Beginners and Beyond

If it's Tuesday, We Must be Penguins (Read 29 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

Merrell Road GLOVES...so you'll be running on your hands, HsM?  Good luck with that....     Speaking of MapMyRun...does anyone know if there is some other system beside that, that will map "curves and bends" and also if you go off-road, like on trails and such. MapMyRun is very frustrating to use - for me anyway - to try and map a distance for that type of thing.

Well, I HAVE been running in Five Fingers, so I'm just continuing my trend!!

Yeah, MapMyRun seems confined to roads, which is why I really only have an estimate of where I walked.  My Garmin would've been better.  DH actually brought his, but tended to either forget to wear it, or forget to turn it on or off. 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

SheCan

Morning PAD!

Lauren-- good job getting your run in!

Docket-- morning, hope your lungs behave today.

obie-- hope you have fun today, and that you're able to get a nice run in.

jack-- 43*!  Nice nice!  Enjoy.  Yay@ you getting in 7 miles even with the elevation & hills!  You're a trooper.

Margo-- hi ya, and hope you have a good run tonight.

HopesMom--  I'm so glad you're on my 2014-miles game team!  Good luck with the new shoes.  I'll be curious to see how they work for you.

Jerry--  hope your weather complies, and you're able to get your miles in.

Scotty-- you're so good about getting your runs in despite the heat.

BIN-- hey ya stranger.  I noticed you are on my new 2014 team also. Yay!  So glad there are familiar faces there.

I did about 7.3 at the gym today.  I've pretty much decided I need to get myself up in the morning, and do a "real" outside run.  I want to do a painting workshop, and I won't have time if I go to the gym.  Also, last night I had a bad dream about a bear chasing me down a isolated road.  I guess Margo & SF's bear talk yesterday must have subconsciously scared me.  

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Jack, you deserve a beer.

Cherie, did you see your new friend at the gym?

Hi Bin !!!

Singer who runs a smidge

HopesMom--  I'm so glad you're on my 2014-miles game team!  Good luck with the new shoes.  I'll be curious to see IF they work for you.

FYP! 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

SheCan

Cherie, did you see your new friend at the gym?

Haha!  No.  He probably thinks I'm a total doofus anyway after talking to me, and that's okay.  I don't mind a little flirting within a marriage, but I go to the gym to workout, not to flirt.  Though I will say it's occasionally flattering. :-)

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

hog4life

Cherie, hehe, you tickle me.

5.6 miles that were aweful. started out slow, and got even slower. Tomorrow's another day.

SheCan

5.6 miles that were aweful. started out slow, and got even slower. Tomorrow's another day.

LOL, Mitch, yup, you get to experience the socially, awkward world of being a female nerd though me.  

Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day for you.  Its just hard to run in the heat and humidity.  *hugs* to you.

Cherie

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Some days are like that, Mitch.  Better luck tomorrow!

Wow, SO glad I ran this morning....the San Antonio skies are VERY dark now and lightning is flashing in the distance.

Work is a bit crazy these days.   In my department we have a team of 4.  One worker is on disability leave before she retires at the end of the month and probably will not be back in at all.  Our boss is in Greece right now for a month (mix of business and pleasure) which leaves me and the other person to handle the research and data maintenance workload for EIGHTEEN Development officers, our Big Boss (a university VP) and the university President who often needs 'short-notice' stuff done when he has unexpected meetings that come up.   My normal work hours are 7 - 4 pm, but so is that of my co-worker.  The bosses want someone to be the "late person" for the day (which is usually the person who is in Greece now) so since my co-worker has kids and I don't, I went ahead and told them I'd do it.  So my hours for summer will be 8:30 a.m. - 5:30 pm.  Which is not bad, actually, gives me plenty of time in the morning to get a run or workout in when it is much cooler in Texas summer.  And even sleep in late a bit on non-workout week days.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

Adventures in running, Tico style.

I was up and out super early to go to the track for my 6 x 800.  But after one rep I was pretty sure I was going to need to go to the bathroom, and there wasn't one available.  I suffered through two more intervals before I decided that I really needed to walk home.  No problem, I thought, somebody from the house is going to the gym at 7:30, maybe I'll go with her and see if I can join the gym there.

