Beginners and Beyond

Whilst in Wednesdailies (Read 49 times)

LRB

It may have blown over and it's now much cooler up here on the hill, so maybe a bit more after dinner.

Something similar happened here earlier where one minute we were all dying from mugginess, to the next where it was literally a cool breeze blowing strong from the west.

6 minutes, LJ?  That new breathing technique ain't working doll baby lol!  j/k

So glad the weather saved you from yourself mascot.

Hip Redux

My lower back is still really tight.... not sure what to do about it. If I wake up tomorrow morning and it still hurts I'm thinking yoga tomorrow night after work (yoga seems to work wonders on my body, and often makes any kinds of aches, pains and tightness feel better) and if that doesn't work may be due for a deep tissue massage and I can try to book that Friday night (my second line of defense when yoga doesn't work....I try to get one of these every other month or so).

Try the cobra pose - lay on your stomach, and if you can, press up on your hands - if you can't press up comfortably, get up on your elbows and hang out there a bit.    It usually helps my low back stuff.   Ice can also help.

Zelanie

OOTB- Hilly hills in hot weather is an accomplishment. Smile

kristin- You might try a mile run tomorrow just to see if it feels better or worse when you run.  Sometimes stuff like that actually feels better for me when I'm running than when I'm not.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

OOTB- Hilly hills in hot weather is an accomplishment. Smile

kristin- You might try a mile run tomorrow just to see if it feels better or worse when you run.  Sometimes stuff like that actually feels better for me when I'm running than when I'm not.

I think I will try that.... I will go for my planned run (which is a fartlek) that starts off with running a slow mile....if I feel better I will do the run, if not I will bail and walk home. I have also had some wonky stuff that has gone away with a run!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Try the cobra pose - lay on your stomach, and if you can, press up on your hands - if you can't press up comfortably, get up on your elbows and hang out there a bit.    It usually helps my low back stuff.   Ice can also help.

ooo cobra...that's a good one, I was doing cat/cows this morning after I first realized it was bugging me...I will try cobra.

So, by the fact that you are posting, is it safe to assume you have not blown away in a tornado?

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Hip Redux

So, by the fact that you are posting, is it safe to assume you have not blown away in a tornado?

LOL No, but it was too damn close to home.   And like the third confirmed tornado touchdown in the last week.

The XC race went on regardless of tornado warning.  Hardy people, those trail runners!

Jess runs for bacon

My lower back is still really tight.... not sure what to do about it. If I wake up tomorrow morning and it still hurts I'm thinking yoga tomorrow night after work (yoga seems to work wonders on my body, and often makes any kinds of aches, pains and tightness feel better) and if that doesn't work may be due for a deep tissue massage and I can try to book that Friday night (my second line of defense when yoga doesn't work....I try to get one of these every other month or so).

Liliac- I have the calf cramping issue too. It used to be worse when I was a newer runner. Now it happens rarely, but when it does it is usually after I have had to cut back miles recently for whatever reason and start running regularly again (the issue came back both after my month off in January for ITBS and my very low mileage month in May) so I think it could be related to strength? Sometimes it also happens to me when I run faster than usual. I know you have had a major mileage cutback due to injury so maybe that is why?

I'd go for the massage first Smile

I've been increasing miles the past few weeks o I don't think that's it. Maybe dehydration? It's always the first mile though.

B-Plus

You're still rocking the shoutouts, Jay!

6 miles @ 9

Zelanie

Foolhardy people, those trail runners!

FYP!  Glad you're safe.

Will run for scenery.

0.00 miles at a most impressive 6:22 pace.

In other news, the bag of dark chocolate Raisinettes I bought for Saturday : Gandhi With the Windi.  Confused

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

LOL No, but it was too damn close to home.   And like the third confirmed tornado touchdown in the last week.

The XC race went on regardless of tornado warning.  Hardy people, those trail runners!

See below:

So we had crazy torrential rains, a tornado warning, and a flash flood warning all prior to the trail event tonight.  They pushed it back a half hour and we ran through ankle deep slop and mud, and generally had a blast doing it.  Considering I fell once on some slick grass and had to high step my way around, I was really happy that my time was only 37 seconds slower than last week.  I finished third and won a cool hat from the Hoka reps.  Afterwards, a few of us trotted around for an extra couple of miles, and then it was home for a much needed cleansing.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Hip Redux

Ha, SIAR!    I already thought you were nuts before but that solidifies it.  Big grin  Congrats on the swag.

We've had "almost lost my shoe" mud on parts of our course for most of the races, so I can only imagine what it was like tonight was like with the torrential rain/flooding/etc.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I brought a rain coat.  That was sensible Smile  I also purposely left it in the car ha.  We had stream crossings in points where there aren't streams - go figure.  I couldn't believe the Hoka rep let everyone wear the test shoes.  It seemed like they'd be too bulky in the wet, so I stayed with my Minimus since I can just check them in the washer (after rinsing off the mud, as you ladies have taught me).

That mud loves to eat shoes!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

No, no Jay. Six minutes slower than my PR. Holy crap I would be bouncing off the walls if I beat my PR by 6 minutes!

Doh. Sad

7 more easy miles in the dark.  An old 4x4 drove by slowly, and a few minutes later I spotted it creeping around in the fire station lot less than a half mile from home. (one of the only well-lit places on my route).  I must have given it a real stink eye, because a lady opened the window and called "I'm not following you, I'm looking for water".

"Oh.  Ok."   *boggle*  (Smart-ass Jay almost dropped "I have a pond full, so actually do follow me") but figured better to let it go.

Will run for scenery.

Did she have a forked stick ?  A little pendulum ?

Doh. Sad

7 more easy miles in the dark.  An old 4x4 drove by slowly, and a few minutes later I spotted it creeping around in the fire station lot less than a half mile from home. (one of the only well-lit places on my route).  I must have given it a real stink eye, because a lady opened the window and called "I'm not following you, I'm looking for water".

"Oh.  Ok."   *boggle*  (Smart-ass Jay almost dropped "I have a pond full, so actually do follow me") but figured better to let it go.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!