Beginners and Beyond

First long run (not in my neighbourhood) (Read 117 times)

Sooo...I am doing the run-wizard programme at the moment and I have a long run of 11km (or 1h21mins) scheduled for tomorrow.

However in the morning I have to drop my daughter off at football (early) and then I am playing 9 holes of golf (tee-off is 8.30am).  In the afternoon, I have my weekly golf lesson (which is an hour and half long) so I imagine I will not feel like running by the time all of that is done!

Luckily, the distance from the golf course to our house is just a little over 11km.  I have run this distance before (although it is the upper limit of my ability at the moment) so I am not too worried about that but I am a little concerned that I will wreck myself by the end of the day so I want to keep properly 'fueled'.  That said, I usually run 10-11km with out consuming anything or taking a water bottle and I find this is fine if I get home eat/drink and have a little rest Wink.  I won't be able to do that tomorrow so I was thinking of eating a banana or something just before I set off on my run and then stopping at a vending machine/conbini for water (if I need it) as a plan.  I think I will feel a little more 'stressed' just because I will be running somewhere unfamiliar and I want to avert any post-run 'hangovers' -  will a snack and some water (if I need it it) be ok?  How do people prepare for a long(ish) run?  Any food to avoid? Tips? Tricks? Hints?

Thanks!

Being a slow runner means I get to check out YOUR butt...

This is how I do it... http://nikeplus.nike.com/plus/profile/SarahinShibs/

Love the Half

In that length of time, your body has plenty of stored energy.  There is no need to do anything special for "fueling."  Just go run.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Mostly harmless

Personally, I can't eat anything right before I run but I know that other folks do that without issue.  If I'm running long (2 hours or more) then I like to have a plain bagel about 30 minutes before I start.  Some people put a little candy in their pockets for long runs or use energy gels.  I use gels on some of my long runs, but not always.

For the distance you are running I don't use anything and just wait until I finish.  Just make sure you are hydrated before you start and you should be fine.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

In that length of time, your body has plenty of stored energy.  There is no need to do anything special for "fueling."  Just go run.

Thanks, I kind of thought this was the case, I guess I'm a bit nervous about this particular run tomorrow so over thinking things.  I will try and take it easy eat a good breakfast and carry some money just in case!

Personally, I can't eat anything right before I run but I know that other folks do that without issue.  If I'm running long (2 hours or more) then I like to have a plain bagel about 30 minutes before I start.  Some people put a little candy in their pockets for long runs or use energy gels.  I use gels on some of my long runs, but not always.

For the distance you are running I don't use anything and just wait until I finish.  Just make sure you are hydrated before you start and you should be fine.

Good point about being careful eating just before I run, I have never done that before so tomorrow is probably not a good time to try it out!  Will make sure I drink enough water beforehand too.  Smile

sugnim

You will do great.  With home as the finish line, you can have your favorite snack, or a nice shower, or a cozy blanket (or all of these) waiting for you at the completion of your goal.  Couple bucks in your pocket is a good idea--even if you don't need them, it's nice to know you have the option.  I always carry $10, a pass for a free cab ride, an ID, & my phone.  I've never needed any of these, but I like knowing they are there, especially when I try new distances/routes.  Good luck with your run, and have a great time.

Mostly harmless

You will do great.  With home as the finish line, you can have your favorite snack, or a nice shower, or a cozy blanket (or all of these) waiting for you at the completion of your goal.  Couple bucks in your pocket is a good idea--even if you don't need them, it's nice to know you have the option.  I always carry $10, a pass for a free cab ride, an ID, & my phone.  I've never needed any of these, but I like knowing they are there, especially when I try new distances/routes.  Good luck with your run, and have a great time.

On trail runs I carry my phone, a few bucks and ID so they can identify the body. Smile

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

meaghansketch

I've done commute runs (work -> home) before and I find it helpful to have a bit of a backup plan in case things don't go as planned.  I always carry my phone (I never do on my normal runs) and my transit card (don't know if this would apply to you).  If it's not a familiar route and it's possible to get lost, I find a map's not a bad idea, although if you have a smartphone you can just use the maps on that.

Agree that for 11 km you shouldn't need to do anything in particular as far as fueling-- water's a good idea if it's warm, but for food, as long as you're not hungry when you start, you will be fine.

ETA: like sugnim says, a bit of cash ($10-20) and a debit/credit card is not a bad idea also.  I've never needed to take a cab home from a run gone bad, but I figure if I fall and twist an ankle or something, I would want to be able to.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I'm just here to applaud you for golfing, and to say that I'm insanely jealous given that I'm looking out the window at snow.  I too think you'll be good on the run.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

I'm just here to applaud you for golfing, and to say that I'm insanely jealous given that I'm looking out the window at snow.  I too think you'll be good on the run.

Big grin I'm a very recent golf convert, the game is almost as addictive as running!  Beautiful sunny (but cold morning) managed my first par on the 9th and a couple of bogeys - not bad for my second time out on a course.  Hope you get to hit soon Wink.

Thanks everyone for the tips and support!  I decided to have a banana on the golf course about an hour before my run and made sure I was not feeling dehydrated before I set out.  I took some cash and my phone (which my me feel better - exit plan!).  The run turned out to be good, the first 1-2km being the hardest really as my brain kept saying "what the frigg are you doing!  This is stupid!".  So, I turned up my music and just kept going, telling myself that I should at least do 5km before I give up.  This worked.  By the 5km point I was warmed up and feeling fairly relaxed and knew I would be able to get to the end.  I made it home in 1hr21min and managed to cover a distance of 13.4km (my longest run yet!).  I didn't need to stop for water/food but chugged back half a litre of water  and scoffed a banana as soon as I got in the door!

The daughter also scored two goals at her football match this morning so all up a great morning.  Now it's time for a bit of a rest before heading out to practice the golf swing...

Docket_Rocket

I missed this thread yesterday, but I'm glad it went well.  Nice job!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Big grin I'm a very recent golf convert, the game is almost as addictive as running!  Beautiful sunny (but cold morning) managed my first par on the 9th and a couple of bogeys - not bad for my second time out on a course.  Hope you get to hit soon Wink.

Awesome news on all fronts!  As for the addictive qualities, I think you're right that golf and running are very similar.  I've done many a day where I've gone straight from walking 18 holes to doing a run, but sometimes that's just what you have to do to get it all in.  Have fun making progress with both sports.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Mostly harmless

Congrats! Any time you get a PB on distance or time feels great!