Beginners and Beyond

RR: 2013 Oakland Running Festival HM.... (Read 54 times)

Better I Leave

Forgive me but this RR is more like me simply putting down my thoughts as I recollect so it may take a tangent or two, but I hope you all enjoy it....

Last Sunday I ran my 4th Half Marathon...the 2013 Oakland Running Festival HM. This is also the 2nd time I've run this race. The 2011 event was my very first race ever entered (had no clue what I was doing then).

Anyway the weather was bearing itself out to be a very nice day. Little did I know as I was putting on my "thick" Thorlo running socks that it would warm up considerably before the end of the race. Marina and I arrived at Snow Park at 19th and Harrison about 45 minutes before start of the HM. The 5kers were finishing so we got to see them cross. Once that race was over, I and about 4500 other runners filled the street in preparation for the start. At 9:15AM, off we went.

Now, I've been nursing a rather bothersome hip issue lately so I hadn't been running in about a month. I also decided that I would not attempt any PR at this event as I didn't want to risk reinjury seeing how my Elk Grove race is on 4/7. I opted to take this run slow...just to see if my hip would cooperate over 13 miles.

We started down 19th for a few blocks and then turned left down Broadway. A few more city blocks and we turned right onto 14th by Frank Ogawa Plaza and then skewered through a few more streets before ending back on Broadway heading East toward Grand Ave. I was feeling strong and my pace was about my normal of about 9:05

A long stretch took us down Martin Luther King Blvd and then onto 11th and past the Marriott where we stayed. This was around mile 3 and I was still feeling good. Going down 14th had us skirting Lake Merritt and then over to 2nd Ave and a right onto 10th st. It was getting warm and I opted to make use of the aid stations along the way for hydration. Turning down Webster was when I felt a slight "tightening" in my hip. I decided then and there to back way off. I have a tendency to want to "push through pain", but I forced myself to simply "enjoy the race", and that's what I did. I mean, it seems like every 1/4 mile along the course we were met with the most enthusiastic cheering sections I've ever experienced. There were bands playing, taikko drummers, DJs...you name it. Lotsa fun

Around mile 6, we turned up Mandela Parkway for a long run "up" to 32nd ave and looping back through West Oakland to 28th into downtown once again. At mile 9 we approached Lake Merritt. By this time I was regretting my choice in socks. The temps had warmed up enough and with the entire course being asphalt, well...you can imagine..my feet were on fire. Oh well, I'm not about to let that stop me. My hip was behaving quite nicely once I backed off so I continued on. The loop around Lake Merritt is not only nice, but it the last couple of miles so you know you're just about there.

Feeling good despite my "hot dawgs" I looped around Lake Merritt for the final few tenths of a mile up Lakeside. And wouldn't you know it...

I turn back onto 19th with the finish line not but 1/10 mile up ahead and what happens? My damn legs began cramping up!!!! WTF???

Anyway, with the damn finish line right up there I "WILLED" my legs to keep moving and crossed. Immediately thereafter, the cramping subsided and I felt just fine so it was weird, but I'm still feeling good a few days afterward and ready to tackle my next HM in Elk Grove on the 7th. Smile

A couple of shots along the way....

Luke79

I like the trippy shirt.  Are you not wanting to share your time?

Better I Leave

Oops....Heh....2:21

Sorry 'bout that. Big grin

Misty

Great job! You got some really nice pics, too Smile

Misty

Bless your heart.

Better I Leave

Muchas gracias. I thought I had put my time in, but that was the previous thread where I just posted that I finished w/ a 2:21

One thing that was indeed disappointing about this event was when I went to redeem my 2 beer coupons, all they had was Coors Light...WTF??

They call that beer? Wink LOL!

Docket_Rocket

Congrats!  Nice pics.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Muchas gracias. I thought I had put my time in, but that was the previous thread where I just posted that I finished w/ a 2:21

One thing that was indeed disappointing about this event was when I went to redeem my 2 beer coupons, all they had was Coors Light...WTF??

They call that beer? Wink LOL!

Well done - very  impressive after a month off!

They probably had Guinness for all the sub-2's; single-malt scotch for the sub 1:30's. Wink

Dave

Coastal

They probably had Guinness for all the sub-2's; single-malt scotch for the sub 1:30's. Wink

I want to volunteer to help run that race.  ^^^^

Congratulations.  Nice race report.

happylily

Great floating picture! The other two are very nice as well. :-)

Beer? mmmm.... Who cares what type it is. Beer snob. Big grin

It looked like a very hot day... Don't you wear sunglasses? I couldn't do without them in that sun... Sounds like you had a fantastic time and you were smart to not push to the point of pain. You did great, Dave. Congratulations!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Great pics Dave and great race having that much time off. So your hip doing alright?

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

Better I Leave

Great pics Dave and great race having that much time off. So your hip doing alright?

It is and thank you. Truth be told, this was my "slowest" HM to date...but I kinda resigned myself to that before I began the run. I'm good and looking forward to Elk Grove.

Better I Leave

Beer? mmmm.... Who cares what type it is. Beer snob. Big grin

It looked like a very hot day... Don't you wear sunglasses? I couldn't do without them in that sun... Sounds like you had a fantastic time and you were smart to not push to the point of pain. You did great, Dave. Congratulations!

Having been a Homebrewer Lily...yes...I'm a beer snob. **grin**

I can't bring myself to wear sunglasses when I run and it was warmer than any of the HMs I've run to date. I finished, I finished with no pain, I finished with no pain after no running for quite some time....Thanks Lily. Smile

Better I Leave

Guess it's a good thing I don't like Guiness and I never touch hard liquor then, eh? Big grin

Better I Leave

Thanks again Lily...Marathonphoto actually caught me in 3 pics "floating". One has me crossing the finish line. Call me lucky, but this is the 2nd "crossing" where I'm levitating (yes, the full res pic shows my toe about 1/4-1/2 inch off the pad)! Big grin

MrNamtor

Hell of a run Dave! You represented well my friend.