Beginners and Beyond

Help me with a strategy for my marathon (Read 63 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Haven't run a marathon, so I can only provide moral support.  

LRB

I disagree, as you know. The key is to adjust for weather so that it does not happen.  Most people push the pace no matter what and that (going too fast) is what causes cramping, not the heat.

Yeah I was not posting that for debate but more of personal experience where dealing with sudden heat spikes such as the one that occurred in the Midwest the first weekend in May 2012.  Temps that Saturday morning shot up 30 degrees in a 2 hour span (which was unprecedented) and those already out running had no way of knowing what was happening.

I brought it up because I thought that is what happened at her marathon, not a case where the starting temps were already 88 degrees and a pace adjustment should have been made from the start. 

In any event it was and remains the worst running experience I have ever had and I thus would never knowingly run long in temps such as those with no amount of pace adjustment, or no amount of money for that matter.

As far as what caused her cramps, I was in the minority so you are likely right.  My only point to that was when you are talking 88 flippin' degrees, throw the whole stupid thing out of the window.

Docket_Rocket

Yeah I was not posting that for debate but more of personal experience where dealing with sudden heat spikes such as the one that occurred in the Midwest the first weekend in May 2012.  Temps that Saturday morning shot up 30 degrees in a 2 hour span (which was unprecedented) and those already out running had no way of knowing what was happening.

I brought it up because I thought that is what happened at her marathon, not a case where the starting temps were already 88 degrees and a pace adjustment should have been made from the start. 

In any event it was and remains the worst running experience I have ever had and I thus would never knowingly run long in temps such as those with no amount of pace adjustment, or no amount of money for that matter.

As far as what caused her cramps, I was in the minority so you are likely right.  My only point to that was when you are talking 88 flippin' degrees, throw the whole stupid thing out of the window.

Ha. I would never run if that was my rule.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LRB

The fact that I have a choice is the driving force behind that sentiment.  That probably would not be the case if I lived or ran in hell Miami.

Brilliant

I'd never run if I lived in Miami.  2 years ago my hubby needed to take a business trip out to West Palm Beach, so we combined it with the Rock n Roll Latin Music Half Marathon in Miami.  I was blown away by the sun and humidity - I thought Miami would be cool in November,  hahaha.  I think it was my worst half marathon time.  (the course wasn't great, either - one lane on the causeway coned off for us as cars zipped by)

Brilliant

A lot of runners train on 16 weeks (ducks for 1 poster) so it can be done. I would suggest forget what your base should have been, and move on. You don't want a defeatist attitude at this stage.

Haven't run a marathon, so I can only provide moral support.  

Brilliant, I think your consistency will help you now. Just pick a plan that is consistent with your current base and go from there.

Thanks for the encouragement, all.  I really am feeling optimistic now!

Ah yes, that's right.  I was never totally sold on that consensus, especially with the temps near 90 degrees. There are not many people who could have run through that crap uninhibited.

And you are my new best friend, haha.

Docket_Rocket

I ran that one!  For us, it wad a cool day, ha.

Our courses are usually like that. Boo.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page