Beginners and Beyond

Running with a Kindle/Strange thing you see people run with (Read 125 times)

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

On Sunday taking my DS to a friends house early afternoon, I am approaching a signalized intersection.  Now I usually do not pay attention to the roads when I drive, I like to look around at things and people.  Mind you I am in an nice suburban area with mostly flat roads and shoulders, both concrete and paved walkways (and no, I am not a danger driving, lol).

Well in front of me on the opposite side is a runner and I remark to DS "boy he looks funny running; kinda upright or stiff don't you think".

We get up next to him and I look to my left and now understand why his posture is wierd --  He is running with a Kindle in his right hand, reading it while he is jogging.   No kidding, left hand was swinging, right hand holding the Kindle at shoulder level and he was just mushing along.  I was so caught off guard that I didn't get a picture, but boy, thats a new one for me.

Tell if you have seen other strange things people do when they run

Walk-Jogger

That reminds me of that annoying jerk in the "5 Hour Energy" commercial who runs 10 miles while knitting himself a sweater.

Retired &  Loving It

I wish I had something good to add to this thread, but I never see anything unusual. Unless you want to count camelbaks (or hydration belts) at a 5k. But alas, that happens far too often.

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

On Sunday taking my DS to a friends house early afternoon, I am approaching a signalized intersection.  Now I usually do not pay attention to the roads when I drive, I like to look around at things and people.  Mind you I am in an nice suburban area with mostly flat roads and shoulders, both concrete and paved walkways (and no, I am not a danger driving, lol).

Well in front of me on the opposite side is a runner and I remark to DS "boy he looks funny running; kinda upright or stiff don't you think".

We get up next to him and I look to my left and now understand why his posture is wierd --  He is running with a Kindle in his right hand, reading it while he is jogging.   No kidding, left hand was swinging, right hand holding the Kindle at shoulder level and he was just mushing along.  I was so caught off guard that I didn't get a picture, but boy, thats a new one for me.

Tell if you have seen other strange things people do when they run

i saw a kid at a track meet using an IPad as a music player while warming up. I thought he was strange.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

andee1296

"Umbrella man" - weird older gentleman living out of his car (judging by all the crap in there). Used to show up at the local high school track on a regular basis, always carrying an umbrella (different ones), weather notwithstanding. First time I saw him, he was running with it open even though the weather was clear. Eventually he wouldn't carry it but would leave it on the turf. I think it was his idea of a defensive weapon to have handy. Oh, he also ran in pants like Dockers with a button down shirt and a leather driving cap. He did wear running shoes at least. Haven't seen him in years, guess he moved on.

Little Blue

I think if I tried to run and read a Kindle, I'd be dizzy and/or puke.  And on a sidewalk?  Near traffic??  We see a woman at our park occasionally, she always walks on the trail with a book.  I'd end up in the lake. Big grin

I can't think of anything too off the wall that I've seen.

chandakitty

"Umbrella man" - weird older gentleman living out of his car (judging by all the crap in there). Used to show up at the local high school track on a regular basis, always carrying an umbrella (different ones), weather notwithstanding. First time I saw him, he was running with it open even though the weather was clear. Eventually he wouldn't carry it but would leave it on the turf. I think it was his idea of a defensive weapon to have handy. Oh, he also ran in pants like Dockers with a button down shirt and a leather driving cap. He did wear running shoes at least. Haven't seen him in years, guess he moved on.

Was this in Kansas, by any chance?  I knew of a similar gentleman!

MrNamtor

Not carrying strange things but strange:

Guy at Oak Street Beach in Chicago - Old guy, like 60+, very very slender with wrinkly skin, wears just a speedo and is tanned chestnut brown. Does strange aerobic type moves while running.

Woman in the same park who wears hospital scrubs, like she's a doctor or nurse and just goes out running in her scrubs.

Older man who runs backwards, not just for a few feet or yards but a significant distance.

Woman who has a full fuel belt with like 5 water bottles and all this other stuff.  I don't know how far she runs but I'm guessing it's not really far by the look of her (ok, i could be making an ass of myself here because  maybe she's an ultra runner and is running 30 mile training runs, but somehow i doubt it).

Not putting these folks down, just saying it's unusual.

Dr. Cornsitter

Get that man some headphones, an iPod, and download some books on tape.

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

andee1296

Was this in Kansas, by any chance?  I knew of a similar gentleman!

California. When I first saw him, his car had Arizona license plates though, maybe he moves around a lot.

Hip Redux

There was a lady who used to run the Ohlone trail in Berkeley who would stop, have some sort of screaming fit, and then continue on as if nothing happened.   If someone was nearby, they would get freaked out completely because it was so totally random.   And she would mutter to herself too.

She was clearly mentally unstable, but the weird thing was she was so committed to running.  Every day she was out there.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

A cat. Chick had her dog on a leash running with her (normal) but was also carrying her cat. Guess she didnt want the cat to feel left out???? The cat looked SUPER unhappy about it too.

In the vein of wearing odd things, I was smoked on the jogging path the other day by a guy wearing jeans and sandals. I'm doing it wrong.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Hip Redux

A cat. Chick had her dog on a leash running with her (normal) but was also carrying her cat. Guess she didnt want the cat to feel left out???? The cat looked SUPER unhappy about it too.

In the vein of wearing odd things, I was smoked on the jogging path the other day by a guy wearing jeans and sandals. I'm doing it wrong.

Oh, there was a guy who used to take his bunny for a walk on a leash (again, in California lol).   My dogs LOVED that one!

MrNamtor

There was a lady who used to run the Ohlone trail in Berkeley who would stop, have some sort of screaming fit, and then continue on as if nothing happened.   If someone was nearby, they would get freaked out completely because it was so totally random.   And she would mutter to herself too.

She was clearly mentally unstable, but the weird thing was she was so committed to running.  Every day she was out there.

Maybe she had Tourette's