Beginners and Beyond

Report and LOTS of photos - Street2Feet 5K (Read 4 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me. At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another. Hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports with Photos. I am not exactly a good photographer but hey, at least all the photos are free so my ‘subjects’ can save and share their photos if they so desire. Mucho thanks to all the people I interacted with at this event for their graciousness, patience, and good humor in letting me take photos of them.  And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos. Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes, maps, and conversation forums for runners and much more!

My 12th race done in 2016 was Street2Feet 5K done on Feb 20 in downtown San Antonio. This was the 7th time for this event and my 7th time doing it, so my streak for this one continues. This is quite a popular local annual event. Per its website (www.street2feet.org) Street2Feet, a Haven for Hope partner, is a 5K training program that promotes health in spirit, mind and body among individuals experiencing homelessness. Street2Feet participants pursue a short term goal of training for and completing a 5K race. The program promotes goal setting, self compassion, confidence and discipline through the joys of running.  At that 8 a.m. start time, it was 95% humidity, cloudy and overcast, with virtually no wind blowing. I wore one of my warm-weather short sleeved running shirts – appropriately a shirt I got from a past Street2Feet race. As much as I sweat when I run, I probably would have been more comfortable in one of my singlets.   But it was all good, even with my photo-taking walk breaks I managed to do okay, finishing in 31:40 chip time, which is pretty speedy for this old dog.

I took lots of photos for this one!  If you would rather bypass my "commentary-and-photo-report" below, you can go here for a show of just the photos - which are NOT in the order below, because for my reports, I rearrange the photos in an order to match my 'story".

Slideshow - http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2016%20Race%20Reports/2016%20Race%2012%20Street2Feet%205K

BEFORE THE START

In my gear and ready to go to the race site....

photo 001_zpsanzuz2im.jpg

photo 002_zpsqo1mypmo.jpg

...right down to my 'Dancing Doggie" socks...of course, my lovely wife is that beautiful white one...I'm the mutt.... 

photo 003_zpsiyrk1oe1.jpg

Race start time 8 a.m. I arrived about an hour before that, got a nice parking space close to the start/finish area and wandered around taking some pre-start photos. The staging and start/finish area was near the Presbyterian church on 4th Street.

It was still a bit dark when I arrived and Ed here was 'lighting it up' with his reflective jacket when my flash went off...

photo 005_zpsxs5fnsvm.jpg

Race Day registration volunteers.  The volunteers in the white shirts with red sleeves are wearing the race shirt participants got for this event

photo 006_zpsxpndzxb1.jpg

photo 009_zpszipaqkxz.jpg

Nice of Ronald to keep my friend Ivette dry in the smidgen of drizzle we had before the race

photo 007_zpstoalnmqm.jpg

Husband-and-wife running team Bill and Chris

photo 008_zpscpsdcg2x.jpg

The lonely start line before the participants start lining up

photo 010_zpsww9fkjo0.jpg

iaapweb.com folks who did the course set up, timing, results, etc.  Except for that lazy guy on the left with the bib...he did the race and let all his co-workers do all the work.    Just kidding, Jose!

photo 011_zpsbssvv8ww.jpg

photo 012_zps6olmfbxb.jpg

Selfie! Which is hard to do with a regular Canon camera, since you can't see yourself like on a phone camera; but I've used this camera so long I think I'm getting a knack for doing a selfie with it.

photo 013_zps43wugq8n.jpg

The speedy old guy on the right does a 6-something minute mile...and happens to be in MY age group, darn the luck!  My friend, Jim.

photo 014_zpsra4taqiz.jpg

photo 020_zpswuzeii60.jpg

photo 021_zpsgbenukfg.jpg

Brak Pak group

photo 015_zpsvmpinwh8.jpg

National Honor Society members.  After the race they had to take a quiz. 

photo 016_zps6few97rj.jpg

Street2Feet 5K course volunteers, etc.   Thanks for being out there for us!

photo 017_zpsvqu43j9y.jpg

photo 018_zps3zztcfjo.jpg

photo 019_zpst1mi9jme.jpg

Uh oh..here's trouble...  

photo 022_zpslvozakmg.jpg

..and double-trouble...

photo 023_zpsbuggla1k.jpg

The bike pacers for the lead runners

photo 024_zpsygnchuk0.jpg

Our race organizer and MC, the lovely Lana

photo 025_zpszdfk1xbh.jpg

Team RWB San Antonio, veteran's group of which I am a member

photo 026_zpsmjl0zn7b.jpg

photo 027_zpslxmebtcu.jpg

RWB San Antonio Team Leader Roy and his son, future Team Leader.  This was his son's first 5K.

photo 028_zpsomsi071h.jpg

photo 029_zps3rlsb6y5.jpg

photo 030_zpsq3kba5fg.jpg

photo 031_zpsklnxg1si.jpg

photo 032_zpsncmcetxq.jpg

Four Old Dudes

photo 034_zpsu1j3mjd7.jpg

Four Old Dudes and two lovely ladies

photo 036_zpsme9k3rau.jpg

Husband-and-wife team ready to race

photo 037_zpspw873zcd.jpg

In front of me at the start, and behind me

photo 038_zps7ir6s3rt.jpg

photo 039_zpsfrrdtgvc.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Done in the downtown San Antonio area, this course is very flat – so a good PR course for those who have that as a goal – and goes by the colorful downtown library, crosses a couple of bridges giving a nice view of the San Antonio Riverwalk below and right before the finish passes in front of The Alamo. Course map for those interested - http://www.street2feet.org/2016-s2f-5k--kids-k.html

photo 040_zpsrktqvfem.jpg

photo 041_zpsr4b5i2hv.jpg

photo 042_zpsvxn8thlv.jpg

photo 043_zpsbg18giqc.jpg

photo 044_zpsgalcdw7q.jpg

A bit past the halfway mark now...

