Beginners and Beyond

Question for Indy Mini Runners (Read 36 times)

I'd like to bring my headphones with me for Saturday, but the website isn't exactly clear on if they allow them or not. It's discouraged, as best I can tell. If you're running, are you planning on bringing your own tunes? I'd be fine without, but would prefer to have them.

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

http://pub.epageview.com/aglaia/viewer.aspx?docid=20416b09287e407c9467cf4172138391

Page 15 in the booklet says NO headphones.   BUT you will still see a lot of people wearing them.

Which corral are you starting from?

Interesting. That verbiage is different from the site. Eh, I'll leave them at home.

They put me in Corral V. When I signed up, I was hoping to just finish, running the whole distance, so I put in a time of 2:55. Since then, I've modified my goal to get under 2:30. With this being my first Mini, I have no idea how hard (or easy) it will be to maintain my (marginally) faster pace with all the people out there. Hopefully things spread out a little bit as the race wears on.

Do you have experience with this race, Venomized?

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

Love the Half

Leave them at home.  You'll enjoy it more and no one will throw things at you for being oblivious to your surroundings.  If you're starting in the farther back corrals, you will find it nearly impossible to run your goal pace for at least the first couple of miles.  I've seen people weaving and dodging but I'm not at all sure that benefits them as they probably waste so much energy trying to run fast in the first couple of miles that they lose it at the end.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

This at least gives me hope that I'll be able to run my goal pace for a good portion of the race. I'm picturing running elbow-to-elbow with so many people that I'm just stuck.

Leave them at home.  You'll enjoy it more and no one will throw things at you for being oblivious to your surroundings.  If you're starting in the farther back corrals, you will find it nearly impossible to run your goal pace for at least the first couple of miles.  I've seen people weaving and dodging but I'm not at all sure that benefits them as they probably waste so much energy trying to run fast in the first couple of miles that they lose it at the end.

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

If you are starting back in V it will be a good 15 minutes (or more) until you are up to the starting mat.  No worries because that is where your chip time starts.  Center of the course tends to get packed up to start with but the sides seem to have good traffic flow.  On the left you will see people jump up on the median to run and pass people.  Like LTH said, the ducking and weaving may not be a good idea as you could burn off energy needed later in the race.  Expect to run over a few hundred walkers that guessed wrong on the entry and got a higher corral.  This will be my 3rd Mini and I have been up in G and H so far.  Even up there I still had to maneuver around a few walkers that were likely Gallow-walking the course

The first couple waterstops will be a cluster fuck so I would recommend carrying a disposable bottle so you can sail through the water stops early on.  If the sun is out then the track will get warm since there is no shade.

Ball of Fury

I wore my headphones last year without a problem, but it's up to you.  I had a friend who started in V last year and we where on mile 6-7 by the time she started.  It will be crowded for a while, but try not to waste energy bobbing and weaving.  Just soak it all in and have fun!!  I am so super bummed about missing this race!!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Thanks for the help, guys. It's not looking like the sun will be an issue this weekend.

If you are starting back in V it will be a good 15 minutes (or more) until you are up to the starting mat.  No worries because that is where your chip time starts.  Center of the course tends to get packed up to start with but the sides seem to have good traffic flow.  On the left you will see people jump up on the median to run and pass people.  Like LTH said, the ducking and weaving may not be a good idea as you could burn off energy needed later in the race.  Expect to run over a few hundred walkers that guessed wrong on the entry and got a higher corral.  This will be my 3rd Mini and I have been up in G and H so far.  Even up there I still had to maneuver around a few walkers that were likely Gallow-walking the course

The first couple waterstops will be a cluster fuck so I would recommend carrying a disposable bottle so you can sail through the water stops early on.  If the sun is out then the track will get warm since there is no shade.

paulski66

miscreant

I wore my headphones last year without a problem, but it's up to you.  I had a friend who started in V last year and we where on mile 6-7 by the time she started.  It will be crowded for a while, but try not to waste energy bobbing and weaving.  Just soak it all in and have fun!!  I am so super bummed about missing this race!!

Ami, why are you missing the race? Are you hurt?

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

wshealey

ernsm1th - good luck with the Mini. I wanted to run it for my first HM this year by my DD is graduating from IU the same day and DW didn't think that would be a good idea. We're running the Geist Half in two weeks and DW had the same question about headphones. She can't run without them. The website says no headphones but if you look at the photo on their homepage, about half of the runners have earbuds. I'm figuring they have the rule in place for insurance purposes but don't really enforce it.

Ball of Fury

Ami, why are you missing the race? Are you hurt?

Yep!  Trochanteric bursitis and ITBS, to the point where I am limping while trying to run.  Had steroid injections yesterday and trying a new PT this week for ART, but definitely out for the Mini.  Ortho said I can run short runs if they are not super painful and if I don't have to alter my stride so the 5K is a possibility but unlikely.  How is your injury doing...hamstring right?

paulski66

miscreant

Yep!  Trochanteric bursitis and ITBS, to the point where I am limping while trying to run.  Had steroid injections yesterday and trying a new PT this week for ART, but definitely out for the Mini.  Ortho said I can run short runs if they are not super painful and if I don't have to alter my stride so the 5K is a possibility but unlikely.  How is your injury doing...hamstring right?

Ouch. Sorry to hear. Where are you going to ART? I did Indy Spine and Rehab last year, and liked them.

The hamstring is coming along. I've actually had a couple of good, strong, 13+ miles runs in a row now (Sunday, then Monday), so I'm feeling confident heading into Saturday's race that I won't embarrass myself with my plan to start in the A corral. I won't break 1:30, but 1:40 should be pretty do-able and maybe even 1:35. We'll see...

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...

Thanks! Perhaps I was trying to read between the lines on the website. I noticed the picture on the site too. Kinda funny. They claim there's more than enough entertainment on the course to get you through. My problem resides in having to hear myself huff and puff mile after mile. It'll be fine, but I was curious as to what other people might be doing.

Congratulations on your DD! That's a great accomplishment. Good luck at Geist. My pastor will be running that - the field should be just a bit smaller than the Mini. Smile

ernsm1th - good luck with the Mini. I wanted to run it for my first HM this year by my DD is graduating from IU the same day and DW didn't think that would be a good idea. We're running the Geist Half in two weeks and DW had the same question about headphones. She can't run without them. The website says no headphones but if you look at the photo on their homepage, about half of the runners have earbuds. I'm figuring they have the rule in place for insurance purposes but don't really enforce it.

Ball of Fury

Ouch. Sorry to hear. Where are you going to ART? I did Indy Spine and Rehab last year, and liked them.

The hamstring is coming along. I've actually had a couple of good, strong, 13+ miles runs in a row now (Sunday, then Monday), so I'm feeling confident heading into Saturday's race that I won't embarrass myself with my plan to start in the A corral. I won't break 1:30, but 1:40 should be pretty do-able and maybe even 1:35. We'll see...

I live near Cincy now so going to Norwood Chiropractic here.  My doc who is a runner said the guy works with a ton of runners in the area so I am hopeful. Glad your runs are going well and I HIGHLY doubt you will embarrass yourself!

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Yeah they claim there is entertainment on the course but . . . . .

Back in 2008 1 of the "entertainers" was a guy with a boombox and a microphone that sounded like crap.