Beginners and Beyond

People amuse me. (Read 223 times)

There's one completely unqualified person who feels that it's OK to comment on how I take care of myself. I don't sleep enough. I exercise too much. I eat too much. I drink too much water. I shouldn't run because it'll wreck my knees. I shouldn't wear toe shoes because my body needs more support.

Who's not overweight? Who doesn't need surgery to repair or replace joints of ligaments? Whose cholesterol and blood sugar are in check? Whose arthritis is under control? Who hasn't had more than a cold or two that didn't even require antibiotics during the past year? Who hasn't had to take a sick day in more than eight months? I give you three guesses; the first two don't count.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Yeah.... A week or so ago I started a thread about how my coworker gave me unsolicited advice about how I keep running my uterus will fall out. And I've heard plenty about how I'm destroying my joints. Why are people so concerned? Everyone thinks its ok to get on me about running, but there's a coworker of mine who seriously orders fried chicken, wings, or a burger and fries EVERY DAY for lunch. Who is rather overweight. No one dare criticize HER lifestyle choices! Her arteries are going to explode.... But it's my uterus and knees that people at work are worried about. People should mind their own damn business.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

People still think that running will make a woman's uterus fall out? Please. A man's testicles are more likely to detach.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Yup. She gave me this whole spiel about running intensifying and quickening the effects of gravity. Gonna get saggy boobs too according to her!

People still think that running will make a woman's uterus fall out? Please. A man's testicles are more likely to detach.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Love the Half

I learned a long time ago that if I just say, "you're probably right", it ends the conversation quickly.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Just B.S.

I get the crap all the time from my fellow 50+ women friends/acquaintances. The ones who are very

overweight, with knees issues, high BP etc.

I'm 51 , 5'4" and weigh 121 lbs, perfect vitals and run marathons without an ache or pain. I love it when those

people give me health/exercise advice.Roll eyes

My favorite tactic is to say "could you repeat that please" and when they do say "that's what I thought you said"

and walk way.....people really don't know how to react to that one.....it's fun.

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

It is very annoying how there's a double standard--it's perfectly acceptable to say snarky things to healthy or thin people, but NOT OK to make comments along a similar vein to unhealthy or overweight people.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

It is very annoying how there's a double standard--it's perfectly acceptable to say snarky things to healthy or thin people, but NOT OK to make comments along a similar vein to unhealthy or overweight people.

I say we just let decorum go and let 'em have it haha.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

LRB

Please. A man's testicles are more likely to detach.

Hilarious!  Mine did detach during my first marathon lol!

+1 to LTH, which also works no matter what the subject is when dealing with negativity.

crazyrunninglady

Warrior Princess

You are a better person than me.  That stuff does not amuse me.  It pisses me off.

@runjerseygirl

This made me laugh out loud! Smile

Do you even run?

RSX

My ex works in a hospital. She always made sure to tell me whenever a doctor told her how bad running was for me. Meanwhile I was rarely sick, low pulse etc.

The only time anyone else would give me their opinion on running it would be when I happened to mention an injury. I don't ever do that now unless someone asks.

OUCH! That's it for me.......no more running. If I wouldve known that I never would've started? Lol.

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

Nevrgivup

My coworkers think I'm nuts for running after long 12 hour shifts where i'm on my feet the entire time. They are nurses and are mostly all overweight and eat like crap. Guess who looks better in a bikini? End of story. The ones that open their mouth are unhappy  with their situation and are envious of our dedication to health. My two cents.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

I did NOT laugh out loud at that one...I thought great, one more thing to worry about. That was the only area below the waist that did not suffer excruciating pain after my first marathon.

Dave