Beginners and Beyond

Tune up HM 6 weeks before a full. (Read 64 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

So, I found a HM that is 6 weeks before my first full marathon.  I've been reading some different opinions about tune up races, and thought I'd get your thoughts.

The first theory is that you race it hard.  You have plenty of time to recover, and it will give you a good gauge for calculating your goal pace at the marathon.

The second theory is to run it at your projected marathon pace as practice for the marathon.

My problem with the second theory is that I would be guessing my marathon pace.  Granted, it would be an educated guess based on how my training has gone and how much weight I've lost etc.  Still sounds like a sketchy strategy for a debut marathon.

My problem with the first theory is that I'm taking an educated guess at the HM pace, and in the middle of my training I can't guarantee that I'll run my best possible race.  Also, how much do I adjust my training.  I know Daniels recommends that you take it easy for 3 days after the race, and possibly sacrifice 1 quality workout.  Since he doesn't really mention tapering for a race when it's during training, does that mean you just run it on tired legs?  What would you guys do.  The way my training is going, I'm pretty sure that I could jog my way to a PR.  So, I'm not concerned with that at all.  My concern is running the best debut marathon that I can.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Bin Running

I wished to know too.. I have a 32K planned, also 6 weeks from a projected full..

I would run at my MP cos it is 32K instead of HM.. If it is HM, I would run hard and using it on Mcmillan to get a MP.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I would prefer to run it hard, but I'm willing to do whatever is in the best interest of my training.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

I would prefer to run it hard, but I'm willing to do whatever is in the best interest of my training.

I have no idea. Maybe venture out to some of the other RA forums.

I am the idiot who is planning on running (probably slowly) a HM a week before a full.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

LRB

There is a huge difference in knowing your marathon pace and having completed one or more marathons as opposed to the uncertainty that comes with the unknown.

Like you, I was faced with a similar situation for my first marathon and passed on the opportunity to race a half before it.  This year, for my third marathon however, I am going to race a half five weeks out and am racing it at half marathon pace.  I have a much better base though in which to do that than my first 26.2 mile event.

For my first, I did not feel that I needed a tuneup half marathon race to run at essentially marathon pace, but you might be in a different place than I was which is okay.

As far as racing while training with Daniels, speaking specifically for myself, I have raced every other week this year since March 30 and cannot say that one of them were done on "Tired legs".  If you are true to your training, paces and have a decent mileage base, tired legs on race day should be an oxymoron.

Any issues I have had on race day morning have been in my head or with conditions, not in my legs.

Your question has validity on many fronts though, good topic.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I'm definitely noticing that with higher mileage comes much quicker recovery time.  So, I'm sure that would help if I were to run it all out.  This would also be the first week of phase IV.  So, my legs should be operating like bionic legs by then...lol

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

If you want to run a strong first full, but don't have a specific time goal in mind, I'd say to race the HM.

Then you'll be able to think "Ok I know how fast I can currently do 13.1, slowing to pace X for twice that distance should be doable."

That, IMO is a stronger position to be in than "I did 13.1 at pace X, now I have maintain it for twice as far."

Docket_Rocket

Race it.  There is enough time to recover before the race.  That should give you a good idea on what your MP should be.

I would do a semi taper before the HM.  Alter that week and maybe lower the miles and the intensity of the speedwork for that week.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

I did a 10 mile race 4 weeks before my half, and in asking about it here and out in the GSP (is that what we're supposed to call the main forums?) the advice I got was to run it hard, and I'm glad I did.  I ran it the week following my highest mileage week ever, and didn't lower my miles for that week either.  I *did* call it my LR and my tempo run for the week, and moved a few miles to earlier in the week so that I could take an easier two days leading up to it.

The race went well, and I came out of the race feeling great, so I didn't take any additional recovery the following week.  If I had it to do over again, that is what I'd change.  My plan only called for a 10 *K*, not a 10 *mile*, and I needed more recovery, I think, to account for the greater effort on race day.

But 6 weeks out sounds pretty good.  With only 4 weeks, by the time I felt the effects from the one race, I was already into my taper.  But my 10 mile race is still the most fun I've ever had as a runner, and I credit it to racing it off the higher mileage that I'd been doing.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I like the way you guys think.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I'm rehashing this thread.

I found out that there's a Monday 15K on Labor Day.  This is interesting because I'd be running a 10-12 mile run with cruise intervals on Tuesday anyway.  So, it becomes a pretty simple swap, and a good distance from my following weekends quality/long run.  So, if I were to add it in, my race schedule would look like this.

September 2nd - 15K

September 28th - HM

November 2nd - Marathon

They seem to be spaced out well, and there's a nice progression there.  Also, I promise this is the only other race I'm considering between now and my marathon.  No way in hell would I race in August around here....lol  Anyway, does this make as much sense as I'd like to believe it does?

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I like that spacing!  I've only run up to the HM distance but looking at that, it would appeal to me if I ever ABOLSOLUTELY LOST MY MIND ENOUGH TO EVARRRR WANT TO RUN A FULL!

But seriously, the schedule looks sound!

Randy

Bin Running

Take what I posted with a pinch of salt.. Cos look at my sech.. haa

King of the Road 16.8K - 11 Aug

Army HM - 1 Sep

Yellow Ribbon 10K - 15 Sep

Newton 32K - 20 Oct

I have 4 races lined up from now till a possible 01 Dec full... maybe 1 more 10K in between...

What I did is I subsitute the LR with the race as they provide a good distraction from the boring run by myself weekend LR.. The fee is reasonable and we get pretty decent tech tee for it.. I don't intend to race all out except the 10K..

Ideally, you should not have to do the 2 races.. but i can understand cos I can't help it myself.. haa

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

meaghansketch

That spacing looks good to me!

Mine is pretty similar:

08/03- 5-mile race (schedule has 5K, but this is an important race for my team; I figure the swap is not a big deal)

09/02- 10K

10/06- HM

11/03- Marathon

The HM and marathon are maybe a week closer than I would like-- I think your spacing might be a bit more ideal-- but this is what's available in my area.  In the past I've felt fully recovered within a month, even though I've raced the HM hard.