Beginners and Beyond

Monday Penguins Are All About Miles And Smiles! (Read 30 times)

Dad on the run.

Hello everyone! I took the weekend off, I had already covered right at 20 miles for the week and my legs were a bit sore. Enjoyed Saturday though! What a great day for some SEC football!!! Did get a good workout in Sunday morning before church however. Really feeling it this morning, my whole body is sore, lol.

One more weekend before my 10k! I'm so excited. I haven't done a race in a really long time.

C Goal is to at least beat my old PR - 56:17 (Chip Time), 56:49 (Gun time)

B Goal is to run it in in the 55:30-55:45 range.

A Goal is sub 55:30

Gustav - Awesome job on the 40 mile week!

Docket - Sorry about the migraine

Bin - How is DD doing?

Hog - Enjoy the 5, and good luck with the half Sat. What is your goal?

Philie - have fun with the 8

Awood - Have fun with the taper.

Jack - Enjoy the SRD

Traci - Sorry to hear your shin is giving you problems. Just curious but have you tried the Keinsiology tape? There is videos all over Youtube on how to tape various injuries and at least your legs are already shaved Tongue Muellers tape at Walgreens is only 10 bucks for a roll and its seems to stick much better than KT Tape.

PAD - You will do well come half time Smile

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

PAD: I thought your HM was this week. Just stick to the plan and you will be fine. I wouldn't change it too much because it's your first HM. Get one under your belt and you will get an idea of what works and doesn't work. I like the Ryan Hall 10 week HM plan.

Coralie: Keep at it and things will come together.

HsM: Gotta love those three day weekends... I had one myself!

Traci: Damn, girl, you have been having some bad luck! Sad

Gus: Here was my week:

Moday: SRD

Tues: 7 easy miles with 6x100 strides

Wed: 11 mile tempo with 7@7:20

Thurs: SRD

Fri: 12 easy

Sat: 5 recovery pace

Sun: 20 mile progression  Start at 9:00 pace work to 8:30.

55 miles for the week. Smile

Robert31320

Team TJ

Good morning Penguins.  I was roaming around the neighborhood and saw the welcome mat.  Haven't stopped by in quite a while now.

Hope you all enjoy what you have planned for the day.

Rest day for me.

Running for TJ because he can't.

Bin Running

DD jaundice level is 278 today. Still high but on low risk. Need to do regular blood test till it dip below 100. Today I brought her to the doc myself so that DW can rest at home. More blood is draw today so that they can send some for more detailed test. DS was the same when he's newborn. We are quietly confident it's gonna be ok as DD is feeding well. Thanks for all the concerns. You guys are great.

Completed my 32k at 3:06 yday. Didn't really race too hard as still coughing. My 1st half avg pace was 9:40 and avg for 2nd half was 9:15. Wanted to do MP for 2nd half but somehow can't do it. Had a blast though as this new distance gave me much confidence.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Philliefan33

PAD -- I second this.  Since it will be an automatic PR, try not to stress too much and enjoy the experience.  There will be other opportunities to worry, but this is the only HM that you can race at whatever pace feels right on race day without comparing to previous races.

PAD: I thought your HM was this week. Just stick to the plan and you will be fine. I wouldn't change it too much because it's your first HM. Get one under your belt and you will get an idea of what works and doesn't work.

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Damaris - grrrrrr to migraines - do you think it might be food allergies? That's what it is for my wife and she seems to have them under control

Bin - congrats on the 32k. Hope your little one feels better

Hog - it's not the Ryan Hall plan - it's a Gustified Higdon Advanced 5K plan!

Phillie - have fun on your 8!

Awood  -  don't let those mental demons creep up on you - that marathon is yours!

Jack - good job on the 20

Traci - so did I read correctly that you were a metal goddess back in the day?

PAD - I agree that you should keep the long run to 10 prior to a half - long runs take time to recover from just like any quality workout.

Corallie - your fitness will come back - 2 weeks off can do that to you

Hope - sounds like you had good times with good friends

Jblack - it will feel good to toe the line again at your 10k

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

SheCan

Good morning Penguins! Big grin  Hope you all had a wonderful weekend!

Gustav-- that's a fantastic running week!  Not only is that great on miles, but you ran a lot of quality workouts also.  I'm smiling with you!

Docket-- sure hope your migraine gets better quickly.  What a bad way to start the day.

Hi ya Bin, Mitch, and Margo!

Awood-- it will go well! All your training was preparing you for whatever circumstances come up.  No need to worry about those unusual cases you can't predict.  Besides with 2 weeks left, you still have some more decent runs to get in.