photo 047_zpscqjw7vvr.jpg

photo 048_zpsxvoxxsiq.jpg

Near the 'uniquely colored" downtown San Antonio Library

photo 050_zpsgl9ixtij.jpg

photo 052_zpseatrvpgd.jpg

photo 049_zpsgk4fqwwv.jpg

Part of the San Antonio Riverwalk below us

photo 051_zpspok9as27.jpg

Just before made the last turn to the finish...past The Alamo with a mariachi band playing in front of it

photo 053_zpsvrjmyyk2.jpg

AFTER THE FINISH

Got some water and did a short cool-down walk. Got some photos of some people who were finishing after me, and then wandered around getting random photos of “happy finishers”, volunteers, supporters, etc.   There were some food vendors there selling food and there was also one local eatery – I never did see their signage name, sorry – that was dishing out a paper plate of food to finished participants. Looked pretty good – but smelled pretty spicy, so as me and my digestive system have a problem with spicy – about the spiciest thing I can eat is very mild mustard, lol – I passed and kept on taking photos.

photo 054_zpswvlt0lui.jpg

photo 055_zpsyuoh8hlg.jpg

photo 056_zpshrvn7hft.jpg

photo 057_zpsmbhybkf2.jpg

photo 058_zps27qkygxi.jpg

photo 059_zpszosc7ijl.jpg

photo 060_zpsmgeelu4l.jpg

photo 061_zpswvl7xjkq.jpg

photo 062_zpsrsqyqsz5.jpg

My friends Margaret and Rocky.  Rocky is one speedy little dog.

photo 063_zpstqpvuvwd.jpg

photo 064_zpsagculxr6.jpg

My friend, Sally (left) did really well for her first post-surgery race

photo 065_zpsnbtodrxu.jpg

yeah...where was this stroller guy when I needed a ride into the finish with about a half-mile to go? 

photo 066_zpsm6b4blf6.jpg

photo 067_zpsy3iyoojj.jpg

photo 068_zpsdpb6q7sd.jpg

photo 069_zpsnnfzmvro.jpg

photo 070_zpsdaotir1n.jpg

photo 071_zpsdbcunxt2.jpg

photo 072_zpskb0ae3qs.jpg

photo 073_zps24jpkjzk.jpg

Hurache Turbo team.  Lovely team Leader Ceci (front, kneeling next to lady with bib 59) told 'em to get into the photo or else!

photo 074_zpscfnfsvkm.jpg

photo 075_zpshujciras.jpg

These two ladies were course volunteers and then ran in after that.

photo 076_zpsaxmaczmb.jpg

This is MC Lana's boyfriend.  I don't know who that guy on the left is. 

photo 077_zpsg799y9ny.jpg

photo 078_zpsvfixxejv.jpg

Me and my friend Arturo.  I'm always joking with him that he never smiles in his photos.   So today I tried to pull an "Arturo" pose with him..

photo 079_zpsrizigxjo.jpg

..but obviously I'm just not as good at it as 'the original' , so I had to laugh...and I got a bit of a smile from him, lol.

photo 080_zpsogq6nvta.jpg

photo 081_zpssmcewyro.jpg

I told the guy beside Arturo to tickle him...and still got nada smile...that Arturo is disciplined! 

photo 092_zps5vmyvfaq.jpg

photo 082_zpslkmvqpft.jpg

photo 083_zpsgh12vloi.jpg

My friend and co-worker, Alma, and her daughter

photo 084_zps4um2zixd.jpg

photo 085_zpsjos6z9m1.jpg

photo 086_zpspxv4oc7m.jpg

photo 087_zpskwpqz1ab.jpg

Lana doing awards presentations

photo 088_zpsomukgmfu.jpg

photo 089_zpsg1trhl6j.jpg

At every race I see this lady, I always think she is Lana's twin....hmmm...is Lana's mom (next photo, she is on right) not telling us something? 

photo 090_zpsulk9mexf.jpg

photo 094_zpswhhkzgd3.jpg

My lovely friend Cecy, and some guy she picked up   ....years ago...I can't remember how long they've been married.  Cecy and Victor are both great people.

photo 091_zpseac3uij9.jpg

photo 093_zpsxymoepjc.jpg

photo 097_zpssfsna8yb.jpg

Speedy Bill placed in his age group; well..he IS a lawyer...and there was this ambulance in front of him...    ok, he's not that kind of lawyer, lol...he's just darn speedy.

photo 095_zpsenhqv2zd.jpg

My friend, Sally, placed too. Way to go, good comeback!

photo 096_zpss0e9xafs.jpg

EPILOGUE

Love this event!   Always well organized, great sponsors and patrons, really nice race shirts, always unique each year, great course that even has ‘cheer teams’ along the way for participants, and there is even a ‘team contest’ with the team having the most participants in the 5K getting an award. Also, always done for a great cause, supporting SAMM Ministries, people in Haven for Hope, and the Street2Feet program. Big shout-out to my friend – and, of course, one of my ‘running crushes’ – the lovely Lana Hernandez who always does a great job organizing this event – of course she does get a little help from family, friends, and volunteers - and this year she was also the MC for it. This year was no exception, she did great again.

Mucho thanks to all the volunteers, sponsors, law enforcement, etc, who were all out there for us participants today; all those folks that made this one happen for all the participants. All of you did great for us!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt