Beginners and Beyond

Please Help Me Choose a Plan: Pfitz 18/55 or Daniels? (Read 68 times)

I'll run my second FM on October 20. So, training will commence in June.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

Docket_Rocket

I am partial to Pfitz because it works better for my asthma so I would recommend it.  I like Pfitz because it is challenging and higher mileage (I use the 18/70). It has a tempo day and some runs with a large portion at MP.

Cons: I like to do some more varied LRs as in fast finishes or MP + 10% and the last 5 progressive and stuff, which Pfitz lacks.

I have not use Daniels for marathons but I used it for 10Ks and I like the ladder workouts. i believe it has more intervals than Pfitz but I am not sure intervals will be better than tempo runs.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Love the Half

I'm not sure why you say Pfitz is higher mileage.  Daniels doesn't prescribe mileage.  He says pick the maximum miles you will run during the training period and then each week is a certain percentage of that mileage.

The main difference between the plans is in the philosophy.  Daniels focuses on developing speed before turning to endurance and then race specific training.  Pfitz focuses on endurance, then switches to speed, and closes with race specific workouts.  The question is, which is easier to maintain once developed, speed or endurance?  I'm partial to Daniels because I think you lose endurance more quickly than you lose your speed.  Then again, that could be something that's more individual.  If, like me, you find it easy to develop speed but you struggle with developing endurance, Daniels is probably a better fit.  If endurance comes easily for you but you struggle to work on your speed, then Pfitz may be better.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I only know Daniels, but he has more than one marathon plan.  I used plan A for my last HM.  I like that it is broken into phases.  He also has 2 quality workouts per week and the rest of the mileage is up to you.  You just have to meet a percentage of your peak miles by the end of the week.  It can be 70-100 percent depending on the week.  On weeks with lower mileage, the quality workout tends to be more intense.  The long runs are rarely boring.  They usually have some tempo bout, marathon paced miles or something along those lines.  I really like it.  I hear a lot of people say that marathon plans don't help your 5K times.  I made huge gains in my 5K on his marathon plan.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

I meant it as compared to other training programs, like Higdon and stuff, not as a direct comparison with Daniels.

I like Daniels as I used it for my 10K last year.  However, for me, the speedwork is too much for my lungs and it affects the rest of the week, so I have not attempt him for a marathon yet.  As my asthma improves that will change.

I'm not sure why you say Pfitz is higher mileage.  Daniels doesn't prescribe mileage.  He says pick the maximum miles you will run during the training period and then each week is a certain percentage of that mileage.

The main difference between the plans is in the philosophy.  Daniels focuses on developing speed before turning to endurance and then race specific training.  Pfitz focuses on endurance, then switches to speed, and closes with race specific workouts.  The question is, which is easier to maintain once developed, speed or endurance?  I'm partial to Daniels because I think you lose endurance more quickly than you lose your speed.  Then again, that could be something that's more individual.  If, like me, you find it easy to develop speed but you struggle with developing endurance, Daniels is probably a better fit.  If endurance comes easily for you but you struggle to work on your speed, then Pfitz may be better.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Over on the main forum of RA they say such incredible things about Running Wizard, I finally drank the Kool Aid and will be using it for my fall half marathon. The plans are longer (recommended to do as close to 24 weeks  as possible....I'm doing 20 so I can start after my May 10K as RW does not recommend racing at race effort during the plan and I want to race that 10K). Plan goes in phases that build off each other.... aerobic base building, hill work, (something I'm forgetting, but it is speed focused), coordination, and then the taper. The plan is based of Lydiard's training principals, which de-emphasize the long run. You will not run longer than 2.5hours during the plan, even for a marathon. I have never run a half or full before so I can't attest personally to any of this, but very experienced runners on RA main forum swear by this plan. Their advice was enough to convince me...may be worth a look.Nobby, a RA user is one of the developers, PM him if you want to learn more, or check out main forum threads.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to