Beginners and Beyond

Race Report w/Photos: Texas Rocks and Shines 5K (Read 38 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

This was my 57th race of 2013.   Texas Rocks and Shines 5K and 10K was put on by Purnell Racing - <cite>www.purnellracing.com</cite> - owned by John Purnell who, like me, is retired military and also like me is an Old Dog but a Good Dog too. Big grin. This event was part of Purnell Racing's "Best of Texas Race Series" in which participants do a series of races over the year and accumulate points for finish time, how many races participated in, and so forth, with Series awards given out at the end of the year.  Each race supports a non-profit and this one supported the San Antonio chapter of Young Marines - http://www.youngmarines.com/ - a youth education and service program for boys and girls, ages 8 through completion of high school. Their mentors are often active duty, reserve, guard and retired US Marines.  This was a small event, about 100 or so folks.  The 5K folks wearing red number bibs did one loop on the course.  The 10K folks with black number bibs did 2 loops. Even with my photo stops, I ended up doing fairly well today, finishing in 32:26 by my chrono and 32:49 by the clock, since I always start at the back of the pack and it takes me a while to get to the actual start mat.

LONG VERSION REPORT WITH PHOTOS

Before The Race

The race venue was the Bluebonnet Palace, a popular saloon and dance/music hall in Selma, Texas, a small city right within the boundaries of San Antonio.

The weather was pretty darn cold for we South Texans.  When I left my house at 6:45 a.m. it was 59 degrees.   By the time I got to the Bluebonnet, the temperature had actually dropped to 56 degrees and the wind was blowing about 20 mph or so.  I had initially put on my singlet to run in, but thankfully I keep more shirts in my car, so I put another shirt on over my singlet and ran in both of those and felt quite comfortable.  The Bluebonnet, great sponsors that they are, had their doors open and we participants could go inside and keep a little warm before start time, and also use the restroom facilities.

The race shirt all participants got:

I asked John if there was a Longhorn on the race shirt because the Mentors for this program "steered" the young folks in the right direction for productive lives Joking which got a groan and a laugh from him.  Actually, someone else told me that was the "Bluebonnet Steer."  I found out that on the property behind the Bluebonnet Palace is where this steer calls home.  Plus in Texas, the Longhorn is a symbol of strength, so appropriate for use as a symbol for a Young Marines event. Big grin

Once inside the Bluebonnet, I took some photos of their unique decor.

American and Texas flags over the stage area

This guy should've got a drink from the bar!

Entertainers who performed here sign a music instrument and it is hung on the wall

I got some photos pre-start of volunteers, participants, and supporters who were inside at that time

The Young Marines Color Guard and then me with them.  I have a soft spot for the Marines and Army.  When I served in Somalia during the time of "Blackhawk Down" (1993), there was a Marine contingent there and also 10th Mountain Division guys from the US Army.  They jokingly told me and my boss - a Navy Lt. Commander - that because we were Air Force and Navy ADMIN guys we were 'non-combatants", lol.  So the Marines and the 10th Mountain folks were our 'shooters", accompanying us when we had to make an inspection tour.  My soft spot for them is because those folks were VERY good at what they were trained to do and got my 'non-combatant" Air Force self out of a couple of hairy situations.  Thanks!

Registration Ladies

These two folks are involved with the Young Marines program.  I had a nice chat with them, two very nice people.

5K participant and mother of one of the Young Marines.  Mother?  She looks young enough to be a Big Sister... Big grin

Our traffic control officer.  He does several of the Purnell races, I have met him before at some of these.  Very nice guy.

Outside now...almost start time...

That 'mother' of one of the Young Marines that was inside, here now with her younger 'sister'...both of them were doing the 5K.   The two "sisters" did great, each finishing in the 20s and got medals in their age groups.

Some lovely ladies and a young man.  That pasture/ranch behind them is where the Bluebonnet Steer on the race shirt lives.

yeah...Hook 'Em Horns!  Way to beat Oklahoma last week!  Big grin

Young Marines Color Guard getting ready to post the colors

Old Glory waving in the wind as the National Anthem was sung...seeing this brings back a flood of memories...it's a lot more than "a piece of cloth"  to a lot of us, especially those who did serve and are serving...

