Beginners and Beyond

Rita Jeptoo - two year ban (Read 60 times)

LRB

It's a fair point.  But on the other hand, should the first violation be an automatic lifetime ban?  That seems harsh at first thought because some violations are for alcohol or cocaine - illegal, but not necessarily performance enhancing.   So it would need some gray areas, I would imagine?

I did look at the banned list and hashish is also on it.  

Yo, can I get a hit off that? After my run of course 'cuz one would never leave the house smoking the shit they make these days. lol

LRB

I don't follow the sport, but a lifetime ban for anything sounds harsh, unless it is a repeat/chronic offender. Two years will certainly result in a significant loss of income, as well as the punishment of just being 2 years older when coming back.

I always assume virtually everyone's doing it anyway, and just some people are getting caught. Maybe Shalane is clean and is justified getting on her high horse, but no way to tell for sure. Her current sense of outrage is no different than statements we've heard from many other athletes, until the moment that they were caught.

I guess I am naive then because I thought the Kenyans' advantage was that they weigh only 80 damn pounds, train at altitude and are dirt shit poor and running to live.

Having said that it does not surprise me as I don't put anything past anyone.

Good point about the other athletes holier than thou attitude until it's them under the microscope. That scenario has played out time and again.

Hip Redux

Considering that alcohol is a banned substance, this puts into question the validity of the beer mile.

Ric-G

sounds lenient to me too, but what the hell do i know...maybe they should make lance armstrong special commissioner in doling out these punishments...then everyone can laugh at this charade.

marathon pr - 3:16

Docket_Rocket

And my comment was really in response to Shalane's notion that "anyone caught" should be automatic lifetime ban.   There's some variation in what a violation means and so I don't think you can just say - you violate, you're out.

I agree with her. I don't feel sorry for cheaters.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Hip Redux

I agree with her. I don't feel sorry for cheaters.

Even if it's alcohol in their system?

MTA - she cut a very black and white line, and my point is that there are some offenses that are not "cheating" like EPO,  but are still considered illegal on the WADA list.

There was a pro cyclist banned for cocaine use.  He had an addiction problem.  Got himself clean and came back to ride clean.

LRB

MTA - she cut a very black and white line, and my point is that there are some offenses that are not "cheating" like EPO,  but are still considered illegal on the WADA list.

There was a pro cyclist banned for cocaine use.  He had an addiction problem.  Got himself clean and came back to ride clean.

Alcohol being banned makes zero sense. Who called the no fun police. lol

No more marathons

I believe Shalane's word were "cheating or doping" - my guess is that, at least in her mind (mine too) doping has a very clear meaning that would not include the use of many banned substances that do not significantly improve performance.  I mean, com'on - what competitor is going to complain if the competition is mellowed out on pot?  They'll need to stop for munchies every couple of miles.  

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Hip Redux

I dunno, if the World Anti-Doping Agency has it on its list.  lol  Not sure they distinguish what's on the list in terms of what truly doping vs. drug use.  But I haven't looked at it closely.

catwhoorg

Labrat

2 years is the legally correct ban under the 2014 code, which this was tried under.

4 years would the ban for this offense effective 1/1/15

(The system is such that you are tried under the code in place at the time, unless a subsequent code is more lenient)

Alcohol is banned in competition in relatively fed events specifically:

Air Sports

Archery

Automobile

Motorcycling

Powerboating

I think I don't need to explain why those sports do I ?

(interestingly it is not longer banned in shooting....)

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Hip Redux

Still would not be considered performance enhancing lol

Hip Redux

Though drunk archery sounds like it might be a hoot to watch.

catwhoorg

Labrat

2015 prohibited list

Its worth just looking at the classifications and what/where even if you don't go too deeply into it.

For example most stimulants are banned IN COMPETITION only.

NCAA has its own documents, but they roughly align with the WADA list. (One notable exception is caffeine, which has a limit under NCAA, and is no longer listed under WADA)

If Rita were operating under the MLB rules, the normal ban would be 80 games (half a season), under the NFL 4 games (quarter of a season).

Just bear that in mind if you think 2 years is too lenient.

catwhoorg

Labrat

Still would not be considered performance enhancing lol

To be fair, thats not the name of the list. It isn't necessarily classical PEDs.

Half Crazy K 2.0

2 years is the legally correct ban under the 2014 code, which this was tried under.

4 years would the ban for this offense effective 1/1/15

(The system is such that you are tried under the code in place at the time, unless a subsequent code is more lenient)

Alcohol is banned in competition in relatively fed events specifically:

Air Sports

Archery

Automobile

Motorcycling

Powerboating

I think I don't need to explain why those sports do I ?

(interestingly it is not longer banned in shooting....)

Drunk gymnastics would get interesting. Guess it would need to be men since even overseas, most "women" gymnasts would be underage.