Beginners and Beyond

First Volunteer 5K run for CIS - race report (Read 44 times)

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

OK, so maybe I'm crazy for doing a 5K a week after a strong 15K. Or maybe I was already crazy and this is what one would expect from me.

Anyway, I did run The 14th annual First Volunteer 5K for CIS in Ringgold, Georgia today.

Short version - PR'ed with a 25:25 net time, beating my previous PR of 25:53 set way back in November. I wasn't sure how it would work out, but I set my goal on running around 8:10 to 8:15 miles. A little slower than my present VDOT puts me, but I'm probably still recovering a bit from last weekend's 15K. I managed to get third place in my AG, and the two faster runners were less than a minute ahead of me.  Gives me something to strive for next year (although that 45-49 age group is a fast one)!

Anyway, here's the play-by-play.

Mile 1 - 8:09. I came out of the chute at around 7:40 or so, enjoying a bit of mild downhill slope (and perhaps a bit of adrenalin too). I knew I couldn't sustain that pace so as soon as the course flattened out, I backed off my speed a bit, trying to keep a constant, strong effort.

Mile 2 - 8:32.  I was a bit slow this mile, though there was a slight incline during the first half of this mile. I was starting to feel like I was really struggling, but I also knew that I was passing through the halfway point and would only be suffering for 10-15 minutes longer. Probably the wrong way to look at it, but I was thinking about how nice it would be to just start walking at this point. This feeling was strongest as I crested the slight hill.

Mile 3 - 8:09. I was struggling, but I was back on pace for the third mile, helped a bit by the gentle decline towards the end of the mile. I reeled in a couple more runners including a guy that I had been trailing for a good portion of the race. I think that passing others was my strongest motivation at this point.

Last 0.1 - 7:32 pace. My attempt at a "kick" was hampered by the fact that I'd laid it all out on the rest of the race. That and there was a slight incline to the finish line. I still managed to get a little pickup in speed, and expand my lead over the guy that I had passed a couple of tenths of a mile earlier. I spoke with him later - he gave it all he had also, but just couldn't hold me off. Competition helps us all!

Overall, a good race for me, coming on the heels of the 15K last week. I'm enjoying a bit more speed than I thought  I had this spring, which is a good thing. Now that the weather's breaking, I think I can get my training a little more in tune with my goals.

Sorry, no pictures this time.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

Rondog65

Great job on your new PR, enjoyed the RR.

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I totally forgot that you raced last week too, you beast!  Congrats on the AG award too, that's fun.  Keep improving like you are and you may well be looking at those top spots.  Looks like you were smart to back off where you did in the first mile.  Isn't it great to have all our voices in your head? ha.  Great job fighting the urges to pull your pace pack or even walk.  Isn't it funny how you can actually speed up when you're feeling that way?  I'm really trying to teach myself to run faster as a way to push past pain - I think there's something to it.  As for the finishing kick, I'd totally rather not be able to "sprint" in because I gave it a full effort throughout the race.

Well done!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

happylily

It must feel so satisfying to PR today after your great race last week. It's a very good indicator of your ongoing improvement. Keep up the great running, Tom! Congratulations!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Hip Redux

Nice work, speedy!!

Zelanie

Nice job, especially after your race last week!  Your splits are so similar to what happened to me for my 5K last month.  I know that second mile is going to take a long time to master.

MrNamtor

wickedly above average, I'd say.

Docket_Rocket

Great job!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Supersono99

Great race, Tom, especially after racing hard last week.

LRB

You are a PR machine!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats on the new PR, Tom, way to go!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

B-Plus

Congrats Tom. What race are you doing next weekend?

hog4life

Tom, that was outstanding that you PR'd so soon after the 15k. Congrats!