Beginners and Beyond

Bad foot sprain anyone? (Read 38 times)

It's been exactly one week since I rolled my ankle/foot and ended up with a pretty bad foot sprain.  It is getting better, less bruising, swelling is down but not yet gone, and I can bear more weight on it.  However, and I know it's only been a week, it just feels like this is going to take forever.  I try to walk around the house without the boot and have started to do some rehab on it. Not much but at least it's something.  So, I was just curious as to others experiences with a badly sprained foot and how long until you were able to run again.  I'm already getting impatient.

I may be slow but I never quit.

Love the Half

The worst thing you can do is get back out there too soon because someone else healed up in "x" time.  You will heal at your own rate - no faster and no slower.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Walk-Jogger

It's been over 25 years for me, but when I rolled my foot and badly sprained my ankle, I also snapped two metatarsals in my foot at the time.  I heard them break too; it sound just like a small tree branch snapping in two. The silly doctor wanted to put a plaster cast on my foot all the way up to my knee, but I nixed that idea and walked around on my heel for about 8 weeks until it healed up. My PT says that foot looks a little wonky to him when I run, but it doesn't seem to affect my running at all. Give it time, you will heal, and you will run again. I speak from a great deal of personal experience here...

Retired &  Loving It

SusanRachel

Ankle sprains can take a very long time to heal depending on how serious they are.  Don't rush it.  If you haven't seen a doc and it doesn't seem to be getting better fast enough for you, see the doc and ask for a PT referral.  They can improve your healing.  You will be more susceptible to sprains in the future, so a PT can help with that as well.