On The Course

After a young lady did a beautiful job of singing the National Anthem - and unaccompanied by music too - we all lined up and there was a verbal countdown..and we were off!  The 10K folks had to do 2 loops and with the way the wind was blowing, I kinda felt sorry for them, cuz that wind was really blowing in some places.   The course was not what you would call 'scenic' - just out from the Bluebonnet and around a warehouse complex area and back to the Bluebonnet - but even so it was a nice course, very accommodating for runners, with wide roads, very little traffic, and a couple of short inclines but no major hills or anything.  I've done several events here in the past so was familiar with the course.  Several of the Young Marines were on the course as Marshals and at the water stops.

My first walk break was at the water stop conveniently located  right an an intersection for runners going out and runners heading back.

One of the course marshals

Course marshals a little ways past the halfway point.

After that my watch beeped to run again and I was off!  My watch beeped one more time 8 minutes later to walk again, but I was in my groove and feeling good so I just kept on going.  I ended up running the last 1.2 miles nonstop and finished in 32:26 chip time.

After I finished I got a photo of this guy coming in - the 10K winner.  He made me feel old-and-slow, lol...his 10K time was about my 5K time!

The 1st and 2nd place guys for the 10K.  As you can see from the clock, the 2nd place guy was not that far behind the first guy.

After The Race

Post-race goodies?  Sausage tacos, provided by our Grill-Master here...and Shiner Beer...oh yeah!

This is Alan..and like me he is a retired Vet too...as a working military dog he saw duty in Iraq.  He was at the water stop for us during the race, and I stopped there to give him a treat.

A couple of our race sponsors with their energy drinks

I ran a bit on the course with this lady.  One of the nicest people you would ever want to meet.  Had a nice chat with her, as she waited for her husband to finish his 10K

More "Happy Finishers" and supporters

My fellow "Old Dog" , John Purnell of Purnell Racing

EPILOG

This certainly was not the biggest event of the day - there were 4 other local events on Oct 19, so lots of choices for participants - but it certainly was enjoyable.  Nice course, nice folks participating, good cause, nice post-race goodies.  And one especially nice thing:  I did not get a medal but  because I do so many races and reports during the year the guy doing the awards ceremony knows that any medal I happen to get I give to the cancer kids at the local children's hospital.  So he gave me a medal to pass on to them. I thought that was really nice.  I do several of the Purnell Racing races each year and always enjoy them and John and "his people" Joking have always been very good to me through the years.   I look forward to continue participating in their future events.

Next up for me:  THREE events next weekend:  "Trick or Treat Trot" on Walker Ranch Saturday morning, Boxier Boogie 5K on Sunday morning in McAllister Park, and Carrera Races Trick or Treat 5K at O.P Schnabel Park at 6 PM on Sunday evening.  This will bring me to a total of 60 races for the year.  I will probably need a loooong nap after that! Wink

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Pinktastic

Congrats, Scotty!!  As always, Ithoroughly enjoyed your report!  Thanks for sharing!  Good luck with all three of your events next weekend!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Two thumbs up for the Bluebonnet opening their facility for pre-race warmth and comfort.  Very cool race shirt with the steer.  Congrats on the 57th race for this year.  What's your target # for number of races for 2013?  Thanks for RR.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Antipodean

Such a cool morning for you. The weather looked glorious, actually. Always a pleasure to read, Scotty!

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

TJoseph

Thanks. Your reports are always fun to read.

Ric-G

nice pics as always scotty...the military canine was cool too...always a fun read.

marathon pr - 3:16

GinnyinPA

So strange to see all the long sleeves and jackets on one of your races.  It must have felt really good to race in.  Nice RR.  Thanks for sharing.

SheCan

Congratulations on race 57 of the year, Scotty!   Awesome teeshirts for this race.  Okay, time to save up some energy for next weekend!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

B-Plus

You always have the best reports. This one has some very interesting pictures. Congrats on #57.

Great job again, Scotty.

Those shirts are neat, unique in a sea of boring race tees.

Almost as cool as the hoodies the Monster guys have.  Smile