Beginners and Beyond

The Detroit Free Press Marathon Race Report (Read 99 times)

Zelanie

Well everybody else has already picked apart your race, so I'll just say congratulations on the gi-hugent PR and BQ, and from my perspective it looks like you ran really well.

The coolest thing in my book was the way your training cycle went this time.  Looks like you got to the start AND finish line healthy and are recovering well.  So now you know that's possible. Smile  Do you credit the red cord sessions and other crosstraining for that, or the overall design of your plan?

LRB

The coolest thing in my book was the way your training cycle went this time.  Looks like you got to the start AND finish line healthy and are recovering well.  So now you know that's possible. Smile  Do you credit the red cord sessions and other crosstraining for that, or the overall design of your plan?

There was no other cross-training once MRT began.  Red cord was awesome although other than feeling strong through the hips I cannot quantify it in any way except to say it was the most effective core movements I have ever done.

My 12 week plan while moderate where MRT is concerned was solid for where I am now, I will look to use it as a blueprint and build off of it in the future.

It is said that the fastest runners do not always run in the Olympics, the ones that can navigate training and avoid injury do.  That said I cannot point to a singular thing, it was everything as a whole.

If I were forced to pic one thing however oddly it would be the importance of not only stretching, but knowing how to stretch based on when you do it.  Learning this was a game changer for me.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

There was no other cross-training once MRT began.  Red cord was awesome although other than feeling strong through the hips I cannot quantify it in any way except to say it was the most effective core movements I have ever done.

My 12 week plan while moderate where MRT is concerned was solid for where I am now, I will look to use it as a blueprint and build off of it in the future.

It is said that the fastest runners do not always run in the Olympics, the ones that can navigate training and avoid injury do.  That said I cannot point to a singular thing, it was everything as a whole.

If I were forced to pic one thing however oddly it would be the importance of not only stretching, but knowing how to stretch based on when you do it.  Learning this was a game changer for me.

It was based on Daniels, no?

Damaris

LRB

It was based on Daniels, no?

In the sense that I run using his training paces and race charts yes, but the plan as whole?  No.  I tried his marathon plan A last year and while physically I hung in there, mentally I just never found a rhythm.

Maybe if I had I would have reached my goal, oh well.  I am passed it.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Nah.  You know what your body can do and how to train.  If you were not into it, it was not for you.

Damaris

Cyberic

I just checked your plan and, guess I wasn't paying attention in the dailies, I am surprised at how much you cut back on the speed work during those 12 weeks.  That is more Hansons like and Pfitz like that Daniels like, right? What made you take that decision?

LRB

I just checked your plan and, guess I wasn't paying attention in the dailies, I am surprised at how much you cut back on the speed work during those 12 weeks.  That is more Hansons like and Pfitz like that Daniels like, right? What made you take that decision?

I cannot say because I have never used those plans, although I do have the Hansons book but it has 2 and sometimes 3 quality sessions per week so I doubt it.

As for my decision I just did not feel it prudent to carry 3 quality sessions per week for 12 weeks for where I am now mostly because I did not want to beat myself up physically but more importantly mentally while training for this stupid thing.  The same reason I did not do Daniels.

workinprogress11

I just finally got around to reading this. Congratulations on the PR and BQ. Maybe if fairies spread speed dust on me in 2015 I can join you in Boston in 2016.

My only other comment is this:  Who the hell looks that good at the end of a marathon?!

LRB

I just finally got around to reading this. Congratulations on the PR and BQ. Maybe if fairies spread speed dust on me in 2015 I can join you in Boston in 2016.

My only other comment is this:  Who the hell looks that good at the end of a marathon?!

You will, at the end of Boston in '16.