Beginners and Beyond

Race Report and Photos: Carrera Races Gusto 15K, 10K, and 5K (Read 27 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

THE DETAILS

• Race #50 of 2014
    • Held at Martin Luther King Park in San Antonio
    • A 5K, 10K, and 15K.  Most people did the 10K and 15K.  About 40 folks did the 5K.
    • I did the 5K.  Finish time of 33:34.  1st in my age group...there were only 2 in my age group, lol.

Nice tech tee race shirt

BEFORE THE START

Wasn't quite sure where this park was, so drove down the day before to make sure I could find it so I would not be 'wandering' on race morning.  RD told me it was next door to Martin Luther King Academy.  Took me a while to find it because I kept driving PAST MLK Academy because the branches of a tree next to their school sign was well overgrown and hanging down in front of the sign, making it hard to read.  I finally figured it out and found the school and the park.  So on race day I arrived with no problem at all, now knowing where I was going. Still a bit before sunrise when I arrived around 6:40 or so for the 7:30 a.m. start and began taking some photos.

Two 'ghostly' folks from iaapweb.com, the folks that did the course set-up, timing, etc.   The reflective jacket really gave my camera a 'back-flash' for this photo, lol.

Me and one of my 'running crushes' in the San Antonio running community, Virginia of Carrera Races, a local race company that puts on several good races throughout the year and also provides a training program of races that culminate with the San Antonio Rock n Roll Marathon and Half Marathon.

Our Park Police officer out there for us.  Very nice person, we had a very nice pre-race chat.

My pals Neil and Tina (blue shirts) and friends.   Neil was the other person who was in my age group.

Our music provider

15K and 10K folks in the chute, getting ready to go.

After they were gone, I had a nice view of the 'vendor area", where all the goodies would be waiting for us post-race.

This lady led a short warm-up before the 5K started..

And then we 5K folks were off too....

ON THE COURSE

MKL Park is one of the best-kept secrets in San Antonio, I think, not used very much.  Don't know why, other than the East Side of San Antonio has somewhat of an undeserved reputation with folks who don't live in that area of being a bad area to be in.  So maybe people in other areas are just nervous about coming to this park.  I don't know why, the area has really 'cleaned up' a lot, and I talked to a few folks yesterday down there in getting directions, etc., and everyone I chatted with was very helpful.   And this park is just beautiful.  Very nice paved trails with lots of shade trees, and the trails, which connect with other trail systems and also give access to the Wheatley Sports Stadium complex, so you can go a loooong way in this park, you can get in a very nice run, walk, or bike ride here.   Definitely gonna use this park more once in a while for some of my training runs.

The course was an out-and-back on a paved trail in the park for all races.  The 15K and 10K folks started first, and then we 5K people started about 15 minutes later.   Course was well-marked with Mile markers and water stops for all the events (the 5K had 1 water stop that we hit twice, once going out to our turn-around point and once coming back).   The course was nice and VERY flat, which I was thankful for after my somewhat hilly 5K on Saturday.

As you can see, since we 5K folks had less participants than the other events, we had plenty of room for ourselves.

My pal, Tina, ahead of me in the white hat.  Chasing her Great Legs helped keep my 'old man legs' moving forward...

When you are slow like me, you tend to 'chase' a lot...

Water stop volunteers we 5K folks saw...thanks for being there for us, ladies!

Here comes Tina, for me to 'chase' again.  Thank you! 

AFTER THE RACE

Carrera Races has the BEST post-race goodies!  My first stop was the beer tent, courteously provided by Pedernales Brewing...good stuff!

There was also wine....

Starbucks...

Aside from the beer and wine, there was this table of goodies....

assorted muffins...

And these guys were handing out 'sloppy joe' sandwiches...I indulged in one and it was pretty good.

Local running store Run Wild was represented...owned by my fellow UTSA RoadRunner Katherine and her doggie, Emma (not shown in the pnoto), who loves me coming to her store because Emma knows I bring treats for her when I visit..

And, of course, all the "Happy Finishers" and their supporters, et al......

photo grayshirt_zps8f4a9ab4.jpg

EPILOG

As usual, Carrera Races and iaapweb.com did a heckuva job.  If you ever get a chance to do an event by Carrera, go for it.  Nice course locations, great post-race goodies.  Kudos to all the volunteers, sponsors, law enforcement, etc., who helped make this one happen.  This was a very pleasant morning for me - at least until I got home to watch the Damn Dallas Cowboys win their game.  BOO!   Oh, well, the race was good! 

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

Looks like a fun race!  If I ever am in the area, you can bet I'll be looking for a Carrera race! Smile  Nice job on the double-race weekend!

Somebody cut the bagels in half in a non-traditional fashion!

GinnyinPA

You can get fat racing in San Antonio - nice post race spread!

I'm glad you finally got a flat one, especially after yesterday.  Looks like a nice race. I like the idea of having the choice between 5, 10, and 15k.  Did you have some of the 10k people finishing while the 5k folks were still coming back, or were there separate courses?

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Congrats on tha AG win    !!!!

delicate flower

A few things to note here, Scotty:

• There are way too many people wearing the event shirt during the race.  This is a race fashion faux pas.  Please educate these people next time.
              • It's time you ask for a GPS for your car for Christmas
              • Nice job destroying the AG competition

<3

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Love the pics Scotty!

@Jay

They do that all the time around here, easy I suppose.  Though often times they are in 1/4's  *Grrrr*   I don't always grab a post race snack, but if I need one I hate having to get multiple 1/4 bagels...

and as much as I like a good brew and have an iron stomach,  post race brew just makes me feel ill.

Now, post post race is another story.  Wink

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

A few things to note here, Scotty:

• There are way too many people wearing the event shirt during the race.  This is a race fashion faux pas.  Please educate these people next time.
                  • It's time you ask for a GPS for your car for Christmas
                  • Nice job destroying the AG competition

Well, we're in Texas...we are not exactly fashion-conscious folks here....

Texas Longhorns Wordmark Ugly Sweater

Golf Texas...

GPS may give me directions, but it can't cure my stupid...

Yeah, gotta look for more races with only 1 other person in my AG, lol.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB

There was also wine....

You rang?