Beginners and Beyond

Tuesday Penguins , carpe diem - seize the day! (Read 218 times)

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

*snork*   I <3 Scotty.

russalka

Question --- (I think I know the answer but just want to confirm)

The benefits of a long, slow run are not negated by a quick (< 5 min) break, are they?  I'm planning a route for my 8 - 9 mile LR this Saturday, and one option is an out-n-back that has me turning around very close to my gym.  If I elect this route, I won't bother carrying water since I'll have the option of popping into the gym to get a drink and use the bathroom if needed.  As long as I don't dawdle, that should be okay, right?

It will be fine.  I've done this before, especially when it's hot during the summer and I need to refill my water bottle.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Well, gee, ladies, if any of you get overheated from overdressing, please feel free to call on me, I'll be glad to help you unlayer.  Big grin

Glad your knee is feeling a bit better, HsM!  Well, I had to apologize to Gail AND the cats because I told Gail last night that mouse is probably long gone, maybe chewed its way through the wall.  My one cat, P2, gave me a LOOK when I said that, as if she understood me, and then she plopped down right in front of the cabinet and waited, as if to tell me "Well, I know it's in there, even if you don't."  lol.  Yep, they proved me wrong, all right.  

Congrats on your 5K, Traci, and the new PR, way to go!  Congrats to your DD too, for hating running, she seems to be doing pretty darn well. Christmas music AND lights, nice, must have been quite the experience.

I was literally working from Saturday am until I got home Monday at 7pm.  Wow, Liz, who knew there was such a demand for horse doctors!  Sorry the run did not go well, hope you have more enjoyable miles after you get some rest and ditch the compression tights. I'm with you on those...except it's usually my big butt that screams "Let me out!  Let me out right now!  Too tight, too tight!  Suffocating....!"  Joking

Nice, Tomas!  Hope your team makes it!

I looked at my pinky toe which had been annoying me the whole run, and realized it'd turned to a huge blister  Funny you should mention that, SheCan.  Gail has an appointment at the podiatrist tomorrow for her little toe, which has had this thing on it for about 2 months and now she is limping.  She is stubborn and wouldn't make the appointment earlier when it was hurting, but not so bad.  I have been telling her for the last 3 weeks she needs to make an appointment, but noooo, it will go away.  No it didn't.  Finally a few days ago she asked me to look at it again. Why? I'm not a doc. She said "What do you think?"  I said "You need a toe job."   And then I ducked as she swung at me.  Wink  So why did she finally make the appointment?  Cuz her SHOES told her too, she got all miffed when she couldn't get her foot into her favorite pair of shoes.   Yeah, don't listen to the hubby, let the shoes tell you.. Joking  Anyway, hope yours does not get as bad as hers did.

Hope your miles go well, Mitch.  Are you done with shift work for a while?

Awood, you are putting up 2,000 holiday lights?  Wow.  Or are you going to run under 2,000 holiday lights? 

Margo, I don't think you'll get any negative effects.  Kind of like stopping at the water table during a race, right?  You drink and then keep on racing.

Mike, I bet Suzie is up there cheering us all along and I bet she appreciates your miles done for her.  Happy running.  I think we should keep Suzie as a Penguin and make her now our official Penguin Colony Guardian Angel.  

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Wandering Wally

Scotty - Once a Penguin, always a Penguin.  I'm all for having Suzie as our Penguin Colony Guardian Angel.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

SheCan

Thank you, Scotty!  That story made me laugh!  Nooooo, I'm not gonna pull a Gail.  I'm pampering this toe, because i don't like pain.  If it gets much uglier, I'll run to the doctor.  Pinky toe promise!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Philliefan33

I love the idea of Suzielea being our Guardian Angel.  We could even change our thread opener to read something like:

Basically, in the manner of our Guardian Angel Suzielea, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!

Maybe some of our resident writers could come up with something more elegant?  I'm a chemist -- the only things I write are technical reports and patent applications.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Awood, you are putting up 2,000 holiday lights?  Wow.  Or are you going to run under 2,000 holiday lights? 

I'm putting up an additional 2,000 lights.  I think we got 2,500 up last night.  We still have a ways to go.  We started this a few years ago, and the neighborhood seems to have followed suit.  Now, we're just trying to add a bit each year to stay ahead, but some have already gone so far that we may never catch them now.  There's a house down the street that looks like it's made of LED lights.  They don't have our most popular decoration though.  We have a snowman that rides a motorcycle with a penguin on the back.  I've seen imitations, but everyone stops every year to find out if we'll sell it, or where we got it.  I'm not telling.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

eatrunlivehappy

mom/superwoman

ERLH- Good luck on the tempo run!  I don't remember a lot about what you normally run, but that's a *huge* difference between your warm up and your tempo miles.  Is that a pace you are going to be able to hold for 20 minutes?  When my easy pace was 12, I think I did my tempos around 10MM and still was hating life before they were done.

You were right! I did 5 minutes at 5mph then moved up to 6mph.  I knew after the next 5 minutes that I was not going to go any faster today.  I was at a 2.0 incline.  I did 20 minutes at a 10mpm pace and then 5 more at a 12 mpm pace.  It was a good run for me! I feel great.

Young mother cooking, eating, and running for both mental and physical health.  And I'm not as serious as that makes me sound :) www.eatrunlivehappy.com

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Cancelled the health club due to the last nice day.  DW wanted to run, and it felt so good on the bike path, we went out 4 miles and back at 10:15 mpm. Felt great the whole way and had enough left for fast finish (had to pee).  Even ran the dreaded bridge at 3 mile mark both ways.  

Tori Runs in PA

Pittsburgh RN!

HOLY CRAP! 

I found my penguins!!!! 

Big grin

Do or do not, there is no try. 

My first races EVER! 

Saxonburg Distance Series 5KRaces: 

#1: 7-14-2012 Cross Country Crusade 5K: 42:50 

#2: 8-11-2012 Roebling's Run 5K: 38:54

#3: 9-8-2012 Festival of the Arts 5K: 36:37

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

YAY...Tori's here!!!

Streak Update

Tonight 6.16 miles

Days: 11

Total: 61.16 miles

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Tori Runs in PA

Pittsburgh RN!

Scotty - Once a Penguin, always a Penguin.  I'm all for having Suzie as our Penguin Colony Guardian Angel.

+1 infinited for this ^. 

Do or do not, there is no try. 

My first races EVER! 

Saxonburg Distance Series 5KRaces: 

#1: 7-14-2012 Cross Country Crusade 5K: 42:50 

#2: 8-11-2012 Roebling's Run 5K: 38:54

#3: 9-8-2012 Festival of the Arts 5K: 36:37

TooStupidToStop

Rach^

Rach, moving is so stressfull but having movers helps.  And since I fail at reading all the penguin threads where are you moving from and too?

That's okay. I am moving from Virginia to Alaska. Even though I have movers moving me, it's still a pain in the butt. Today the plane tickets were bought and reservations were made for Baylee (our dog) to travel with us.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

HOLY CRAP! 

I found my penguins!!!! 

Big grin

You had us worried. Blush

Docket_Rocket

Hi!

I read everything but I just worked 11 hours and I'm really tired and hungry.  I need a hug...or a drink!

See you tomorrow!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page