Beginners and Beyond

Third 5K of 3 for the weekend: Wounded Warrior Project Wine and Dine 5K (Read 25 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

This was my 72nd race of 2013, held on December 8, 2013, and my 3rd 5K of the Dec 7th and 8th weekend. My first 5K  of the weekend was on Saturday morning at 9 a.m - http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/bcb1370181c0422390f817a37658887e/resume#focus - and my second 5K of the weekend was on Saturday at 5 p.m. -http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/0c2db2ea2f9b44a0a578be6cdc914384/resume#focus - and both were pretty cold for we South Texans, 29 degrees (feels like 19) at start time of the first one and 36 degrees (feels like 28) for the second one....BRRR!

My 3rd 5K of the weekend supported The Wounded Warrior Project - http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/ - and all entry fees and donations go directly to the organization.  The event was put on by Carrera Races, a premier racing company in San Antonio, and the location of the event was Eilan -http://www.eilanapartments.com/ - in San Antonio; luxury hotel, premium apartments, dining, shoppes, businesses, etc. The weather was actually pretty kind to us for this 5K, warming up to near 50 degrees by start time.  Still chilly for we South Texans, but warmer than my other 2 events, so I actually wore shorts for this one.  Around 130 participants and 7 in my age group (male, 50 - 59) and somehow I managed to place 3rd with a gun time of 33:15 and chip time of 33 minutes flat.  And this one had hills too!  My old-dog legs did pretty good for having done 2 races already, lol.

LONG VERSION REPORT WITH PHOTOS

Before The Race

The love of my life and my heart and soul - my wife, Gail - accompanied me to this one.

We climbed the stairs at Eilan....

...and Gail went even farther up, onto a balcony on the next level...

...and we enjoyed the views Eilan had to offer from up here...

Then back down the main square of Eilan  where I got a photo of Gail by one of the many decorated objects in the square.

Participants, supporters, etc., before the start

These lovely ladies are some of the Texas Cowgirls - http://www.mytexascowgirls.com/ - , a full contact football team of the SSFL (Sugar n Spice Football League -<cite>www.sugarnspicefootball.com</cite> -).  They helped out as race volunteers and course marshals and course cheerleaders. Guys, how can you help but not run faster when you come upon these ladies on the course cheering you on?   And since the course was 2 loops I got to see them each twice.  Big grin

photo wounded012_zps8b40ef63.jpg

They kindly let me have a photo with them, and even cheered me on by name on the course.  Nice.

photo wounded021_zps9e705963.jpg

photo wounded011_zps0a7fff0b.jpg

Race Director Virginia (right), one of the nicest people you could ever meet

photo wounded013_zpsefc20a74.jpg

photo wounded014_zpsfa75ee87.jpg

photo wounded015_zps4ebab991.jpg

photo wounded016_zps209da22b.jpg

These guys are wearing the tech tee participants got in the goody bag

photo wounded017_zps311cd7df.jpg

photo wounded018_zpscd0c229c.jpg

photo wounded019_zpse2a62c1c.jpg

photo wounded020_zpsca3e3a7b.jpg

photo wounded022_zps0576e60e.jpg

photo wounded023_zps7ab34c4f.jpg

photo wounded024_zps7be8b1c9.jpg

photo wounded025_zps5ba84aa1.jpg

photo wounded026_zps6d9ed85e.jpg

photo wounded027_zps21dfe359.jpg

photo wounded028_zpsfb356f80.jpg

photo wounded029_zpsca332f0e.jpg

photo wounded030_zps7e94a4e6.jpg

photo wounded031_zps3e580bf4.jpg

photo wounded032_zps0f2a42ca.jpg

photo wounded033_zps77e8e70e.jpg

photo wounded009_zps6e17d35d.jpg

On The Course

The course was 2 loops around the Eilan complex.  There were not what I would call any major hills, but the course was hilly in some spots and there was a long downhill before we got to the halfway point and then the finish on the second loop.  I think that downhill was the hardest part for me because with my spinal arthritis, downhills really pound my back.  I much prefer uphills.

photo wounded034_zps1cf641d5.jpg

photo wounded035_zpsff4ca734.jpg

uh oh...looks like someone is getting scolded... Wink

photo wounded036_zpsd6f2e6ba.jpg

photo wounded037_zpse903748f.jpg

photo wounded038_zps536b8b6a.jpg

photo wounded040_zps0d023483.jpg

photo wounded041_zps03cfce92.jpg

photo wounded042_zpsfbbcdf38.jpg

photo wounded043_zpsd8696c9e.jpg

photo wounded044_zps7c2e44c7.jpg

photo wounded045_zps7c924760.jpg

After The Race

OK, the reason this is called the Wine and Dine 5K....because after you run, you get to enjoy all these goodies!

photo wounded057_zps69656f9e.jpg

photo wounded058_zpsc0827852.jpg

Some type of meatballs dish and also a rigatoni-type entree

photo wounded059_zps42a658e7.jpg

I found the important server to me...the beer guy!

photo wounded053_zps1c89531a.jpg

Oh yeah!

