Beginners and Beyond

Half Marathon training plans- bumping it up a bit? (Read 107 times)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Dear Ms. Patellar Placater....

You can pick a plan.  I probably went a little agressive but if you want to search my old thread, the plan called for long cruise (speed, actually) intervals.  All I know is I went from doing 2 different 52 minutes 10k's down to 48:57 in my best to date.  However, to put it in a nutshell, I believe it was the result of 2 things exclusively.....

#1.)  increased mileage

#2)  speed work

That's it.  I did very little in either category before but the results were huge.

Then again, I also paid for it as a fellow patellar placater.  Which leads me to my largest piece of advice.....BE NICE TO THOSE KNEES!!!!!!!! 

Randy

Zelanie

Which leads me to my largest piece of advice.....BE NICE TO THOSE KNEES!!!!!!!! 

Thanks for reminding me.  The other thing I plan to do is to put my exercises into m calendar along with my runs to make sure I stay consistent. Smile

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Can't give you any advice, but you will do great .Good luck with your plan and stay healthy.

Hip Redux

Thanks for reminding me.  The other thing I plan to do is to put my exercises into m calendar along with my runs to make sure I stay consistent. Smile

I did this, and I also made a category "PT" for my log on RA, so I can log it too - that's also helped keep it front and center in my mind.

Zelanie

OK, now that I am home, I was able to copy last year's plan to this year, and I've updated the first 3 weeks so far (this was week 1).  Basically, I added 2 miles to the LR, 3 miles to the MLR, and then 3 more miles to the overall weekly total, but I kept the intervals the same.  It feels like that's the level that will give the workouts their intended effect.

I don't plan on staying that far ahead of the plan the whole way, I'll probably let it catch up with me gradually as I go.  But for now, week 1 is in the books!

LRB

I don't plan on staying that far ahead of the plan the whole way, I'll probably let it catch up with me gradually as I go.  But for now, week 1 is in the books!

Excellent!

I am working on a half marathon plan myself, it is serious business devising with that thing!

I am working on a half marathon plan myself, it is serious business devising with that thing!

Do you have a race picked out? (Or are you going stealth?)

Dave

LRB

Do you have a race picked out? (Or are you going stealth?)

You know me; yes and yes.