Beginners and Beyond

Paper or spreadsheet? (Read 110 times)

Chairman

I'm not even sure I remember how to write by hand too well anymore. I haven't done much more writing by hand than sign my name on a check in years.

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I put everything on my log here, and upload to Garmin Connect too.  I also fill all my completed workouts in on a calendar because I like seeing how it looks all filled up with runs.  I don't write my workouts down ahead of time though.  I just have my schedule printed out on paper and take the runs as a 7 day block...I don't do them in order but instead by how I feel each day and how much time I have.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Docket_Rocket

I use the one here and an Xcel spreadsheet.  I track everything on my spreadsheet and it's like penciling stuff in (you can edit), etc.  I am all paperless on every aspect I can, so keeping a paper log does not work for me.  I like the online log because I can do lots of reports I cannot easily do in paper or with the spreadsheet, while I love my spreadsheet because I can see it 24/7, ha.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

runmomto3boys

That makes sense, Hilary.  It sounds like a paper log works best for you, so that's great.

I have my planned workouts keyed into my RA log: click on Training Plans in my log and you can see what that looks like.  When I go to upload the run for the day, it automatically categorizes the run as whatever I had in the plan for that day (MLR, LR, tempo, etc.).  You can see your missed runs if you go to the CALENDAR view on your log as well.  I'm just mentioning these features in case you didn't know they existed, but it does sound like you are more of a paper log sort of girl!

runmomto3boys

Since I'm an engineer and new to running (less than a year) I'm completely electronic for my log. I started with Excel spreadsheets to keep track of runs (time + distance + shoes) but once I got my Garmin I started uploading to Garmin-Connect to be able to plot things out (I still upload to Garmin but rarely use it)

When the great spam-a-lot exodus of 2012 occurred I found this log and I have to say I'm only using RA right now for EVERYTHING. It makes keeping track of mileage on shoes & runs easy and if you dig around a bit you'll see that you can create your own training plan on a calendar here and even download the *.ICS file to import into Google or Outlook or whatever calendar you use most often. The other nice thing about this is that I can link it to my phone and basically access my log/schedule anywhere ... I don't have to rely on memory or paper copy.

You can also make copies of a training plan to re-use with a new starting date. For instance, I'm currently doing Pfitz 18/70 to get ready for a race at the end of April. I will most likely also use that same plan to prepare for my fall goal race and can just copy it with a new starting date to match that October race.

Eric has done a fabulous job of making this place fully customizable and if you're electronically inclined there's not much you can't do here.

I should have read the replies before I posted.  Bruce beat me to the punch.  I learned something too: I didn't realize you could copy a training plan.  So awesome because inputting it is kind of a pain!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I just started using the log here and I like it. I started a new plan last week and put the whole plan in here under "training plans" and I love it because it emails me my planned workouts for the next day each night and then what I had on the schedule for that day and asks if I completed it. Great for accountability! I also use GarminConnect. I got my Garmin for Christmas and before that I used Nike+ and kept all my data on that site. And then I had my training plan in a word document. I was following Hal Higdon's Novice 10K and just copied and pasted it into a word document and assigned dates to all the runs. I like the RA log a lot better though!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

BruceD555

I should have read the replies before I posted.  Bruce beat me to the punch.  I learned something too: I didn't realize you could copy a training plan.  So awesome because inputting it is kind of a pain!

One more thing Heidi, did you know you can just drag & drop workouts on the calendar when you created the plan? To copy one you hold down CTRL and just drag a workout from one day to another on the calendar. Then if you need to change distance you can do it by clicking once on the copy. (This works great for all those recovery runs in Pfitz's plans)

ETA ... at least I can post faster than you Big grin

Train smart ... race smarter.

Pinktastic

Hilary - thanks for posting this topic!!  I have learned so much about what this log and the training plan feature are capable of, and this is awesome!   If you hadn't posted, I'd be in the dark about some of the awesomeness here!!   I know you said that you prefer paper so it might not be so helpful for you, but I really think if paper keeps you on track and gets you out the door, then that's the way to go for you!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

I have been winging it for too long now, I need to get serious and write out a schedule.  In years past i would spreasheet it and then post it in our kitchen on the folding doors to our furnace and water heater.

But right now I am busy as hell and winging it seems to work.  I more or less have windows of time I can get my run in so I plan my distances to fit in that window.  Weekends I get to plan on distance rather than time available

Docket_Rocket

Your spreadsheet is the one I use now with some changes.

I have been winging it for too long now, I need to get serious and write out a schedule.  In years past i would spreasheet it and then post it in our kitchen on the folding doors to our furnace and water heater.

But right now I am busy as hell and winging it seems to work.  I more or less have windows of time I can get my run in so I plan my distances to fit in that window.  Weekends I get to plan on distance rather than time available

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

runmomto3boys

One more thing Heidi, did you know you can just drag & drop workouts on the calendar when you created the plan? To copy one you hold down CTRL and just drag a workout from one day to another on the calendar. Then if you need to change distance you can do it by clicking once on the copy. (This works great for all those recovery runs in Pfitz's plans)

ETA ... at least I can post faster than you Big grin

NO!  I had no idea you could do that!!!!  Thanks for the tip, Bruce.  The log here is amazing!