1hr21min and managed to cover a distance of 13.4km (my longest run yet!).  I didn't need to stop for water/food but chugged back half a litre of water  and scoffed a banana as soon as I got in the door!

The daughter also scored two goals at her football match this morning so all up a great morning.  Now it's time for a bit of a rest before heading out to practice the golf swing...

Bad Ass

I missed this thread yesterday, but I'm glad it went well.  Nice job!

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Next:  San Francisco Marathon

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Big grin I'm a very recent golf convert, the game is almost as addictive as running!  Beautiful sunny (but cold morning) managed my first par on the 9th and a couple of bogeys - not bad for my second time out on a course.  Hope you get to hit soon Wink.

Awesome news on all fronts!  As for the addictive qualities, I think you're right that golf and running are very similar.  I've done many a day where I've gone straight from walking 18 holes to doing a run, but sometimes that's just what you have to do to get it all in.  Have fun making progress with both sports.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Mostly Harmless

Congrats! Any time you get a PB on distance or time feels great!