Then I heard that no, this isn't the type of gym where you can run, it's just for classes.  But there's another park in the other direction that has bathrooms.  Cool.

Meanwhile, I got a call that I needed to drop some paperwork off for one of the students at her school.  It was close, and I got directions and headed off on foot.  I got to where the school was supposed to be, and nobody had heard of it.  Lame.  Also, my phone isn't working, and hasn't been for over a day now.  But on the bright side, I must have been able to at least fake looking like I knew what I was doing, because somebody stopped to ask ME for directions!

I pull out the address of the family and ask somebody, and they think it might be in the next district over, maybe I should take the bus?  Instead I hop a taxi, we head over to where I had been directed at the store, but nobody there has heard of the school either.  Maybe it's the school where they wear red pants?  But of course I haven't been there, I don't know what kind of pants they wear.

So I end up using the taxi driver's phone to call the girl who is at school to find out where it is.  It's in a totally different part of town, maybe 15-20 minutes away.  Well, I've come this far, OK, Mr. Taxi driver, let's just go.

I got the the school, paid the driver, visit the girl, drop off the papers, and am on my way again.  I hop another taxi to get back home, and when I pay the second guy (the rate that the meter says, last guy wasn't using a meter), I realize I got ripped off last time- about double what it should have been!  I had no idea since it was my first taxi ride here.  Maybe it was a premium for driving around asking questions and using the guy's phone.  Hah!

So I get home and of course have to watch the Costa Rica team's world cup game.  A tie- enough for them to win their group, which is a great result.  Then there are lots of fireworks and stuff going off.  People are driving around all over the place with flags and horns.

Then it's time for lunch.  And I still haven't gotten my second run in.  I was short in miles yesterday, that is NOT going to happen today!

So I headed out just a little while after lunch.  It was about a mile to the other park, down a very busy street.  I get there and I am trying to do my last 3 intervals, but I keep running in to dead ends, huge broken bits of sidewalk, hills and bridges, people on bikes and sidewalks blocking the path, etc.  So at least I did 3 "hard" intervals, but I very rarely had good footing and level ground.

A scope of the area revealed one set of locked bathrooms with a sign that said it costs the equivalent of 50 cents to use them, but no clear way to pay.  There is a police station next door with some policemen outside shoveling gravel, but I am NOT going to go ask them how to get in to the bathrooms!  Especially since I don't even have to go, I was just scouting.  There IS a Burger King nearby, that may be an option. Smile

I got home and found out that yes, the gym does apparently have treadmills, so that might work.  I've been invited to come to a class with somebody from my house tomorrow, so maybe I'll scope out that option while I'm there.  There is another gym in the other direction, but close to the track.  That might be a nice one because I can start my run outside, and just head in to the gym if I need to.

Now it is pouring down rain, so I'm chilling.  I am supposed to be calling all of the students to check in on them, but my phone is not working.  The guy here who is supposed to fix them supposedly just went to do that.  Maybe that is where he went.  If they're still not working tomorrow, I can head downtown to see if I can come up with something myself.

hog4life

Zel, keep the adventures coming. You've painted a pretty good picture from today's events. Be safe!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Zel, you are starting to write like Scotty.  Maybe you should carry some doggy treats too.

SheCan

Wow, SO glad I ran this morning....the San Antonio skies are VERY dark now and lightning is flashing in the distance.

Maybe you'll get rain and cool everything off!   You have a great attitude about the upheaval at work.  Plus with the later work hours, you get to hang out and check out the forum later in the day!

Zelanie-- Omgosh your post made me tired!   New place and new world makes for so much confusion.  By the time you have it all figured out, i'll be about time to come home.  At least you didn't wet yourself (or did you?)  Good luck to tomorrow, and looking forward to hearing more about your adventures.

Cherie

Zelanie

Maybe you'll get rain and cool everything off!   You have a great attitude about the upheaval at work.  Plus with the later work hours, you get to hang out and check out the forum later in the day!