photo wounded052_zps1e05b1e2.jpg

These lovely ladies were enjoying some of the wines available

photo wounded056_zps91c6497f.jpg

There was also cookies and pastries and this really good baked pumpkin bread/cake...I scarfed down a few pieces of that!

photo wounded065_zpsed7e2e75.jpg

And smoothies...

photo wounded066_zps42af1037.jpg

The My Fit Foods lovely lady

photo wounded070_zps06fb13c7.jpg

There was also an oxygen bar, a table full of fresh fruits, and lots more.  Paaarty!  Big grin

Happy Finishers, supporters, etc.

photo wounded046_zps6a04d2e6.jpg

photo wounded047_zps355fe1c6.jpg

photo wounded048_zps73bd9163.jpg

photo wounded049_zps2522d423.jpg

photo wounded050_zps11dad242.jpg

photo wounded051_zps03e71f91.jpg

photo wounded054_zpsa33be3e8.jpg

photo wounded055_zps807ed826.jpg

photo wounded060_zpsae494f0c.jpg

photo wounded061_zps114ef8f1.jpg

photo wounded062_zps38283348.jpg

photo wounded063_zps2bcbf380.jpg

photo wounded064_zps5e17a76d.jpg

photo wounded067_zps62fbbc52.jpg

photo wounded069_zpsbd7ab279.jpg

photo wounded071_zpsc28ab37e.jpg

photo wounded072_zps69278cf8.jpg

Two of my very favorite ladies....my wife and my  pal (and running crush Joking) Bernadette.   Bernadette is speedy and was first overall female master's.

photo wounded068_zps1a0ed8cd.jpg

As Gail and I took our leave,  I took a photo of the decorative square.   You can't see it well here, but it was quite a bright and colorfully decorative display.

photo wounded073_zps47891a15.jpg

EPILOG

I really enjoyed this event and it  was also personal for me as I was a "wounded warrior" during my own career (hence my knee brace I have to wear when I run).  Lots of rehab, but I actually had it pretty easy, compared to some.  So I try to do as many of the local wounded warrior events as I can.  This was a really well organized and fun event.  Which is par for the course - no pun intended Joking - for Carrera Races, they always do a fantastic job with their events, and always have such nice post-race goodies! .  iaapweb.com - another of the premier local racing companies - did their usual great job with course set up, timing, awards, etc. Many thanks to Eilan for allowing the use of their venue, and thanks to the patience of the Eilan residents and hotel guests, as we took up their roads for about an hour or so.  This race is a keeper each year!

So, 72 races done for the year, three 5Ks done for the weekend, and I even got 2 medals for the last 2 5Ks...

photo wounded001_zps0132279f.jpg

photo wounded002_zpsc2d96ec7.jpg

...which the  cancer kids at the local hospital will now get, as that's where my medals go on the rare occasions when my slow old self gets a medal.

Next up for me:  Dec 14 Jingle Bell 5K at Gruene Hall in New Braunfels, Texas, supporting St. Jude's Ranch for Children.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

LRB

That is a very nice looking cityscape, and a bunch of overdressed people.  ;-)  Bless their hearts!

on my way to badass

Wonderful RR as always.

Gail is just beautiful!

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

GinnyinPA

Looks like a fun event.  Oxygen bar?  I've never run into that.  Hope the beer was good.

Zelanie

I can see why it was hard to narrow it down to just one (or two!) events for the weekend!  Congrats on the AG award, and this one looks like a great time and for a really good cause.

SheCan

What a fantastic racing weekend you had!  This one looks more like a holiday party its so classy.  San Antonio certainly has some pretty areas.  Glad you had a good time, and hope you didn't gain too much weight at this one.  Congratulations on race 73!!!

Ohhhhh, I forgot to mention that I LOVE the picture of you and Gail!  I still say you snagged a hottie!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Docket_Rocket

Great report, Scotty.  Awesome weekend for you!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

What a fantastic racing weekend you had!  This one looks more like a holiday party its so classy.  San Antonio certainly has some pretty areas.  Glad you had a good time, and hope you didn't gain too much weight at this one.  Congratulations on race 73!!!

Ohhhhh, I forgot to mention that I LOVE the picture of you and Gail!  I still say you snagged a hottie!

Yes, I definitely married UP!  I think I got the better of the deal.  Poor Gail.  Joking

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Looks like a fun event.  Oxygen bar?  I've never run into that.  Hope the beer was good.

Yeah, people were using it too.  Although...unless you're one of the speedy front-runners - or maybe have asthma -  I don't know why you would need oxygen after a 5K, lol.

I'm assuming the woman with the crutches didn't get injured during the race.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I'm assuming the woman with the crutches didn't get injured during the race.

No...she fell down those stairs.... 

Naww....she had foot surgery so is benched for a while....

Pinktastic

Great race, Scotty!  Looks like a beautiful course!  And, those post-race snacks are awesome!  Congrats!

Gail is as lovely as you always describe her - I really love y'all's picture!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Just B.S.

Scotty you are my hero. And you have  a hot wife.

Congrats on another fantastic year of running!