Beginners and Beyond

8th Annual Turtle Trot Ft Myers Beach Florida (Read 57 times)

the DW and I ran the 8th Annual Turtle Trot at Lovers Key State Park at Ft Myers Beach Florida this morning. We arrIved Thursday and have been enjoying the beach and food......I love fresh grouper.

We rented a couple of beach bikes for transportation and decided we would ride our bikes to the race. Got up at 5am and headed down the road at 6 on our single speed beach cruiser. I could ride that thing all day.....anyway we made the 5.5 mile ride down to the state park in the dark over a couple of bridges and thru the mangroves. 

Arrived about 45 minutes early so had to wait until the park opened at 7am.......meanwhile these freaking no see um bugs were eating us alive. I ventured across the road to a marina and found bug spray.......it helped for a few minutes but that's about it.......luckily my DW chatted up with a park volunteer and she hooked us up with 100% deet bug spray! 

It was a small race, maybe 400 runners. 

A great course thru the statE park. Winding trails of crushed shells and white sand, winding thru the mangroves.

since my knee is still bugging me I decided t take it easy and just run for fun and try to pace my lovely wife.......we ran Some and we walked some and made it to the end at the beach. A great event overall and hope this is an annual trek and race For us. No PR for me maybe next year.

so we ended up with 11 miles biking riding and a 3.1 mile run half way thru. Not a bad day and now the beach and brew are calling my name.Happy  Saturday everyone!!

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

happylily

Sounds like a lovely day all around for you and DW! Enjoy the rest of this great Saturday!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Nice!  Ft. Myers Beach is very pretty and the weather is nice.  Great job!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

B-Plus

What a great way to enjoy your vacation. Lovely pics.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Sounds like a great time! Enjoy your stay, looks fun!

- Andrew

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

I'm jealous.  Have fun on the rest of vacation.

delicate flower

Sounds like a good time.  Smile

<3

LRB

Florida's bugs are man eaters!  My arm started itching just from reading that lol!

Nice way to spend a vacay!