Zelanie-- Omgosh your post made me tired!   New place and new world makes for so much confusion.  By the time you have it all figured out, i'll be about time to come home.  At least you didn't wet yourself (or did you?)  Good luck to tomorrow, and looking forward to hearing more about your adventures.

Cherie- No, I made it home just fine.

Hey, even if YOU don't go to the gym to flirt, that doesn't mean that Mr. Cute Young Guy wasn't there for that reason! 

Sorry for the novel, I just wanted to share the story of my day.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Zelanie, you had quite an adventure there yesterday!

Adventures in running, Tico style.

I was up and out super early to go to the track for my 6 x 800.  But after one rep I was pretty sure I was going to need to go to the bathroom, and there wasn't one available.  I suffered through two more intervals before I decided that I really needed to walk home.  No problem, I thought, somebody from the house is going to the gym at 7:30, maybe I'll go with her and see if I can join the gym there.

Then I heard that no, this isn't the type of gym where you can run, it's just for classes.  But there's another park in the other direction that has bathrooms.  Cool.

Meanwhile, I got a call that I needed to drop some paperwork off for one of the students at her school.  It was close, and I got directions and headed off on foot.  I got to where the school was supposed to be, and nobody had heard of it.  Lame.  Also, my phone isn't working, and hasn't been for over a day now.  But on the bright side, I must have been able to at least fake looking like I knew what I was doing, because somebody stopped to ask ME for directions!

I pull out the address of the family and ask somebody, and they think it might be in the next district over, maybe I should take the bus?  Instead I hop a taxi, we head over to where I had been directed at the store, but nobody there has heard of the school either.  Maybe it's the school where they wear red pants?  But of course I haven't been there, I don't know what kind of pants they wear.

So I end up using the taxi driver's phone to call the girl who is at school to find out where it is.  It's in a totally different part of town, maybe 15-20 minutes away.  Well, I've come this far, OK, Mr. Taxi driver, let's just go.

I got the the school, paid the driver, visit the girl, drop off the papers, and am on my way again.  I hop another taxi to get back home, and when I pay the second guy (the rate that the meter says, last guy wasn't using a meter), I realize I got ripped off last time- about double what it should have been!  I had no idea since it was my first taxi ride here.  Maybe it was a premium for driving around asking questions and using the guy's phone.  Hah!

So I get home and of course have to watch the Costa Rica team's world cup game.  A tie- enough for them to win their group, which is a great result.  Then there are lots of fireworks and stuff going off.  People are driving around all over the place with flags and horns.

Then it's time for lunch.  And I still haven't gotten my second run in.  I was short in miles yesterday, that is NOT going to happen today!

So I headed out just a little while after lunch.  It was about a mile to the other park, down a very busy street.  I get there and I am trying to do my last 3 intervals, but I keep running in to dead ends, huge broken bits of sidewalk, hills and bridges, people on bikes and sidewalks blocking the path, etc.  So at least I did 3 "hard" intervals, but I very rarely had good footing and level ground.

A scope of the area revealed one set of locked bathrooms with a sign that said it costs the equivalent of 50 cents to use them, but no clear way to pay.  There is a police station next door with some policemen outside shoveling gravel, but I am NOT going to go ask them how to get in to the bathrooms!  Especially since I don't even have to go, I was just scouting.  There IS a Burger King nearby, that may be an option. Smile

I got home and found out that yes, the gym does apparently have treadmills, so that might work.  I've been invited to come to a class with somebody from my house tomorrow, so maybe I'll scope out that option while I'm there.  There is another gym in the other direction, but close to the track.  That might be a nice one because I can start my run outside, and just head in to the gym if I need to.

Now it is pouring down rain, so I'm chilling.  I am supposed to be calling all of the students to check in on them, but my phone is not working.  The guy here who is supposed to fix them supposedly just went to do that.  Maybe that is where he went.  If they're still not working tomorrow, I can head downtown to see if I can come up with something myself.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Cherie, I sure hope that's YOUR great legs in your new avatar.  Very nice!  If  it's your husband's....tell him to quit shaving his legs!