Beginners and Beyond

SATURDAILIES are all right for running (Read 249 times)

@runjerseygirl

Morning again, Dailies!

Kay, I like your talking mug! What are these kettleballs? Do you mean weights or something from eastern Europe that tastes really good?

Shari, hope you feel better this afternoon. I had a touch of the scratchy throat this morning, remnants of a cold that just won't quite go away entirely.

5-digit Kristin, I'm glad that your yoga instructor had some time to work with you. Also glad you got your roller. I have one, but haven't really used it. I do, however, use the stick on my calves from time to time.

Since I felt like it, I went out for 3.5 easy miles this morning, 9:19 overall pace. The first mile a little slower, but the last 2.5 splits were within a second of one another. A nice wake-up run in the chilly 27 degree weather. Not really that cold if you dress properly, and I apparently did.

PS - Heidi, forgot to say, great run yesterday. I'm glad to see that you appear to have a handle on your pain issue.

Kettlebells

<--- NOT ME.  Wish it was, though.

Do you even run?

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Oh, OK. Nice pic BTW... Are you sure that isn't you?!

For some reason, I was thinking of some kind of food that would be a cross between Kielbasa, Braunshwieger, and Swedish Meat Balls. Smile

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

Zelanie

Morning!  Thanks for the coffee, Kay!  I need it today.  Had to get up early to drop DD off for her robotics team kickoff.  Of course I didn't manage to get to sleep any earlier last night.  Today I am making a big dinner for her entire team, and also enjoying a RD!

Tom- Good luck getting everything done!

April- Enjoy the group run!

fla- Sounds lovely!  And I will stretch.  The hammies will remind me today, that's for sure!

c0de- Good luck!

Shari- Sorry you're not feeling well!

Ami- Enjoy the extended time off!

LRB- Hope you've located some Joe.  Good luck running without too much slipping around.

Kay- Enjoy the kettlebells.  I haven't tried those yet.

Kristin- So happy for your successful run!

Beth- Nice swim!

Heidi- I'm glad you're finding success with your IT band issue.

@runjerseygirl

If you haven't tried them, I strongly suggest it.  The imbalance caused by the shape of the bell makes for a great core workout in addition to whatever area your moves are focusing on.  Plus, it's suggested that the effects of the workout will stick with you for several hours after the workout is done.  I'll have to find the article and post it.

ETA link: HERE

Do you even run?

runmomto3boys

If you haven't tried them, I strongly suggest it.  The imbalance caused by the shape of the bell makes for a great core workout in addition to whatever area your moves are focusing on.  Plus, it's suggested that the effects of the workout will stick with you for several hours after the workout is done.  I'll have to find the article and post it.

ETA link: HERE

I have heard so much about these  I would really like to try a work out with them.  Do you go to a class at the gym, or do you have them at home and then do some exercises on your own, or what?

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

I'm just thinking that you could probably do many of the same movements and lifts with dumbbells that you might do with kettleballs. Presses, curls, deadlifts, rowing, kickbacks, etc.

@runjerseygirl

I have heard so much about these  I would really like to try a work out with them.  Do you go to a class at the gym, or do you have them at home and then do some exercises on your own, or what?

I have one at home and do them here.  Classes definitely give you a better workout, because the instructors really know how to push you.  If you want to try them out, check out a class if you can.  With a 3 and 5 year old at home, I can't really do that.  I wish I could, though.

Do you even run?

@runjerseygirl

I'm just thinking that you could probably do many of the same movements and lifts with dumbbells that you might do with kettleballs. Presses, curls, deadlifts, rowing, kickbacks, etc.

Tom, there are a lot of moves that you can do with the kettlebells that you can't do with dumbbells (or would be more awkward with a dumbbell), like swings, passes, snatches, etc.  But yes, the moves you listed can be done with dumbbells.

Do you even run?

LRB

It's a completely different concept than standard weight lifting.

While some movements can be mimicked with dumbbells, many of those are not incorporated into a kettlebell routine.

The "handle" on kettlebells allow for an entirely different stimulus and thus, workout possibilities than dumbbells.

Sounds like you all are haveing a good start to the day..........I just got back from the gym had a protein smoothie and hope to leave here in a bit for a 5 mile run.

Happy Saturday everyone!

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

Zelanie

Kay, thanks for the link!  I got it open and will check it out later on today!

Shakedown Street

SRD-maybe an hour in the pool if I can sneak away from my kids during nap.

Started-5/12, RWOL refugee,5k-24:23 (1/12/13),10K-55:37(9/15/12),HM-1:52:59(3/24/13)

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Tom, there are a lot of moves that you can do with the kettlebells that you can't do with dumbbells (or would be more awkward with a dumbbell), like swings, passes, snatches, etc.  But yes, the moves you listed can be done with dumbbells.

Interesting - I'll have to look into them a bit more.

Although dumbbells are plentiful in our society these days! Smile

@runjerseygirl

Interesting - I'll have to look into them a bit more.

Although dumbbells are plentiful in our society these days! Smile

LRB is spot on.  And again, the uneven weight distribution on the kettlebell creates more of a workout because along with the moves, your body is trying to stabilize itself and control the motion.

Do you even run?

@runjerseygirl

30 minute workout for me.

12 pound kettlebell: pass, bent row, dead lift, squat, figure 8, half get-up, swing, windmill. 3 sets x 15 reps

Do you even run?