Beginners and Beyond

Bag Drop (Read 129 times)

hog4life

What types of things do you leave in your bag? This will be my first time to use the service and was wondering what type of personal items it is safe to leave. phone? ID? cash? clothes? keys? Hopefully I can park somewhat close, but......

Thanks,

Mitch

Antipodean

For me personally, clothes & keys ok, but I wouldn't leave the other things. I may be a little paranoid, though.

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

flarunner

I leave:

Clothes; warm up suit, dry shirt, dry socks and some comfy shoes.

Car keys.

Extra plastic bag for wet clothes.

A towel for wet me.

If I take a phone I leave that locked up in the car and use the going back to the car for said phone as a cool down.

Docket_Rocket

I only leave my cell and a shirt or jacket.  And the car keys.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Mostly harmless

I usually leave my cell phone, a dry shirt and a little bit of cash ($10-$20) just in case.  No problems so far but I don't race a lot.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Shakedown Street

My 15K this weekend was my first use of the bag drop. I left my glasses in a case, a sweatshirt, and a 750 of chimay blue because there was no post race free beer. Worth it.

Started-5/12, RWOL refugee,5k-24:23 (1/12/13),10K-55:37(9/15/12),HM-1:52:59(3/24/13)

hog4life

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the tips.

Love the Half

I wouldn't leave my phone in a drop bag unless I absolutely had to do so simply because the bag may get tossed around.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

I'm very trusting - I've left anything and everything in my bag.  I often run in DC, where there is no parking nearby, so if there are plans for after the race, I need a wallet to pay for them as well as a metrocard to get where I'm going and a phone to coordinate plans.  I've always had protective cases for my phones, though, otherwise the tossed-around would be a concern.  The only thing I ever had stolen was actually the give-away from the race itself-a pair of cheap flip-flops. I consider that a pretty good record.  For shorter races, I may try to pare down to the essentials (phone, housekey, metrocard, cash) and just run with it, but I don't want to carry even that much for more than a 10K.

delicate flower

Last marathon I left my phone, ID, credit card, some cash, keys, track pants, sweatshirt.  My running club had a booth in the athlete village and I left it with them.  Saved me a major bag drop headache.  And they had pie after.

<3

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I leave everything in the bag... Wallet, phone, etc. I've never had any issues. And they really wouldn't get that far with my bank card anyway. Smile

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Docket_Rocket

That's why I wrap the shirt or jacket around it.  I always bring an extra shirt.  Mainly because it's always hot and humid and I want to wear something dry before I get in the car.

I wouldn't leave my phone in a drop bag unless I absolutely had to do so simply because the bag may get tossed around.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page