Jack-- awesome 20 mile run!  You're the man.  Its really not that much longer is it?  I think you just might win the whole darn thing! Wink

tracilynn--  I'm so sorry you're having such a hard time with these shin splints.  It does seem that they are constantly giving you trouble.  I wish there was something helpful I could say, but I know there isn't.  Sad   Hang in there.  I loved the description of your hardcore look back in your 20s.  I totally wish you had pics!

PAD-- you have plenty of time to get a 13 miler in before the race.  If you don't though, just  doing the 12 will be fine for a HM.  Either way should be okay, as long as you don't overdo it too close to race day.  But as Margo says, its still just the first one.  You'll get lots of chances to do lots of different HM schedules in the future.

HsM-- Hey ya!  So cool that you got to see old friends from back home.  At least you got a 3 day weekend before you had to do the boring stuff today.  Poor little Dusty.  Hope he heals up soon.

jimmy-- You spent Saturday watching football with my hubby I guess.  He said it was an exciting, day with lots of upsets.  Good job on the miles and the gym workout.

Robert-- Hi ya!  The welcome mat is always out.  Hope you're doing alright, and the training for your upcoming half is going well.

Bin-- Can't believe your baby girl is still ill.  I was thinking most newborn jaundice would clear up fairly quickly.  Good for you for taking turns bringing her to the doctor.  I know you and your DW both must be quite tired and stressed right now.  Sending angel kisses to the little one.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

She Can  -  Thanks! I feel that having those quality workouts in there makes this milestone a little bit sweeter!

Robert - thanks for stopping by!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Dad on the run.

She Can - It was most definitely an interesting day! My wife was right there beside me though on the edge of her seat as well. Beyond happy to see Texas lose to Auburn!

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

hog4life

I got my 5.36 done in 38 degrees. I over dressed. Little more internet time, then off to bed.

Gustav, nice plan, Big grin

Jimmy, hoping for less than 1:57.

Dad on the run.

I meant to tell you all this earlier. I found out Saturday that a good friend of mine had a friend of his pass away. He was the baseball coach for the 5-6 year old baseball team. He was married with a 5 year old son. He had gotten over a really bad stomach virus and was planning to fly out Saturday to go to the Auburn / Texas game. He died very suddenly, have not heard anything back from the autopsy. Very sad news just keep the family in your thoughts and prayers.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Docket_Rocket

Oh, and Dusty gashed his leg open again Friday night.  Luckily we're learning more about successful bandaging.  Now it's just pink and raw-looking.  Sad

Poor baby!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

SheCan

I haven't ran yet this morning, but plan on getting about 6 or 7 today.

I didn't get any running in this weekend, but I did have so much fun volunteering for the race I thought I'd share a few pics from it. and do a bit of a VR (volunteer report.)

The Bisbee 1000 is our areas largest race.  It is limited to just over 2000 runners in a town with a population of 7000.  People come from all over.  It only about 4-1/2 miles but has over 1000 stairs going up the mountain side.  Here's one fraction of one of the many staircases.  Most of them have well over 100 steps each:

I

I was got to help with many aspects of the race.  One of the neatest one, is that I got to man the main start line.  Here's some of the pictures of got from here:

Firefighters getting ready to go.  Aren't they so cute!?!? :

After the main race, there's a upstair sprint race for those who might have any energy left.  Its one person at a time, go as fast as you can. They'd changed the course this year, so I was posted to make sure everyone went the right direction and nobody went rolling down the mountain.  Between racers, I got a picture of a lady who's running group from Ontario, Canada made this their destination race of the year.

After the race, the 2nd annual beer fest followed.  Here's a few of the costumed runners enjoying themselves.  The young man swears he's not Richard Simmons:

The people next to me were a total blast, cutting up and listening to music (local band Cat Daddy and the 12 Barz Blues Band.)  If you have a minute you can watch the youtube video of these runners dancing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anP8Br7slUA

Afterwards I was taken to dinner by the band. All in all it was a wonderful fun experience.  I ended up probably more tired then if I'd ran the race.  I started the day at 5 a.m. and spent many hours on my feet standing, running, waving flags, issuing directions and most of all cheering.  I didn't get home until after 7:30 that evening.  One of the things I liked about this race was that it was founded by a woman, and still ran by her and community women.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

hog4life

Did y'all see the little penguin pic I posted yesterday? It was a pumpkin painted up and it was cute.

SheCan

Did y'all see the little penguin pic I posted yesterday? It was a pumpkin painted up and it was cute.

I sure did, Mitch, it was sooooo cute.  I didn't realize it was a pumpkin though!  Us penguins get around!

Also, Zelanie:  LOVED LOVED LOVED the dreadlocks picture!  You were too freaking cute (well you still are.)

Cherie