Beginners and Beyond

THURSDAILIES: Fridailies' Scrawny Little Cousin (Read 40 times)

Good morning, people!

I'm precaffeinated. I'm about to caffeinate before hitting the gym for cardio.

Yesterday, I did speedwork (one-mile warmup in 9:46, then eight quarter-mile-repeats at 2:05 with recoveries of 1:55 at 3.0mph (20:00). I eliminated the last recovery and just kept going at my speedy pace (7.2mph/8:19) for a little more than four minutes, until I did four miles. Then, I did weights, push-ups, and ab work.

Tuesday, I did nine miles in 1:29:29. 9:56 pace. Ab work and push-ups.

LRB

What up B!

Nuffin' much for me in the way of exercise unless you count these coffee curls I am doing now, and the wine curls I will be doing after work. 

delicate flower

Hey hey whatdaya say!  Today is Thursday, if my calendar is correct!  Speaking of which, 8.25 real easy miles last night.  More of the same planned for after work today.  The dog days of summer training are upon us.  Barring some sort of URD, I'll be getting back into the mid-50's for mileage this week.  'Bout time.

<3

Cyberic

I'm not too sure about this "Run from the glutes" thing anymore. Or is it my Achilles' stretches I did at the beginning of the week. Or the fact that I changed two things at a time... but my calves are killing me. The worse part is I'm not even sure I'm running from the glutes correctly

B-Plus

Good morning runners! 8 miles today!

happylily

Good morning!

It's a beautiful day here. Finally cooled down a bit, and there's a nice breeze. I''ll be spending my work day outside, watching the flowers grow, the kids play and maybe posting a little. Poor me. 

11 miles after work. Aiming for 7:40/7:50 pace.

Have a nice day!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

LRB

The worse part is I'm not even sure I'm running from the glutes correctly

You would not be alone in that regard.  I basically just shelved that whole idea for a later date after just one run.

While there are some static stretches I do from time to time, most of my stretches are of the dynamic variety.  I found that I get more bang for my buck with those and they are safer for those of us who are tight.

happylily

You would not be alone in that regard.  I basically just shelved that whole idea for a later date after just one run.

While there are some static stretches I do from time to time, most of my stretches are of the dynamic variety.  I found that I get more bang for my buck with those and they are safer for those of us who are tight.

Rick, what do you think of runners like LTH who believe that it's better to run as is natural to one's body? Brad always cites Paula Radcliffe as one elite with poor form and strange mechanics who manages to run successfully.

Docket_Rocket

Morning.  Working from home today, followed by Pilates, a run, and a massage.

Court in a few, so carry on.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

8 miles with 5 of them faster, maybe call it MP, but really not quite sure.

Dave

LRB

Rick, what do you think of runners like LTH who believe that it's better to run as is natural to one's body? Brad always cites Paula Radcliffe as one elite with poor form and strange mechanics who manages to run successfully.

Aside from the obvious things; not clenching your fists or tensing up, and running with as less effort as possible for the pace at hand for the individual, a person should absolutely run how they run, not how someone else runs.

I was asked about  a form change in another thread and as I stated there, through all my training and improvements my form has remained unchanged for the most part since my first year of running.

The only significant change I made was running centered over my feet as opposed to behind them (over-striding) as I did the first few months I started running.  After that, it has all been about running the same paces with a little effort as possible...becoming light on my feet if you will.

LRB

I would also add that a change in shoes was huge for me, in terms of heel height.

Going to a lower heel height made me a more efficient runner without doing anything, as despite my sincerest attempts my stupid heels drag across the ground when I am wearing anything that approaches 30 mm and higher.

It was a very subtle thing but boy did it clean up things nicely!

Rick, sounds good. I also recommend doing arm curls while holding single-malt.

Phil, excellent 8.25 last night. Have fun tonight.

Cyberic99, what do you mean by running from the glutes?

B-Plus, enjoy your eight-miler.

Lily, have a beautiful eleven-miler tonight.

Damaris, have a great time with the Pilates, run, and massage.

DaveP MI, wonderful eight.

My plan was to double the cardio today, doing two forty-five minute sessions on the ArcTrainer or the AMT. I went a little crazy. I did ninety minutes on the AMT.

Who's going to sleep at a decent hour tonight? MoiSmile

happylily

I would also add that a change in shoes was huge for me, in terms of heel height.

Going to a lower heel height made me a more efficient runner without doing anything, as despite my sincerest attempts my stupid heels drag across the ground when I am wearing anything that approaches 30 mm and higher.

It was a very subtle thing but boy did it clean up things nicely!

That's my uninformed opinion as well (run as feels natural to you). And I agree with keeping relaxed and running centred. Over-striding has never been a problem for me since I have a very natural short stride. But according to the last PT I went to see regarding my plantar fasciitis, I should run leaning forward, with my butt sticking out more. I tried, it didn't feel good and I said eff that. I'll run as feels natural to me, with my one leg shorter than the other and my one screwed foot. But I do believe that a strong core is important. More so than the way I run.

I was going to ask about the heel drop. I understand nothing about that. What so different from one shoe to another? I think my Newtons have low drop. They do feel very different from my Asics.

LRB

I was going to ask about the heel drop. I understand nothing about that. What so different from one shoe to another? I think my Newtons have low drop. They do feel very different from my Asics.

The heel drop usually refers to the difference in height off the floor between the front of the shoe and the heel (like a shoe with the same height from the ground on the front and rear is considered zero drop), I do not really get into any of that at all.  Just that the heel height is like 26mm or lower.