Beginners and Beyond

Showering in the a.m. before a race??? (Read 162 times)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

This might be just a quirk of mine but during the week when I'm showing for work, I always perk up and almost get the antsy "wish I could go for a run right now" feeling as I'm leaving for work.

Now, I don't usually shower before weekend runs as I'll shower after being that its still morning and I smell like a ball of sweat.  But I'm tempted to before my 10k tomorrow.

Any thoughts/opinions?

Randy

Will run for scenery.

I need a shower in order to wake up enough to get to the coffee.The coffee is so I can get to the race.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Love the Half

I never shower before a race.  I hope my stench keeps folks from passing me.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I do. Seems counterproductive but it wakes me up and helps get me in the race mindset.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

happylily

I always shower at night, never in the morning. I wake up clean. If I run in the morning, I shower after my run, or race, then again before bed.

Are there people who go to bed without washing, after a day at work? Because... ewwww....

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Hipfan

Proud Calgarian

What's wrong with multiple showers in a day? It's like running triples, why not? Smile

2015 Goals and PRs:

5k - 17:59 (18:05);  10k - 35:59 (36:42);   HM - 1:19:19 (1:19:59);   FM - 2:49:59 (3:05:46)

MrNamtor

i try not to shower for several days before a race if possible. You want to go in there smelling like you mean it.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Are there people who go to work in the morning after laying in a bed of skin flakes all night??  Because..... ewwww.....

I always shower at night, never in the morning. I wake up clean. If I run in the morning, I shower after my run, or race, then again before bed.

Are there people who go to bed without washing, after a day at work? Because... ewwww....

Smile Big grin Wink

Randy

RSX

i try not to shower for several days before a race if possible. You want to go in there smelling like you mean it.

That is how my BIL rolls to get out of jury duty

RSX

There is a guy in my running club who apparently doesn't shower before races. I keep a distance those days.

I almost always shower  in the morning, and then sometimes again at night if conditions warrant it.

LTH, if you were stankin' it up ahead of me, the best way to escape would be to pass Big grin

Revenge of the Nerd

Taking a warm shower before a race will raise your body temp. Think of it as a part of your warm-up. If it puts some pep in your step then take that shower!

One of these days is none of these days.

~ H.G. Bohn

MrNamtor

That is how my BIL rolls to get out of jury duty

Judging by the people I encountered on jury duty, I'd say that would not disqualify anyone

Antipodean

I have started showering before races in the am. It feels good to go in at my best.

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

Mmmmm...beer

For my training runs, I wake up and I'm out the door, so no shower.  But I get up a few hours before a race, so I always shower, plus it helps wake me up.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!